U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Indiana: cross country moving companies, relocation movers, mortgage.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:22 PM

10,732 posts, read 31,719,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I guess I'm weird because I don't care to have neighbors too cozy. I speak and wave to mine but I like my privacy and distance. I like having my friends and maybe even neighbors over when I want them over. But I've never cared much for the just drop-in visits from anyone. Not even family.
I just recently moved to Alaska,which is quite far from family and old friends and I'm quite enjoying not being around people I already knew. I like meeting new people. I like cold weather and mountains and nature..........like I said-it was an easy transition for me. But then I don't get too attached to people I guess.
I'm the same way. I am friendly but not too much.

I guess I will say it since no one else has.

TO THE OP:

Paragraphs are your friend, your LONG post would have been alot easier to get through had it been seperated into paragraphs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 11:28 AM

538 posts, read 1,656,282 times
I am so sorry to hear about your experience of moving, and all the unmet expectations and broken promises. I am curious, do you think you would feel as miserable if everything had gone as planned and finances were not an issue?

I think that moving away from all you know is hard enough but then mixing in all the financial hardship, and the twists and turns of the move and the job, has probably made a bad situation worse. I think there is something to be said for renting when it comes to relocating to a new state. You need to get a feel for the different areas and variety of people. Once you buy a home I think you feel "stuck" and it makes your move even more difficult.
If you have kids it should make it a little easier. Get them involved and try to make some connections with other moms. It surprises me that people there are not welcoming, as the Mid West is usually known for a more laid back, friendly type of people. You probably won't make that one "good friend" on the first try, just keep making connections through school, church, walking the neighborhood.
I hope that things get better, being homesick in miserable. If you still feel the same after a year or so you should consider going back home. Don't look at it as a failure but just a shot at a better life that didn't work out the way you had planned. Besides, who cares what other's say or think if it was makes you and your family happy. I wish you the best whatever the decision.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:15 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,381,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reese7 View Post
Thefirst issue is to never let your husband pick out a home. I didn't like this house even after he sent me pictures. I didn't even more after seeing it. I know he did his best but after he saw what I was talking about he doesn't want to be there either. One issue is that several rooms are dark and have these dark areas in them, like a cottage. There are siders everywhere even though I had the home sprayed. My kids got bite one on the face and it was really big. Also the landlord after this inspector thing just didn't fix anything. The kitchen has no window it is like in the middle of the house and again is very dark. It gives me the creaps. The upstairs my teenager won't sleep in and I don't blame him. I just have a really bad feeling about this house and we haven't even moved our stuff in.
Wow, reese, I feel so bad for you. I know we chatted about the bug issue and it seems your worst fears are coming true there. I hope that is not what I am going to face. I am leaving on Aug. 15th. Husband is there and says there are no bugs. But he knows how I feel and my DD is worse than me.

Can you get out of the lease? How is the general area that you are in? Does it seem nice? I have heard that NC is nice, but everyone has their own opinions. Beside the house, how do you feel about it? Are you sure you just don't like it because you so did not want to move?

Keep us posted-DM me if you need to vent. Hang in there, it can get better.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:36 PM

181 posts, read 557,262 times
Well we did get out of the lease she said she would keep the security deposit. Why I don't know she didn't fix anthing she said she was going to. she said she was going to charge us 200.00 for a light she replaced that didn't work in the first place. I just glad to get out of the lease. I'm not saying my husband didn't try but there was no way. Most of the house was like a cottage up north. There are dark areas and the kids got bit by spiders and there were lots, even after spraying. We did find another place it is almost brand new, smaller than that house or our old house but more comfortable. It also is in a different area. The heat bothers me . I have never like air conditioning. I miss the Michigan air and the windows open. I haven't had a chance to miss my family and friends as we have been in a hotel. My husband goes to work and I stay here with 4 kids and loose my mind. I think Tuesday we can moce into the other house. My husband also said he saw nothing. I hope your move goes better. I also had the flu for a few days after getting here. Things have to get better.. I hope

Old 07-25-2008, 08:40 PM

6,262 posts, read 17,328,045 times
glad you found something else and of course they keep the deposit--they always do. The house we moved from before moving to Juneau; I left MUCH cleaner than when I moved in-MUCH. They kept the 1200.00 deposit. Most landlords are a******s.
I hope you feel better soon. There is some flu like crud making the rounds here too.
YOu should,maybe, get used to a/c though maybe not the power bill that goes along with it. There is certainly no a/c in Juneau. The coldest summer I've spent in my life has been here----and it's been great!!
Keep posting to let us know how you're doing!!

Quote:
Well we did get out of the lease she said she would keep the security deposit. Why I don't know she didn't fix anthing she said she was going to. she said she was going to charge us 200.00 for a light she replaced that didn't work in the first place. I just glad to get out of the lease. I'm not saying my husband didn't try but there was no way. Most of the house was like a cottage up north. There are dark areas and the kids got bit by spiders and there were lots, even after spraying. We did find another place it is almost brand new, smaller than that house or our old house but more comfortable. It also is in a different area. The heat bothers me . I have never like air conditioning. I miss the Michigan air and the windows open. I haven't had a chance to miss my family and friends as we have been in a hotel. My husband goes to work and I stay here with 4 kids and loose my mind. I think Tuesday we can moce into the other house. My husband also said he saw nothing. I hope your move goes better. I also had the flu for a few days after getting here. Things have to get better.. I hope

Old 07-26-2008, 02:32 AM

2,015 posts, read 4,652,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommapc View Post
Okay so to help me and others I am writing about my issues with the whole relocating thing. My hubby got a job in IN we packed up relo was paid for. Had issues with moving truck driver and people who moved us. About 4 things were missing and men didn't arrive on time as they were called in from 2 states over. Had issues with relo package and what they pay, please people get an itemized list of what they pay for, because we owed them in the end not knowing in advance how much. Hubby had a great job and just got a raise before we left, but he traveled extensively and this new job would have him be home, we have 4 kiddos, overwhelmed am I at times. Well it has now been a year, what has happened is this: 4 months of sick to my stomach he\\. I was homesick couldn't shake it as much as I wanted to think positively and wow I live in a 3600 sq. foot house and appreciate it, just couldn't do it. It was like I felt this overwhelming sick feeling as soon as we got to the house to unpack. Felt very isolated and confused if we made the right decision. On top of all of this is he wasn't getting paid what was promised either. He was hired to be a manager and 6 of the people who hired him in as a group 3 relocated themselves and the other 3 were slowly laid off or let go. We gained alot with new mortgage and we were depending on the new pay. This has made us short every month, 'causing more grief. It took them 8 months to get his paycheck right how much commission and salary. Still not to where it should be. First of all the housing market took a dump and the economy and gas are ridiculous. My hubbys job is directly related to the housing industry, needless to say he was sent here to be a great boss and although he's thriving somewhat its caused alot of heartache, everyone back east misses us. We also miss them dearly, we originally thought, oh yeah this will be our great big adventure. Its been a long winter, short paycheck, clannish type neighbors that only say hi and keep walking, we're coming from a place where we'd have like 10 kids at our house, here they are hermits. We are looking to move back. The schools are nice and my house is nice, but thats it. The taxes are low, but thats because you have to buy the school supplies for your kids, I have never had to do this. The added cost is worth paying more taxes back east than I don't have to worry about it. Its more expensive in gas and in groceries, I have compared and have recently been back east and its less. I feel like we were suckered into this and the only rewards we have gotten are a big house and hubby being home, which is a big plus but thats it. We needed the space and we needed my hubby to be home, but we have no one over because we hardly know anyone and our neighbors act like if you haven't known them your whole life than you ain't in the magic circle. Know what I mean?? I am a survivor by nature I take on challenges, hey I've had 4 kids thats proof but I can honestly say since we've moved it has not made us happier in the least in fact quite the contrary its made us sad, we may be a little closer but always worrying about money and not being able to go anywhere is hard. I did lose 20 pounds through exercising a sort of mind over matter thing. I think when you have a big family and your always at functions and your always with them its great, but now we can't even see them even if we're bored and don't have any money. We just sit in the house and veg. My husband looks sad and I feel it. Our kids are resilient, but they miss back home too. I don't want to sound like a whiner and I thought that I was tough skinned person. I gotta tell ya though, if you grew up with certain things and ideals and familiarity and then go to something totally different like move from the east coast to the midwest 9.5 hours a way, its a shock to the system and still a year later hasn't gone away. Stay with family eveyone, we are trying to get back, we sort of regret coming here, maybe if the paycheck was better we'd not be so hung up on it. We thought it was a great opportunity, but we're just not thriving. I know that this is long and drawn out, but I hope that I've helped others see what relo can do, stay with family when it comes down to it, even if you visit a couple of times a year your still out of the loop and your still away. We want to be back. Even if lives get busy and kids get older you still have them close by if you want to take a drive and see them.

Where is "back East"??? You mention that you moved to Indiana but not where you moved from.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:38 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,381,590 times
Quote:

You don't like heat and you didn't use A/C in MI??? Wow, you are awesome! I have to have my air. It gets way too humid here. I can't stand to be baking hot in my house. But, I do love the open air too.

That really bums me out about the fact that your hub said he didn't see anything either. But, I kind of figured since they don't bother them, they don't see them. Plus, they are at work or sleeping most of the time. Well, my time is coming soon! I hope you love your new home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or