Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 01:24 PM

39 posts, read 113,950 times

Advertisements

Been in Austin too long. Planning to move to LA. Got some savings, going to move there, stay with a buddy temporarily who's been there for a while already.

No wife, gf, pets. No job waiting for me. Just family still in Austin.

Anyway, anyone else just picked up and move? What were your experiences, thoughts, feelings? Why'd you do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 02:34 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
Go for it. I did it once just like you, and failed, but it was a great learning experience.

I would try to line up some sort of work before you get out there if at all possible, just so you have something going on in that regard.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:38 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
LA=expensive living. Plan accordingly and good luck! Do it while you have no chains that bind you!!

Old 07-31-2008, 07:22 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,067,215 times
Just do it. I've been wanting to move to L.A. since the first time I visited 5 years ago. And then I was stupid enough to pass up the opportunity to go. If you have someone thats willing to help you while you get up on your own feet, then do it. Yes, L.A. is expensive, but you'll figure out the rest when you get there. Dont over think it, just do it.

Good luck.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:53 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,371,410 times
I'm doing it as soon as my house sells! I am moving from Pittsburgh to Austin! I can't wait. I'm a nurse, so getting a job will be fairly painless.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:01 PM

546 posts, read 1,818,610 times
Now is a great time to move to the LA area, especially if you are considering buying property. Housing prices there are the cheapest I've seen in years, especially in the suburbs of LA. My husband and I are considering an investment property there because you can actually get something halfway decent right now for under $500K.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:29 AM

39 posts, read 113,950 times
I don't plan on buying a home in LA. Too expensive for me.

I'm an electrical engineer by education, anyone know how the job market for engrs in LA? only 3 years experience.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:11 PM

244 posts, read 814,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3nchi View Post
Been in Austin too long. Planning to move to LA. Got some savings, going to move there, stay with a buddy temporarily who's been there for a while already.
I like that sound of confidence in your words. I've up and moved before, to Atlanta. I just wanted to try out a new city. I am planning to up and move again in a few months. I too have no kids, am single, etc.

Now is the best time to move since you have nothing tying you down. Good luck out in LA!!!

Old 08-05-2008, 12:55 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,591,404 times
A good friend of mine decided just over a year ago that he was going to move to California and 5 months later he was there. He's doing far better than anyone could have anticipated. California is costly and many people may try to encourage you to not be so foolish - but it sounds like this is a great time for you to give it a try. Be smart, don't live beyond your means and have a plan to fall back on in case it doesn't work out. As long as your determined to make it work, things will fall into place.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues