U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 06:51 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,966,626 times

Advertisements

When I relocate, I have to decide if its worth moving my stuff in my room or leaving it behind and selling it at a loss and buying it again to start over in the new location. I checked Ryder and they want $1500 from south FL to northwest PA and the truck must be returned back to south FL! Of course ill take my dad with me so he can help and he can drive the truck back. The costs in gas would be another ~$1000! If theres taxes, it could be a hundred or so! Id be looking at over $2500 or leave my stuff behind!

I have a huge stuff animal collection, I suppose itll be cheaper to just mail what I dont sell. Those plush toys are light. I can also have some of my cloth mailed. Besides its easy to buy new cloth. When I fly by plane, ill take my computer with me and leave the monitor and keyboard behind, ill buy another and use my spare computer when I visit my parents house. The furniture is gonna have to stay as well, my parents can sell their house fully furnished. One thing ill be sad about is my goldfish will be left behind, my parents will have to look after them and if they relocate far, may have to give them away, they will be missed

Whats the cheapest I can look to as moving costs for just over 1000 miles? Did any of you just decide its cheaper to sell the house furnished and leave everything behind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 07:21 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,334,119 times
Check with more companies! We moved from MI to NC and it was less than you are quoting, also we were one way only - don't take a company that wants the truck back to the original location. Check out Pinsky (sp??), that is who we went with and we got some sort of coupon because I reserved it online.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:31 PM

MI to NC is half as far as I might relocate. What did it cost you? $1500? Itll cost me like $2500 then! Im thinking it could be cheaper to just box up my stuff and ship it fex-ex or something

Old 01-27-2007, 07:33 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,858,908 times
NaH,

I rented a truck in NYC, drove to PGH (near your place) and I think with petrol it was about 750USD for a 15ft truck. It doesn't sound like you need a truck that big.

Price a bunch of choices - upack.com; pod.com and others.

Are you realllllllllllllly ready to move: )

Old 01-27-2007, 07:37 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,589,116 times
Consider also that if you rent a truck from a company that allows 1-way rental, and drive it to your new home, you will not have to purchase an airline ticket. Maybe U-Haul or Budget? If you don't have a lot of large items, you may even be able to rent a van instead of a truck, which would be a little cheaper as far as gas goes.

I have no other advice than that...I will be facing the same issue myself in the near future. I am dreading getting those quotes!

Old 01-27-2007, 07:40 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,858,908 times
My quote was one-way with a premium for not returning the truck. I believe I rented with Budget; U-haul was more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Consider also that if you rent a truck from a company that allows 1-way rental, and drive it to your new home, you will not have to purchase an airline ticket. Maybe U-Haul or Budget? If you don't have a lot of large items, you may even be able to rent a van instead of a truck, which would be a little cheaper as far as gas goes.

I have no other advice than that...I will be facing the same issue myself in the near future. I am dreading getting those quotes!

Old 01-27-2007, 10:21 PM

I will be taking my dad with me, I need him to help with my stuff. I am not moving yet but need to plan ahead. I know the costs of gas alone would be several hundred! My dad suggested I buy a van in FL and rent a trailor then I return the trailor to the new location and keep the van for my shopping needs. Another option is I can mail my stuff to my new address, this will save us the cost of gas and renting and its so boring to drive all the way! I dont know yet if ill take the stuff with me or leave most of it behind

Old 01-28-2007, 01:59 AM

66 posts, read 294,122 times
I checked prices and I do know it was cheaper if you didn't return it to the same location. I forget if it was because of the rate or because then you have to consider the mileage, gas for the return trip. When you add in the higher (than our car)gas and mileage, it wasn't worth it for us - about $1,500. We don't have furniture worth keeping. It sounds like you have a lot of stuff like us (mainly valuable to us with the exception of electronics, smaller appliances) One thing that might work is if you could rent a cargo van..more space than a car but cheaper for gas, cheaper to rent, good for lots of boxes, and ship the lighter things. The one here was cheaper than a truck, from a car sales lot - U-haul has them but only for businesses. If you do ship, books/videos, etc get a cheaper rate at the post office.

Pod and upack were closer to $2,000 - way beyond our budget but if you do have furniture, valuable things I've read people really liked them.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:41 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,146,863 times
I think Penske will let you take a truck one way. I moved from Oregon to Texas for about $1500, but was awhile back. But maybe prices and rules have changed. I didn't think U-Haul would let you go one way.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:59 AM

504 posts, read 1,639,122 times
A lot depends on where you are going, what time of year, moving to fl in the winter for example they know the truck won' t sit for long, but going to North Dakota in the winter they either have to drive it back or let it sit.
Consider what you really need, stuffed animals are not, may-be one or two. Your young starting over with just a few things is often a good idea and a lot of things just are not worth the moving expense or the storage, take your clothes, computer, money, and the rest can be bought at thrift stores and yard sales until you get on your feet.
Think of what 1500.00 can buy if you don't have to buy it new. I used to travel with my clothes, a cast iron skillet, my good knives, and of course always a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or