Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 02:03 PM

895 posts, read 4,247,796 times

Advertisements

Since my previous post re: moving, my husband has accepted a job. It's a great opportunity. Unfortunately, it came on the day that we moved to a new house. Relocation is expected, even though the commute time would be a little over an hour. This would be our fourth move in two years. I feel bad because I'm having trouble being excited over this opportunity to better our family's financial future--I'm sure I will get there. I guess a few of my concerns are:
1. We just moved although it's easy to pick up when you're not unpacked.
2. School begins 2 weeks earlier there (approx. in two weeks). That's a very small window to find a place to live, move, unpack and prepare my children to leave their friends and school and begin anew.
*My husband doesn't see any issue with having our girls (K & 1) begin school two weeks late. Does anyone have any comments?? If it has to happen, it does but I'd just as soon they begin at the school with everyone else before friendships begin and they can get comfortable with the routine.
3. My daughter is a competitive gymnast. The closest gym is 1 hour from where we live (in some regards, it's easier to just commute to our old place). But that's two hours in the car plus three hours of practice three times a week.

It appears to me that there's a lot of juggling going on and I'm trying to get my head around it. Any advice or comments (positive or helpful only) would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 11:09 AM

746 posts, read 2,175,459 times
At that age, I would think that the kids will have no time adjusting and making friends, especially so early in the school year. As far as the commute to the gym, do you have a basement? I've heard of someone setting up a private workout area in a basement for practicing gymnastics. I know this wouldn't replace the commute to the gym, but maybe it could be reduced to maybe once or twice a week? I don't know how much it may cost for basic equipment, but some creating improvising could help.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:43 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,155 times
A late start for your kids should be relatively uneventful, I'm thinking. Kids that age are used to daycare and other settings where kids come and go moreso than at school, so it probably won't even raise an eyebrow. Kids adjust pretty well...two weeks into the school year really isn't bad at all. Take a look at the pros & cons for each and decide which you feel most comfortable with.

I know I've read your previous posts but I can't recall the details. Are you renting? Will you face any penalties for having just moved into one place and needing to move out so quickly?

Good luck :-)

Old 08-08-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post
A late start for your kids should be relatively uneventful, I'm thinking. Kids that age are used to daycare and other settings where kids come and go moreso than at school, so it probably won't even raise an eyebrow. Kids adjust pretty well...two weeks into the school year really isn't bad at all. Take a look at the pros & cons for each and decide which you feel most comfortable with.

I know I've read your previous posts but I can't recall the details. Are you renting? Will you face any penalties for having just moved into one place and needing to move out so quickly?

Good luck :-)
Yes, we are leasing. The LL is very agreeable. We're going to pay the rent until he finds another tenant and we agreed to show the house for him. DH's company is going to pay any lease breakage penalties we agree upon with him...

Old 08-08-2008, 10:26 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
Yes, we are leasing. The LL is very agreeable. We're going to pay the rent until he finds another tenant and we agreed to show the house for him. DH's company is going to pay any lease breakage penalties we agree upon with him...
Sounds like you were very fortunate

Good luck!

Old 08-08-2008, 11:46 PM

Thanks. We were lucky this time. Our first rental experience was a disaster and we've had to hire an attorney...yuck! Too much going on at once!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues