U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-23-2008, 06:58 PM

9,800 posts, read 7,179,345 times
Default Need info on truck cab space

Still considering ideas on how to move my apartment we have crossed off comercial movers and can't get a large cargo van for a one way move. Which leaves a rental truck.

The 12 foot truck would hold all my stuff as would likely the 10 foot, both which take only two but have bucket seats. I've got price comparisons but one of the considerations is space in the cab.

For three the only option seems to be a uhaul 14 ft truck. The drawback is the newer ones would be reaaaalllllyyyy uncomfortable for one perched on the bench seat over a big hump. and there will be a cat carrier. The dog can sit on the floor but I'll have to hold the cat in that one.

For two seat truck cabs that go one way and are within the 10 to 12 ft range, who has the best cab with the most room?

Getting so tired of this stuff, wish I was already moved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 08:07 PM

2,419 posts, read 3,456,502 times
How far away are you moving?

Old 07-23-2008, 08:49 PM

9,800 posts, read 7,179,345 times
From CA to OK, abut 1400 miles. We plan one stop but may take two. I'm okay with holding the carrier on my lap.

Considering a mesh sided carrier as it would be easier to hold.

Penske is cheaper and larger but we haven't had the chance to look at their trucks

Old 07-23-2008, 08:53 PM

2,419 posts, read 3,456,502 times
Oh ok. Almost as far as I am moving

Penske trucks are nice, I rented one for a local move last year. I was very impressed. You can get a great discount for being a AAA member

Old 07-23-2008, 10:32 PM

11,151 posts, read 9,337,278 times
This is a difficult question to answer, as companies often have different truck brands within their fleets. Probably your best option is to go to the location you'd be renting from and look at the trucks in person -- take a measuring tape with you, and actually measure the space. I'm planning to do that later this week (we're hitting the road next week), just to make sure there will be enough room for everything that absolutely, positively HAS to go in the cab .....

Old 12-01-2008, 10:37 PM

3 posts, read 10,771 times
Try Penske Rentals. They seem to be the quality guys. I'm doing my own move from Ft Lauderdale to LA after many, many "professional" moving companies. Don't trust ANY of them....they look and act like they know it all and talk like they just got out of prison. My last move cost $18K and man was it disappointing...broken and damage things and stuff missing. ALL my $20/ea wardrobe boxes were crushed & unusable (Knowlton Moving in Rockland, ME) and with photos with my complaints,they didn't even respond! You must find (Craigslist) an experienced packer...that talent is critically important for a tight pack and efficient move. Students are what I am hiring...Hispanics are great workers. Renting two 26 footers and have two buddies (to each other) who are my designated drivers....cheaper if drivers are over 21. Good luck.
Gordon

Old 12-02-2008, 07:49 AM

23,512 posts, read 30,966,214 times
We used Penske to move from NJ to FL. Their trucks only have two bucket seats, no bench. Are you taking a car? On our move I drove the car, my husband drove the truck, and our son switched back and forth as a passenger between the two. The animals were with me in the car.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:29 AM

12,142 posts, read 21,562,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We used Penske to move from NJ to FL. Their trucks only have two bucket seats, no bench. Are you taking a car? On our move I drove the car, my husband drove the truck, and our son switched back and forth as a passenger between the two. The animals were with me in the car.
It all depends on the size of the truck rented. All the larger ones I have seen from Penske have a bench seat. The 16' and under size usually have bucket seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues