U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:40 PM

14,351 posts, read 15,083,315 times
Well I will be finding a city again-lol someday- over the rainbow.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:20 PM

321 posts, read 396,265 times
Two times, actually.
First was when I had to leave Derry, Northern Ireland. She is the place of my birth and is in my blood.

Second is Boston, MA. A most European of cities - old, yet vital and intense. Rugged coast, history, pubs, bookstores.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:05 PM

14,351 posts, read 15,083,315 times
Yes, Boston is a beautiful city. I loved it there, its hard to find a brownstone that will accept 3 dogs!lol.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:25 AM

3,059 posts, read 6,870,972 times
YES! I love, love, love the West Coast. I felt I could be myself there. It is HOME.

DH moved us to the East Coast and I feel completely stifled. I feel like I am suffocating. I have made some friends and am involved, but I can't really put into words how different it feels.

Dawn

Old 08-29-2008, 09:48 AM

690 posts, read 989,539 times
yep.. Athens, GA. but i'm also glad i closed that chapter in my life. it wouldn't be the same now.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:54 PM

425 posts, read 713,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
YES! I love, love, love the West Coast. I felt I could be myself there. It is HOME.

DH moved us to the East Coast and I feel completely stifled. I feel like I am suffocating. I have made some friends and am involved, but I can't really put into words how different it feels.

Dawn
We all feel differently. I've now lived in CA longer than anywhere else (31 years this year) and every time we go back to the east coast I feel like I've come home. It's just something about the greenery and lay of the land. I do understand where you are coming from though. Also didn't your teaching income take a nosedive when you moved to NC?

Old 08-29-2008, 08:04 PM

35,000 posts, read 41,176,228 times
Native North Carolinian . . . moved to Kansas City and had hardly any adjustment at all . . . and quickly fell in love w/ my home and the whole region. Moved back to NC (career move) and nearly six years later and hardly a day goes by that I don't think about my former home, neighbors, friends, clients, city, favorite shops, restaurants, etc.

Everyone assumed I would be so happy to "move back home," and indeed, I have settled in and I love being near the mountains and close enuff to enjoy Charleston, SC, as well (one of my favorite places) and knowing there is family close by. . . but yeah . . . I miss Kansas City quite often and miss a lot of small things that made up the fabric of my days. Sometimes, the small things end up having a big impact!!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 08:37 PM

425 posts, read 713,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Native North Carolinian . . . moved to Kansas City and had hardly any adjustment at all . . . and quickly fell in love w/ my home and the whole region. Moved back to NC (career move) and nearly six years later and hardly a day goes by that I don't think about my former home, neighbors, friends, clients, city, favorite shops, restaurants, etc.

Everyone assumed I would be so happy to "move back home," and indeed, I have settled in and I love being near the mountains and close enuff to enjoy Charleston, SC, as well (one of my favorite places) and knowing there is family close by. . . but yeah . . . I miss Kansas City quite often and miss a lot of small things that made up the fabric of my days. Sometimes, the small things end up having a big impact!!!!
That doesn't seem like a real big move. I'll bet moving from NC to CA would have been more of an adjustment. Weather is better, but a real culture shock.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:56 AM

19,007 posts, read 13,328,038 times
I moved from CA to NC about 1 1/2years ago---I don't really miss CA but I have always missed my hometown in CA. if that makes any sense. I was born and raised in Big Bear Lake CA. That is the only place in CA I really do miss! Haven't lived there for 30 years. Everytiime I go back to visit and drive up the mountain and then into the valley it feels like I'm going back home, to the "womb". It's comfortable, familiar, and beautiful! I have always looked for a place to live that is like Big Bear! I suppose that is because that is where all my childhood memories are! I do, however, love NC!

Old 08-31-2008, 04:45 PM

3,874 posts, read 11,123,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

... lived in a certain location, and now miss it ... and later regretted moving away
But there are good reasons you moved elsewhere, right? Therefore, the old place was no longer the place your life would unfold best. Life was nudging you to unfold elsewhere.

So there's nothing to regret. Nothing to feel sorrow about. You have in your mind for the rest of life the pictures of that place, the smells, the sounds, the quality of light and air... That place will always and forever be a part of you, and all you have to do is send your mind there, and in less than an instant you are there again. You don't even have to close your eyes... Now you've become more than you were when you were there, and that place is part of who you have become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues