U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 936 times

Advertisements

Why is it that a certified DD 214 (military discharge document) plus a V.A. photo ID are not good enough for getting a Oregon state non-drivers ID?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 01:24 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,812,565 times
A DD214 does not meet most state or fedreal guidelines as proper identification. The main think to consider is this How Easy Is It To Counterfeit? You can get blank dd-214's online and fill in anything you want. They will come with some raise county clerk seal and docket number prepreinted on it. because of the simple ease of having fake discharge papers, they were removed from the acceptable list years ago.

The VA ID cards are acceptable up to the information availble from them. BUT to fight ID theft, the new cards do not have any personal information but your name and if POW, PH or SC on it. So it can't be used for anything but to verify that the name on the card is the name of the person in the picture.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:00 PM

21,664 posts, read 14,253,536 times
Smile correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
SS cards have never been acceptable....the old ones used to state that on the card...as for a birth certificate, that is only usable if you are still 6lbs 3 oz and16" tall [or however tall kids are when they pop out]
This is correct. Your social is not generally a valid I.D. .

Old 05-18-2012, 04:37 PM

18,853 posts, read 31,647,356 times
Yes, this is a "general moving issue"...last time I went to get a new drivers license...I needed my birth certificate, former DL, and my marriage certificate...because all my ID has been in my married name for the last 25 years...but...there was no "verification" that it is my "name"...they were going to put my maiden name on my DL...because I had no documents that verified my last name...Getting a new drivers license in your new state...can be quite a feat. Gather the paperwork now.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:13 PM

21,664 posts, read 14,253,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Yes, this is a "general moving issue"...last time I went to get a new drivers license...I needed my birth certificate, former DL, and my marriage certificate...because all my ID has been in my married name for the last 25 years...but...there was no "verification" that it is my "name"...they were going to put my maiden name on my DL...because I had no documents that verified my last name...Getting a new drivers license in your new state...can be quite a feat. Gather the paperwork now.
I agree. We have checked the Washington state site for details on what we will need. Since we are storing things in our file cabinets for a few weeks, we want to be prepared with the correct documentation without access to our normal files. We have given a lot of thought to what we will need, and how to carry it with us safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or