U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 01:33 PM

538 posts, read 1,657,446 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are both born and bred in Southern Calif. We both want to relocate to the east coast as soon as our second daughter graduates in 2010. We would like to be closer to family in NJ and CT, we do not have family here anymore.

Our first choice was NJ until we realized the cost of living with property tax (we still have younger kids in school) would be just as bad as CA. Then I set my sights on PA., close to family and NYC, which I love, and less expensive than Orange County CA. We are looking at areas like Exton, Chester Springs, etc.
I am also wondering if we would like No. Virginia or MD, as I have friends in those areas, and know someone that just moved there (Fairfax) from Philly and loves it. I am so confused because everyone from NJ wants to move to PA, people from PA want to move to NC, and I know my friend from VA wants to move to TN.
All I know is we want to get out of the rat race that is So. Cal. It is just too expensive to raise a family here unless you are very wealthy. My husband is a the VP of National Sales for his company and they want him to start up the east coast but we can decide where to live. Any suggestions as to where we would fit in the best, or which state would be the best for us?
We have four children, three girls, one 19 (in college), 16 (a junior in Sept.)14 (a freshman in Sept) and a 10 yr old son. We would like to own a home in the 400k-600k range in a safe neighborhood with good schools. I would like to be somewhat close to shopping (i.e Target, grocery store, Barnes & Noble, etc) at least within 10-15 min. I am a freelance graphic designer so I can work out of my home.
Thanks for any opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 05:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,422 posts, read 39,784,645 times
Delaware is pretty central and has advantageous taxes.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:57 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,231,287 times
With your budget and occupations, I would look at some of the bedroom communities of North New Jersey. Close to NYC, and Philly. There are several, no names come to mind, small towns that are nice, good schools, easy travel with trains and planes close. Also, easy turnpike access for road trips. Compare the tax expense with other states or communities, it may be less than you think.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:01 AM

5,820 posts, read 13,286,968 times
We moved from NJ to upstate NY (Saratoga). Beautiful area, friendly people, $6K property tax for 3 acres/$275K new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or