U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:31 PM

432 posts, read 1,311,482 times

Advertisements

Where are the best places to buy things like bubble wrap, boxes, etc. for moving? I don't want to spend a fortune.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 08:22 PM

12,543 posts, read 18,428,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Where are the best places to buy things like bubble wrap, boxes, etc. for moving? I don't want to spend a fortune.

Thanks in advance!
I don't know about your state but around here the best place to buy it is at an Office Max, Sam's (Costco if we had one), etc. But I would recommend that you check your local Craigslist. Good luck with your packing and moving!! Please keep in touch on here and let us know how it's going.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:27 PM

3,728 posts, read 10,859,591 times
check on line for the bubble wrap, or place an ad in the paper to say you might need boxes
people move each day, then boxes go out for trash. I get so many packages with all that
stuff, you may even say you are looking for this. Many stores toss boxes to save you money.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:05 PM

432 posts, read 1,311,482 times
Thank you! We're going to ask around and see if anyone has an extras, too. If all goes well we'll be moving in two weeks. Ack! I haven't started. I hope to get some boxes and packing materials this weekend and start with the basement and what we're not using.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:25 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,169,496 times
I joined FREECYCLE in my area a few weeks ago & at least 2 times a day people are adv giving away moving boxes etc. Give them a try.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:14 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,141,045 times
Try going to a superwalmart and asking them when they do stock (we have done this both times we moved) you can get some really great boxes. Whatever you do do not buy dollar store packing tape it is terrible, do you have a paper shreader shread old magazines newspapers and phone books it makes great filler. Good luck with your move.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:46 AM

5,269 posts, read 11,713,232 times
We just moved - we were lucky to get about 75 free custom car wheel boxes from a local store...the boxes had built in handles and padding on the bottom and were the perfect size for me to pack and lift...we also spent about $575 on additional boxes, bubble wrap (lots of breakables), and newsprint (I used a ton of newsprint - much more than bubble wrap).

I found that a place called Box Brothers had everything I needed to pack - every size box and every possible packing material I needed. I had been buying cheaper bubble wrap from a local mailing store - but Box Brothers actually had much larger, thicker bubble wrap that went a lot further than the cheaper stuff - so in the long run I ended up getting all our supplies from them - just nice people and one-stop shopping.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:14 AM

2,297 posts, read 4,052,319 times
We are moving too right now. I've been getting all my boxes from behind the Dollar Tree, they have a "cardboard only" dumpster and I also pick up a bunch each week from Tractor Supply, when they get their shipments in.
Our WalMart isn't as easy to get boxes from because you have to pick them up between 1:00 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. or they crush them, they won't save them, weird.
I bought a few Sunday papers for wrapping and a friend gave me a bunch of wrapping supplies but for more I just bought a big thing of bubble wrap at WM for like $5,that should probably do it for me now.
I've got to have my whole house packed by Monday for the movers, yikes!

Old 07-31-2008, 07:16 AM

2,297 posts, read 4,052,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
Try going to a superwalmart and asking them when they do stock (we have done this both times we moved) you can get some really great boxes. Whatever you do do not buy dollar store packing tape it is terrible, do you have a paper shreader shread old magazines newspapers and phone books it makes great filler. Good luck with your move.
I agree! I've used dollar store tape before and it's terrible! Lifts right up. Scotch tape is stronger lol

Old 07-31-2008, 07:31 AM

2,298 posts, read 2,711,459 times
This idea won't do for all of your stuff, but we used some sturdy laundry baskets, (built in handles), and used off season, clean, bulky clothing and blankets to wrap pictures and breakables. I also used newspapers for dishes. Happy moving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues