U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:23 PM

24 posts, read 76,432 times

Advertisements

I am another person who is slightly dissatisfied with Florida. We have been here for 2 years. It is mostly because there are just too dang many people here. I feel crowded and annoyed at all the people. I worry about what it would be like if the economy gets worse, there are too many people and too few resources. I need some space!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 01:36 AM

1,877 posts, read 3,711,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustbunnies View Post
I am another person who is slightly dissatisfied with Florida. We have been here for 2 years. It is mostly because there are just too dang many people here. I feel crowded and annoyed at all the people. I worry about what it would be like if the economy gets worse, there are too many people and too few resources. I need some space!
I have to admit, Florida's never even appealed to me. I never even dreamed of going to Disney World. lol (Valleyfair in Minnesota was just fine for me... ) How people have described it is more or less how I have envisioned it. My childhood best friend now lives in the Orlando area with her husband and 3 kids. Just caught up with her again on Facebook. Her husband is Eastern Indian. I haven't asked, but from what I can see, she seems to fit in really well down there, and seems to like it.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:01 PM

5,002 posts, read 4,225,816 times
We moved from ireland when we were young and in love (23, 25). Now 24 years later and a house and two children, we want to leave Long Island. We do not regret for an instant coming here at all. But ; there is always a but

The kids have no friends in our development, we live here 6 years. We only know our neighbours by name and have never been inside their houses. My dh has one sister living here, I have nobody at all.It is getting so expensive to live here ; property taxes alone are almost $11,000. Kids go to Parochial school now and I am not thrilled about the public high school.

Thinking of Pittsburgh or North Carolina. Would love to keep 4 seasons. Would love a good school district. Guess the gyspy inside wants to come back out and travel more.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:08 AM

2 posts, read 3,327 times
Default Moved from Atlanta only to return a year later?

Moved from Atlanta, only to return a year later
My wife and I are originally from MI, however 2 years ago we, along with our to young children, moved to Atlanta, GA when I took a new job. From day one we fell in love with the area, the people, the slower pace of life, pretty much all aspects of daily life were so much better than in MI.

A year later, I mutually agree to leave the company that brought us to Atlanta and after being unemployed for a month, took a position with a company based in the DC area. It is a great company that is well established and it is likely that if things continue to go the way they have been, I could have a long career with them.

That being said, I recently had a company reach out to me regarding a position they have that would put me more in line with where I believe my career is heading. I would be more at a supervisory level, with an opportunity to be at the center of developing more business for the company.

The challenge is that the company is based in the south, and while it would not require us to move to the city in which the company is based, the preference is that I would be centrally located to their marketplace, which means Atlanta.

I am struggling with the whole thing because it would necessitate moving for the 3rd time in two years. We absolutely love Atlanta. In the year plus that we lived there, we made a number of good friends, found an amazing church that helped us grow spiritually, coupled with all of the qualities listed before, it has quickly become our "home". Even moreso than MI where we both grew up.

All that being said, we enjoy were we live, and while we have not planted ourselves in the year that we have lived in the DC area as we did in Atlanta, we live in a good place, with good schools, a nice neighborhood, and a sold home.

I would love any feedback from people who may have had similar experiences as to what they went through and ultimately what brought them to whatever decision they made.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:33 PM

42 posts, read 71,674 times
Add another person who HATED living in Florida. It's a useless state, filled with gross, redneck trash.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:38 PM

354 posts, read 608,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond Chick View Post
Add another person who HATED living in Florida. It's a useless state, filled with gross, redneck trash.
Please do tell us what you REALLY thought of Florida....

Well, I hate to generalize...I don't know much about Florida and havn't spent an appreciable amount of time there..I am originally from Boston, MA...but one thing is for sure..I don't know that it's fair to say that EVERYONE there is
"gross, redneck trash". Usually when I read such generalizations, It clues me in to the fact that somebody is biased or misinformed. I would much rather see a balanced point of view, stating the good points and bad points. Of course, that could be opinion also, but at least it's more fair.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
The ocean is nice but it doesn't "call" to me the way it does many people. I would rather sit on top of a mountain and stare off at the horizon a hundred miles away.
Driving through the backroads of the upper midwestern woods during the fall, with a cup of pumpkin spice latte, sipping away as I drive along those winding little paved roads, looking at all the amazing colors and the sun shining on the lake.... that's Heaven to me.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:48 AM

471 posts, read 1,637,615 times
Moved from the DC area to North Jersey several years ago. Moved back within a year; met some of the best people there, but for the most part is seems like they have the most hostile people in the US... Now I'm off to laid back San Diego for work, I do hope it works out for the long term because I'm ready to ditch MD, DC and VA for good!

Old 09-08-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripGurl View Post
Moved from the DC area to North Jersey several years ago. Moved back within a year; met some of the best people there, but for the most part is seems like they have the most hostile people in the US... Now I'm off to laid back San Diego for work, I do hope it works out for the long term because I'm ready to ditch MD, DC and VA for good!
I notice a hostility in people in my state too. I live out west, and am moving back to my homestate soon. I wouldn't say they're the most hostile in the US, but there's a hostility in people here that I don't notice in people back home.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:52 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,834,792 times
The feeling of being HOME in a place seems to be internalized for many people with the ideal they imprinted on as far as scenery and weather go. You can always make new friends (or a reasonable facsimile), find a different job (well, eventually, in this economy), join a different church, etc.

BUT you can't change the scenery or the weather.

That's why I think reflection on what constitutes YOUR ideal environment is a very important factor in any move, regardless of the impetus for moving.

In my case, Western Oregon raised-and-bred, I just about had a nervous breakdown when I took my first job in Kansas City, State of Misery. I arrived at the airport at 11 p.m. on July 3rd, the night before I was to report for training and, as soon as I was hit in the face with the 98% humidity/actual temperature as I stepped off the plane, I knew I faced an ordeal. (Eugene doesn't DO humidity the way so much of the nation does.) A week later, someone hustled me down to the basement and said a tornado was coming, one of several alerts that season. I walked the streets after the terrifying storm was over, amazed at the debris and building destruction. (Eugene had only ONE near-tornado in my experience growing up.)

By the time the dark, wintry days of December rolled around, with wind chills 25 degrees below zero and drifts of snow piled up on all the streets -- (Eugene's temps rarely get into the teens and big snow is a rarity) -- I was spending all my down time crying and drinking too much, along with counting the days until my transfer to San Francisco went through. (That was the closest my job could get me to Oregon.) In my case (and this was back in the early Seventies), my inability to adjust to the weather and flat topography with no mountains canceled out any possibility of adjustment or contentment with my life there.

And, of course, I find it completely ironic that the majority of threads here on CD's Oregon and Washington forums cite the gray, rainy, dreary WEATHER as the one deciding factor in relocating to sunnier climes. Me, the rain is in my blood -- and I've stayed in the Northwest area ever since my disastrous experience in the Midwest, reveling in the greenery and the mild temperatures.

Different strokes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues