Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 07:19 AM

9,732 posts, read 4,062,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
So now you know never to engage the services of a moving company without ensuring they are a nationally-known, long-established company (Allied, Atlas, United and North American Van Lines are the best

When we moved we went with a local, long established moving company. A friend recommended them. We were really pleased. They did a good job, and seemed to take pride in their work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 10:24 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
So now you know never to engage the services of a moving company without ensuring they are a nationally-known, long-established company (Allied, Atlas, United and North American Van Lines are the best), AND checking carefully with your local Better Business Bureau for the reputation of the companies on your short list.

Now also, you should be on the phone talking with your new employer's relocation person and urging them to resolve the problems.

I wish you resolution and peace of mind.

You would be surprised who the Better Business Bureau actually do let on their list from time to time!

We've been in the construction business for over thirty years and cannot believe some of the companies we see listed, when they are the worst in the business.

My sediments on your move also Suzie. Never fun at the best of times.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:52 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Hang in there and keep us updated. The pest control people should be able to speak to the safety of their product.
Yeah the pest control person told me that anything that would go in the mouth should be washed or put away. He also told me that because of the short time our stuff was in storage we probably didn't have a nest just a bunch of ants. In the end we chose not to have the inside of our house treated. We used little traps and we seem to be ant free now.

Now we have to file claims for all the broken stuff. Only once before we had to file a claim and it was for only two things. We have about 10 things so far. Amazing.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:09 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Our movers were horrible too! I was pleased at first thinking everything was okay, a little glitch here and there no big. Now we are unpacking and they just threw crap all into boxes, nothing was labeled correctly and they put all the boxes in the basement.

They pulled the same trick on us not having the proper tools, but managed to put son's bed together. Of course when he went to go to bed, the entire bed just fell apart..

Old 07-11-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Our movers were horrible too! I was pleased at first thinking everything was okay, a little glitch here and there no big. Now we are unpacking and they just threw crap all into boxes, nothing was labeled correctly and they put all the boxes in the basement.

They pulled the same trick on us not having the proper tools, but managed to put son's bed together. Of course when he went to go to bed, the entire bed just fell apart..

Yeah I specifically told them I wanted to pack my own clothes because last time they threw in the bathroom rugs inside a wardrobe box with my clean clothes. They told me they wouldn't do that. Instead they threw a dirty old mop inside my baby's dresser. And of course the bathroom rugs in with my nice pillow. I hate moving. We just have to stop doing it.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:03 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
We are doing a company relocation. We were given a choice of three moving companies. We just picked one. It is horrible.
First they came in and packed our stuff on the scheduled day. Then on pick up day around noon they tell us that the truck broke down so they can't pick up on that day. I guess stuff happens. We told them that we had plane ticket for the next day. They said the would have everything out of our house before we had to leave. They hired extra people. Well the driver was there a 7AM. The extra people strolled in at 8:30 which for a very grouchy driver. They took everything out of the house and we left. We made it to the airport within 5 minutes of being allowed to board. Then we run through the airport and somehow made it.
Our stuff arrived in California 2 days before closing so it went into storage. Everything started out OK. They asked which room each piece of furniture went and put it there. Then the one in charge tells me there are some boxes that aren't labeled. Where do I want them? I tell him. The next thing I realized is that he was referring to all the boxes. Now we have clearly labeled boxes all over the place. We have yet to find our pillows. He also said we don't have tools so we can't put the legs back onto your tables. He actually told me first and then my dh. He didn't seem happy when we told them we had a tool box. He also walked in into our master bedroom and announced that they couldn't put the bed together because there was stuff in the middle. Amazing. This is their job. Needless to say we didn't tip them. This is actually the first move we haven't tipped.
And if things couldn't get worse. When we unwrapped our couch we found out it is full of ants. Now we can't continue unpacking for fear we will spread them around. They are going to hear us on Monday. This is the worst move ever.
Just wanted to vent.
At least you got all your stuff. LOTS of people have moved and hired movers, and the movers have stolen all their stuff. Sorry to hear you got a bum deal, though. Try to keep this in mind though: This probably won't matter next year.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticPhoenix View Post
Sorry to hear you got a bum deal, though. Try to keep this in mind though: This probably won't matter next year.
Yeah, but I wanted to vent. Ants are gone so I am happier now. We also finally got TV, telephone and internet connected after 2 weeks going stir(sp?) crazy.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:55 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Yeah, but I wanted to vent. Ants are gone so I am happier now. We also finally got TV, telephone and internet connected after 2 weeks going stir(sp?) crazy.
Glad things are going better suzie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues