U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 01:59 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,157,551 times

Advertisements

Years ago, I was able to get out of a lease because I was moving >50 miles away with my job. There was a clause in the lease that stated so. It was not a special lease, just an ordinary standard lease. I would read the lease very carefully!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 08:40 AM

847 posts, read 1,235,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I've visited all the places on your list but have not lived in any of them. Denver would be my choice but mainly because of the mountains. I love the mountains! The downtown area of Denver is really nice. Not as big and bustling as one might imagine, which is a good thing to me and the public transportation system is top notch. I'm not a fan of Atlanta because it's just too darn big and crowded and bustling. When I drive through there I have panic attacks!!
I was raised in Bama too(RollTide!!)......where are you from?
Good luck and do let us know what you decide. You're young--go for it!
Yeah, I am with you on what you are saying. I was really hooked on Denver for a while, now it has fallen second to Dallas. I like Atlanta and am most familiar with it that the other places but its not calling to me like the other places are, lol.

btw, I was raised in Mobile. I went to Auburn for a couple years before moving here but have people in my family that have attended each school lol, so I am on the fence!! What part of Bama are you from?

Old 08-02-2008, 08:44 AM

847 posts, read 1,235,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
Years ago, I was able to get out of a lease because I was moving >50 miles away with my job. There was a clause in the lease that stated so. It was not a special lease, just an ordinary standard lease. I would read the lease very carefully!
Well, I told them when I sign the lease that I could possibly be moving out of state in the near future. They were ok with it and told me that if I got hired by somebody before I moved, that a relocation package should help pay off my lease. I think, by Indiana state law, they have to let you out of the lease without penalty if you are offered a job out of state.

Texan, I see you are located in Pittsburgh and wanting to move to Austin. I am curious, what dont you like about Pittsburgh?

Old 08-02-2008, 09:22 AM

2,464 posts, read 5,810,821 times
To the OP:

I haven't read the other post but I'm going to answer your initial question. Personally, I think you should ignore disapproving sentiments from your family and friends. Your life is YOUR journey to take, not theirs. They are not responsible for your happiness, you are. They should be supportive and keep their mouths shut... but, their family... so you can listen to their concerns but ultimately you should do what you feel is right for your life. Good luck.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:43 PM

6,262 posts, read 17,331,090 times
wow-I sent you a direct message!

Quote:
Originally Posted by introspective1 View Post

btw, I was raised in Mobile. I went to Auburn for a couple years before moving here but have people in my family that have attended each school lol, so I am on the fence!! What part of Bama are you from?

Old 08-02-2008, 03:29 PM

244 posts, read 745,455 times
To the OP:

I too am having fears about relocating. Years ago, I up and quit my job to move to the Atlanta area. How I had the courage to do it, I will never know. But it helped that I had family there. This time around, I have a few places in mind that I want to relocate to, but like you, I avoid telling others about it because I am afraid of what they will think and some people have said negative comments. I plan to move to a city where I won't no anyone either. I am tempted to stay put, but something tells me to go for it. It is scary, but I might as well while I am still single and have the desire. I don't want to look back and have regrets. Been there and done that. Good luck to you!

Old 08-02-2008, 04:56 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,557,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
Good luck.........go-spread your wings-soar--while you can.
Dreamweaver worded it so well, some are born with roots, some are born with wings, If you are one born with wings, never be afraid to fly. You only get to have one life, so what's the harm in trying on new places and things! If the suit isn't comfortable you can always try on another. I have heard the same thing most of my life, "why would you want to live there?" etc. I don't expect family and friends to always understand me, just to accept me, gypsy spirt and all.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:48 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,937,967 times
Just ignore them and move on! Only you know what is best for you and your family My hardest move was from San Diego (home) to Missouri back in 2001 and telling all my family and friends what we were doing. It was hard to say goodbye but I did it because that is what I wanted for my family.
Since then we have moved to Georgia and now moving to Va next week. Every move has been great, we've seen new things and met new people. I have no regrets. If you feel in your heart it's right, don't let what people say get to you

Old 08-02-2008, 08:53 PM

150 posts, read 610,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
some are born with roots, some are born with wings, If you are one born with wings, never be afraid to fly. You only get to have one life, so what's the harm in trying on new places and things! If the suit isn't comfortable you can always try on another.
I LOVE this! This is so totally a description of me - now I have the words I need to accurately describe myself to those in my life who don't "get" me.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:25 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,485,360 times
How do you deal with disapproval of family and friends?

I smile to them and calmly say "Thank you", and tell them I must leave now and "Bye!" -- and I ignore everything that doesn't feel good to me and forget it all.
People who are eager to tell me how wrong I am to want what I want, are not people who nourish my life with love and help and fun and ideas.
I'd rather sit silently gazing out the window at the clouds that are smiling at me, than surround myself with energies who wish to pick me to death little piece by little piece.

How people speak and act always and forever expresses who they are, not who we are. Who they are is not who you are.

Each of us chooses our emotions and thoughts, every one, all the time. If we step outside of ourselves, step back, and observe, we can see that we do in fact choose how we feel.

The nature of our experiences -- that is, how we feel about the events and non-events in our lives -- comes from within us, not from outside us. As long as we surrender our feelings and lives to the control of others, our feelings and lives will continue to be surrendering to the control of others. Deliberate choosing of happy, enjoyable, nourishing feelings, thoughts, words and actions, is how we make things get better and feel better.

So how we choose to feel and think about anything, especially others' behavior, is entirely up to us, our own choice at every moment.
I wish you happy, self-nourishing choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or