U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 09:11 PM

3,651 posts, read 6,465,581 times

Advertisements

Oh, ok, that makes sense.

Honestly, that sounds like the cheapest and easiest way to do it. You can do the truck no problem I am sure, but if you are having second thoughts, then I say just do the ABF for the piece of mind.

I just looked at mapquest. You would be driving through big cities like Columbus, Cincy, Lousiville, Memphis, and Dallas. All of which would be way easier in your vehicle as opposed to a truck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 09:33 PM

8,191 posts, read 28,067,763 times
Did you factor fuel for the truck into your quote comparison?

I am using Smart Move for my upcoming move. Their cubes are 7 x 7 x 6 and I am moving from west central FL to northern IN for $1,600. What I like about Smart Move is that they are partnered with UPS Freight, they go everywhere and if you have to store they only want $1 per day, where PODS is $125 per month.

I have lots of experience driving big trucks/towing trailers. I prefer this method.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:10 AM

23 posts, read 100,988 times
Default I moved to Austin using ABF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
I am moving from Pittsburgh, PA to Austin, TX. I have NO experience driving big trucks. I researched PODS/ABF cubes and moving trucks. I found the cheapest way to do it is to rent a 16 ft truck and haul my belongings plus my truck (Ford Explorer Sport Trac) on a trailer behind. My question is...Can I do this? I will have one other person with me who also has NO experience driving big trucks or hauling stuff!! I'm getting worried.
I moved to Austin from Atlanta in April and sent most of my belongings (aside from what fit in my 2 door Civic) in a relocube. I did door to terminal, thinking it would be easier to get my family to unload it once I got to Austin. Because of scheduling issues, I thought I'd need an alternative so I checked craigslist and they had several companies that specialized in moving stuff out of pods/relocubes/etc. that were very reasonable. I used a similar service in Atlanta to pack my relocube and it worked great. I NEVER could've gotten the amount of stuff in there that they did and nothing was broken, except for an old cheap chest that I never should've moved in the first place.

Good luck!

Old 08-12-2008, 07:32 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,165,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnac08 View Post
I moved to Austin from Atlanta in April and sent most of my belongings (aside from what fit in my 2 door Civic) in a relocube. I did door to terminal, thinking it would be easier to get my family to unload it once I got to Austin. Because of scheduling issues, I thought I'd need an alternative so I checked craigslist and they had several companies that specialized in moving stuff out of pods/relocubes/etc. that were very reasonable. I used a similar service in Atlanta to pack my relocube and it worked great. I NEVER could've gotten the amount of stuff in there that they did and nothing was broken, except for an old cheap chest that I never should've moved in the first place.

Good luck!
Nicnac08, which one did you use? PODS? ABF u-pack? Packrat? Well, things have changed. I traded in my ford explorer sport trac for a buick rendezvous. It even has a hitch! So potentially I could pull a U-haul trailer now. But I am sort of iffy about doing that with all the horror stories I read about wrecks and pulling a trailer behind me.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:07 AM

401 posts, read 1,167,535 times
Texanwannabe, are you mostly concerned about the physical driving of a larger rental truck? Having no experience should not be a problem. If you take your time and plan your route, you should not have any problems at all. Here are a few helpful notes, (I hope):

1) Most of the larger rental trucks use diesel, so be sure to incorporate that into your budget, unless you rent a gas model. Also, when fueling, look for the green handle pumps indicating diesel - and try not to get into a tight spot at the car pumps. Flying J truckstops have RV fuel pumps that you can drive straight through, and easy access diesel pumps are at all truckstops.
2) One thing to keep in mind and is very important, you CAN'T GO THROUGH drive-throughs, as with ATMs or fast food! You must park and use the facility. Just be aware of your truck height, which is not a problem unless you try to use a drive-through or enter a parking garage.
3)ALWAYS allow plenty of room in front of you, the larger and heavier a vehicle is, the more distance it takes to stop the truck. Don't speed!
4) Towing your vehicle will make you a little longer, but should not present a problem - just don't make any sharp right-hand turns, because the towed vehicle will be a little closer on the inside of the turn (you might roll over the curb, etc.)
5) As far as driving in the mountains (though they aren't the Rockies) just be careful, DO NOT go down at high speed, just ease on down and touch your break to slow down a little, but don't stay on the brakes. If you don't go down too fast, it won't be a problem.
6) When stopping at a rest area, you'll have an easier time pulling to where the big trucks park.

I hope these are of some help to you. Don't be afraid of the truck, just drive with caution and you will be just fine. Good luck to you and enjoy Texas!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:43 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,165,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
Texanwannabe, are you mostly concerned about the physical driving of a larger rental truck? Having no experience should not be a problem. If you take your time and plan your route, you should not have any problems at all. Here are a few helpful notes, (I hope):

1) Most of the larger rental trucks use diesel, so be sure to incorporate that into your budget, unless you rent a gas model. Also, when fueling, look for the green handle pumps indicating diesel - and try not to get into a tight spot at the car pumps. Flying J truckstops have RV fuel pumps that you can drive straight through, and easy access diesel pumps are at all truckstops.
2) One thing to keep in mind and is very important, you CAN'T GO THROUGH drive-throughs, as with ATMs or fast food! You must park and use the facility. Just be aware of your truck height, which is not a problem unless you try to use a drive-through or enter a parking garage.
3)ALWAYS allow plenty of room in front of you, the larger and heavier a vehicle is, the more distance it takes to stop the truck. Don't speed!
4) Towing your vehicle will make you a little longer, but should not present a problem - just don't make any sharp right-hand turns, because the towed vehicle will be a little closer on the inside of the turn (you might roll over the curb, etc.)
5) As far as driving in the mountains (though they aren't the Rockies) just be careful, DO NOT go down at high speed, just ease on down and touch your break to slow down a little, but don't stay on the brakes. If you don't go down too fast, it won't be a problem.
6) When stopping at a rest area, you'll have an easier time pulling to where the big trucks park.

I hope these are of some help to you. Don't be afraid of the truck, just drive with caution and you will be just fine. Good luck to you and enjoy Texas!
Thanks for all the great info Ynot! Now I'm back at square one because I traded my truck in on an SUV which has a hitch on it, so potentially I could pull a small u-haul trailer behind me, which is all I need! I never needed a big truck d/t sellling everything and starting over! But U-haul would not rent a trailer to me because I drove a Ford Explorer. They won't rent to that type of vehicle d/t major law suit which they lost back in 2004. They will however rent to me now.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:32 AM

700 posts, read 2,330,222 times
Do the trailer thing...Its simple and you already have the Buick.
Just go easy, slow....plan ahead....realized the length of your vehicle....try not to back up. Plan an extra day! Much easier and cheaper then the other options.
The Buick is your car and you will be comfy driving it.

I recommend driving during the day, no more then 10 hours, take a break when you need it and drink water...and get a good night sleep...
But thats my mojo for moving.

I have moved cross the US several times trying to find myself....so I feel your anxiety

Old 08-14-2008, 02:46 PM

3,061 posts, read 7,445,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
I don't see why not. I drove a 17' U-Haul through the Rocky Mountains in mid March from Bend Oregon to Rochester Minnesota. It was the first time I had ever driven anything bigger than a Ford Station Wagon. I found it a lot easier to just remember to pull into places so that I could pull out, no backing up. When I finally can get my house sold then I will be driving a 24' truck and my husband will be towing my car behind his truck. He's never had experience towing anything, but I'm sure he'll be fine.

Be sure to practice towing before you move. Its not as simple as people tend to think it is.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:49 PM

3,061 posts, read 7,445,884 times
We moved from Maine to NM and used ABF. We were very satisfied and would use them again. Nothing got broke, as we packed carefully and followed their packing advice. Our belongings arrived 3 days before they said they would, which was nice. The only downside was the short driveway at our rental house, but we improvised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or