U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-07-2008, 06:59 AM

27 posts, read 71,983 times
Default Moving Company that moves cars too...

Can anyone recommend a moving company that can also move a car? So far I have gotten three moving company quotes and only one company moves the car themselves the rest all sub it out to another company. My preference is to have the one company do BOTH. I want my stuff and my car to show up at the same time. Like I said, I found one, but I would like to get three quotes to compare. If you have done this for a long distance move, please let me know who you used and if it was a good experience. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 08:39 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,040,343 times
Any of the bigger companies usually do cars? They have HUGE trucks that can basically fit a couple average size "houses" inside them. I had never moved long distance before until last September (Cleveland to Phoenix), so didnt know what to expect. The guy shows up and shows me inside the truck. There are already 2 people's entire lives in there and 3 vehicles! The way they do it is they build platforms across the ceiling of the truck and stack most of your "stuff" there. Then they drive the vehicle right under the platform. They cover the vehicle and build a sort of little wall around it-and put stuff between the wall and sides of the truck.

My furniture and vehicle left Cleveland August 15 or 16. It arrived in Phoenix about a week later. (Lucky for me I had enough "disposable furniture" to get me through from then until when I flew out on September 1. The kind you "throw out as you walk out the door the last time".) By the time I arrived in Phoenix September 1, my car was parked in my garage, and my larger furnishings (ie tables, beds) were reassembled and in their proper place. My leasing agent was also really great by giving them access to do all this while I wasnt even here.

Tho there was the months worth of emptying boxes that followed. ;-)

I think the company that moved me was Atlas Van Lines - Berman Moving & Storage. It was a company relocation so my job chose them. They did a good job. My company even paid them to pack my stuff. I do know the cost was way ridiculous. And it wasnt like I had a 10 BR house. I had a 2BR townhouse and 1 car. I rented so no large appliances. Just regular furniture and personal belongings. Net net I think the final total came in around $15K for everything. I know it would be less if you packed. They charge by weight.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:48 AM

4,509 posts, read 7,808,033 times
I think the problem is asking for a recommendation - along with the "will they move a car question".

I actually know of a moving company that moves cars but I would not "recommend" them. My last move cost more than the cost of a new automobile and it was excruciating.

Much luck to you dealing with moving companies.

I will move myself next time!~

Old 07-12-2008, 06:49 PM

55,121 posts, read 26,310,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annapolis to Austin View Post
Can anyone recommend a moving company that can also move a car? So far I have gotten three moving company quotes and only one company moves the car themselves the rest all sub it out to another company. My preference is to have the one company do BOTH. I want my stuff and my car to show up at the same time. Like I said, I found one, but I would like to get three quotes to compare. If you have done this for a long distance move, please let me know who you used and if it was a good experience. Thanks in advance.
Try uship.com, you can post a listing to move the car and put it up for auction. No obligation to accept a bid, and you can set the parameters, i.e. date to arrive etc.

uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Vehicles or Moves

Old 07-12-2008, 07:03 PM

24 posts, read 52,107 times
i just recvd a great quote from aa automovers.com and took it immediately. Maybe you should think about using Pods or FlexBox for the rest of your move. Quite inexpensive as moves go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues