U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:48 PM

1,773 posts, read 4,893,394 times
Sonnenwende, I used Penske trucks twice on long distance one way moves. They have truck rental outlets near most decent sized cities. Penske trucks are usually no more than a couple of years old. The trucks are clean and everything works. I would pay extra to rent one of their trucks compared to some of the other ones. Your life and a good part of material well being depend on it, so it's worth it to pay a little extra to get a safe, good quality truck. Also get a good heavy duty key lock for the cargo door, not one of the cheap locks. Nothing worse than getting ripped off when stopped overnight at a motel.

NAH, here's how to avoid moving and having to pack up all your stuffed animals. Gather them all up into a bunch of large plastic bags. Then go to a nearby Children's Hospital and pass them out to the little kids that are there all alone trying to get better so they can go back home. I'll bet the smiles you get from those kids hugging their new stuffed animals would be unforgettable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 10:17 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,691,325 times
Central Wyoming to Central Tennessee. Go Budget truck. Rental cost 1645.00, gas cost for truck and Explorer Sport 1279.00 including top off tank at Nashville for truck. Motel rooms because truck topped hills as slow as 20 miles an hour. Because of govenor on engine. I figure three of the 5 days is on us. But two days extra was 172.00 extra meals for two days. 60.00

Old 02-12-2007, 10:36 AM

24 posts, read 159,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
Has anyone used Penske? They do one-way and at this time seem to have unlimited mileage. The price I was quoted was alright, but I don't really know that much about them.
I've moved three times and have used Budget, U-Haul and Penske. I prefer Penske with Budget coming in a distant second. Avoid U-Haul at all costs. I've scheduled a move for May and U-Haul and Budget were over twice as expensive as Penske.

Here are a couple of websites that you might find helpful:

http://www0.epinions.com/Penske_Truc...splay_~reviews

www.movingscam.com

Last edited by FutureDomer; 02-12-2007 at 10:49 AM..

Old 02-12-2007, 12:55 PM

893 posts, read 1,613,710 times
Does anyone know if pensake or ?? lets you pull your own trailer behind their trucks? I plan on using my sisters toy hauler which is an open trailer. Don't know the exact size but it is quite large as it fits a buggy, a few bikes and a few quads on it. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 18,268 times
Question Moving not far

I am not moving far. Only 12 miles or so. I am moving a 2-3 bedroom small house. What do you think...rent a truck or movers? Any ideas?

Old 01-03-2012, 07:07 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,312,288 times
If only 12 miles, and you have people to help load/unload, no question; rent a truck (or van even) and make multiple (2 or 3) trips. BTDT

Old 01-13-2012, 07:04 AM

13 posts, read 48,736 times
I used Penske when I move from MA to TX in December 2011 and it was $2200 for 16 ft truck (one way). You have one week to return it at your new state. You pick the location to return it.

I would not rent a truck from a comany where I have to drive back to return it. I was happy with Penske. Good with your move!

Old 01-16-2012, 12:15 AM

526 posts, read 212,903 times
I've rented a moving truck many times and have never used U-haul. They're worthless unless it's a local move. But for long distance one way travels, IMO Budget is the best price with Penske running second.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:25 AM

2,851 posts, read 1,717,454 times
I've decided to sell my furniture. I've had it for almost ten years and I think it is time for a fresh start.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:48 AM

5,154 posts, read 7,065,961 times
I agree it depends on the time of year. Sometimes it depends on where you are moving from. Sometimes it depends on the day you pick it up. I started working on quotes 3 months in advance and was shocked how the price kept changing every time I called, sometimes drastically. I used Uhaul and moved almost 400 miles. It cost me around 400 dollars for the largest truck they had. I can't remember if it was 24 ft or 26 ft. It cost me more in gas. We moved when gas was almost 4.50 a gallon. Also Uhaul doesn't guarantee the truck will be available which I did not know until I went to pick it up. I went to the location and they told me they didnt have any but another location did. A good 25 minute ride from our home. I was not pleased. It put us behind schedule. A friend of mine moved from MI to Las Vegas. There was a severe shortage in Vegas so she got the truck for only 500 but when she moved from Vegas to TN several years later, it cost her 2 grand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues