U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-12-2008, 09:39 AM

17,192 posts, read 20,203,102 times

Advertisements

My instinct tells me that I would be more comfortable, and better off, loading up a few PODs of small stuff, and unloading them at my leisure, and only having a mover move the big heavy stuff. I would use PODs exclusively except for the lack of muscle to load and unload.
Which method of moving is more cost effective? Those who have used PODS, did you like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 12:55 PM

5,269 posts, read 11,713,232 times
We received the first of two PODs yesterday and filled it to capacity this morning....it is amazing how much furniture and boxes we were able to fit into one 16 foot pod. It is $189 a month for us to store each pod plus $10 a month to insure each pod. We are moving from California to Kentucky and it will cost us a about $7500 by the time we pay rent for a few months...we are hoping to get a house into escrow ASAP.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:24 PM

2,674 posts, read 3,937,403 times
gentlearts,
You can hire temporary labor, Labor Ready, etc., if they are available in your area. Another option is that some moving companies will hire out their laborers to just load and unload.
I moved from SC to PA via ABF cubes and Labor Ready. Movers estimate was $6300. My actual cost was $1600.
I have now used ABF twice and all I can say is they are an outstanding company and a pleasure to deal with. Price quote was the actual price, no add-ons and no extras.
Don

Old 07-15-2008, 02:36 PM

294 posts, read 722,671 times
We used ABF Pods, loved them, will be using them again when we next move.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:53 PM

5,269 posts, read 11,713,232 times
I looked into ABF - we have quite a lot of things to move - many large pieces of antique furniture. I found out that ABF uses freight trucks and that they are not appropriate for moving fine furniture. We have friends whose son and family just moved from Pennsylvania to Las Vegas - they used ABF. The bulkhead that is supposed to separate your things from freight and other cargo - came loose - their things were thrown all over the truck and they suffered major damage to most of their things.....with Pods we completely controlled the environment in which our things were moved....we locked everything up with our lock - it was sealed by the Pod's person who picked up each pod....and we will be the next people to open those pods...they are stored in a climate controlled, secured building until we send for them - they are never moved back and forth - only up and down on the truck.....after looking into the differences between moving with ABF and Pods. Pods are spotless - the freight trucks that ABF uses are not always clean. In our case any way, PODs were the better way to go.

Last edited by Cattknap; 07-15-2008 at 09:19 PM..

Old 07-17-2008, 06:43 AM

294 posts, read 722,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I looked into ABF - we have quite a lot of things to move - many large pieces of antique furniture. I found out that ABF uses freight trucks and that they are not appropriate for moving fine furniture. We have friends whose son and family just moved from Pennsylvania to Las Vegas - they used ABF. The bulkhead that is supposed to separate your things from freight and other cargo - came loose - their things were thrown all over the truck and they suffered major damage to most of their things.....with Pods we completely controlled the environment in which our things were moved....we locked everything up with our lock - it was sealed by the Pod's person who picked up each pod....and we will be the next people to open those pods...they are stored in a climate controlled, secured building until we send for them - they are never moved back and forth - only up and down on the truck.....after looking into the differences between moving with ABF and Pods. Pods are spotless - the freight trucks that ABF uses are not always clean. In our case any way, PODs were the better way to go.
ABF have PODS and Freight Trucks, we used the PODS with ABF. In actual fact there are a few companies that do PODS: PODS (the company), ABF(Upack) and Pack Rat.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:18 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,685,872 times
Quote:
. Pods are spotless - the freight trucks that ABF uses are not always clean. In our case any way, PODs were the better way to go.
This isn't really an issue anyway. It's not like the truck is going to touch your stuff, your stuff will be inside the pod.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:18 AM

4,038 posts, read 8,610,901 times
Just a couple of thoughts about ABF which we used, were very satisfied with, and would use again.

1. Not every location has pod delivery so you have to haul your stuff from the nearest depot yourself. However, they can deliver the trailers anywhere providing there is space to park it at your location.

2. The movers I hired to load my trailer said ABF stands for "Already Broken Freight". They said the ABF trailers have to be packed especially carefully because they "ride hard". Evidently they did a good job packing mine as everything made the trip OK.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:05 PM

3,971 posts, read 6,236,421 times
Quote:
We received the first of two PODs yesterday and filled it to capacity this morning....it is amazing how much furniture and boxes we were able to fit into one 16 foot pod. It is $189 a month for us to store each pod plus $10 a month to insure each pod. We are moving from California to Kentucky and it will cost us a about $7500 by the time we pay rent for a few months...we are hoping to get a house into escrow ASAP.
If you move to another location or state is it easy to transfer the pod? I think $185 a month to move yourself is great!

Old 03-13-2009, 10:51 AM

153 posts, read 363,094 times
We used ABF's Relocubes. We had 2 cubes and we packed them ourselves. ABF drove them from UT to NC and when they arrived (a day earlier than expected! good), everything inside was in the same place we put it. We even had to tie a loveseat to the ceiling! lol for space (our couch was too long for the cube and we had to get creative and push the couch up on an angle with the tied loveseat above it, if that made sense)...all in all, it cost us $1900 for ABF's fees. Not bad at all for a cross country move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues