Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 05:07 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I moved from CA to NC about 1 1/2years ago---I don't really miss CA but I have always missed my hometown in CA. if that makes any sense. I was born and raised in Big Bear Lake CA. That is the only place in CA I really do miss! Haven't lived there for 30 years. Everytiime I go back to visit and drive up the mountain and then into the valley it feels like I'm going back home, to the "womb". It's comfortable, familiar, and beautiful! I have always looked for a place to live that is like Big Bear! I suppose that is because that is where all my childhood memories are! I do, however, love NC!
I would miss Big Bear too if I had lived there. It's sure a lot different from most of Southern CA. You don't feel like you are in the "rat race" there, but just go down the mountains, and there you are. It's good that you've adjusted to life in NC, but I feel that since you didn't come from a typical Southern CA area it made it easier to adjust to the east. I moved from PA to the San Fernando Valley over 30 years ago, and it was a very difficult adjustment. If I had moved instead to Big Bear, it may have been easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 09:16 PM

663 posts, read 2,262,756 times
wow, so good to see I am not the only one feeling like this! I moved from NY to TX about 6 months ago. I still don't feel like myself here.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:37 AM

464 posts, read 1,360,159 times
Yes; I lost apart of myself moving from Florida to Texas.

This is the 2nd time I've done this since 2006 and everytime I come here I keep loosing myself and my friends and end up unhappy.

There's no ocean (gulf/lakes/ponds/canals doesnt count), no palms, no colorful plants, no pretty birds...the people arent that hot; I could go on and on...

the nightlife isnt that great as things close at 2 am. blue laws are still in effect, its strict as hell here...Im getting angry just talking about this!

Old 09-02-2008, 06:02 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl49 View Post
I would miss Big Bear too if I had lived there. It's sure a lot different from most of Southern CA. You don't feel like you are in the "rat race" there, but just go down the mountains, and there you are. It's good that you've adjusted to life in NC, but I feel that since you didn't come from a typical Southern CA area it made it easier to adjust to the east. I moved from PA to the San Fernando Valley over 30 years ago, and it was a very difficult adjustment. If I had moved instead to Big Bear, it may have been easier.
Ah, but you see I lived in Big Bear 30 years ago. In order to go to college I had to move off the mountain and I ended up eventually in the San Fernando Valley where I lived for the last 20 years. That is the CA I grew tired of! But you are correct in saying that since I spent so many years in a small town environment like Big Bear that the adjustment of moving to a rural area of NC was easier for someone like myself! You are alos correct in saying the minute you leave the mountain, Big Bear, you are directly back in the CA rat-race! Even Big Bear is not what it once was--but I will always love it!
I can easily see how moving from PA to the San Fernando Valley would be difficult. My little sister and brother were raised in Mass and when they moved to CA they hated it and moved back to Mass. They just could not adjust at all! These are my half brother and sister and are much younger then I am. My father moved to Mass after I moved to college and he started his new family there.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:59 AM

525 posts, read 1,297,596 times
I moved from Raleigh, NC to Asheville, NC - and I'm miserable. It's not that I hate Asheville, really. Asheville is obviously beautiful and a very desirable place to be - but it's not home...people here are so different compared to what I'm used to. My parents are now 7 hours away (compared to 2 like they were before), and I just hate it. We have plans to move back, but we can't sell our house due to the crappy market. I'm trying to keep my chin up, but I'm having a hard time......

Old 09-05-2008, 08:11 AM

79 posts, read 331,175 times
I lived in Overland Park/Leawood Kansas all my life, would give anything to move back.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:46 AM

479 posts, read 1,236,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Ah, but you see I lived in Big Bear 30 years ago. In order to go to college I had to move off the mountain and I ended up eventually in the San Fernando Valley where I lived for the last 20 years. That is the CA I grew tired of! But you are correct in saying that since I spent so many years in a small town environment like Big Bear that the adjustment of moving to a rural area of NC was easier for someone like myself! You are alos correct in saying the minute you leave the mountain, Big Bear, you are directly back in the CA rat-race! Even Big Bear is not what it once was--but I will always love it!
I can easily see how moving from PA to the San Fernando Valley would be difficult. My little sister and brother were raised in Mass and when they moved to CA they hated it and moved back to Mass. They just could not adjust at all! These are my half brother and sister and are much younger then I am. My father moved to Mass after I moved to college and he started his new family there.
I've never had any real choice about living in the San Fernando Valley. Before I moved here, I didn't really have any real strong impressions of the place. It just seemed like endless, generic suburbia. Housing is very overpriced for what you get. My husband has lived here since he was 8 and has always felt very comfortable here. He wanted to come back to CA to practice law as he didn't want to take the bar exam in any other state. Our house is now paid off and his parents are getting older and need our help more now. I just know after living here, that I prefer less crowded areas, and someplace with more defined seasons. I hate the hot summers here with no rain. I preferred the PA summers even though they were humid. At least the weather didn't stay the same all the time, but I know that others, including my husband really like it this way. I'm encouraging my children to settle elsewhere, so I can go visit someplace different. Oh, well, you can't always have everything the exact way you would want it. My husband is a wonderful person, and I never met anyone that would compare to him when I lived back east.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:10 PM

809 posts, read 2,883,759 times
My dad got promoted a lot when I was younger....... From the time I was 0 years old to 13 I moved 6 times. I don't really remember the first two places I lived, but the last four are engraved. I miss cerain aspects of Charlotte, I was pretty young when I lived there, but I remember I loved the weather (although I'd prolly hate it now since I hate humidity) and I loved caterpillars (I don't see them at all in Illinois) and I loved the types of trees and landscape that was there.

In louisville I think I really only miss my one friend that I had there. I didn't really care for that city too much (I liked the country parts of Kentucky though).

In Cleveland I LOVED that we lived only two blocks from Lake Erie. I could walk to the cliffs and see the water and we were like 5 minutes away from the boat dock my dad could launch his boat at. I loved that it was FLAT (yes, illinois is flat, but living right on the lake in the burbs of cleveland it was REALLY flat)..... I really liked Cleveland a LOT (at least the western suburb that I lived in)

I currently live in a western suburb of Chicago and I want to move to Denver. I've lived here for about 12 years and I've actually gotten very bored! I think I'm SO use to moving so frequently that being here so long has been driving me nuts. I like certain aspects of living here, but I just want to go and explore a new city. (I definitely can do without the clogged roads of chicago, the over priced houses, and the shear SIZE of this city).

I like the mountains, and I like that Denver doesnt have NEARLY as much humidity as Chicago. I want to go start a new life out there. I'm going to be doing it all by myself though. NO family, no friends, just me........

My ex-boyfriend who is my best friend lives out in Denver so he's going to be the only person I know out there. My family flies in throughout the year because they vacation in Vail in Breckenridge so I'm sure I'd see them (Not to mention one of my dads offices is in Denver. He's a manager of an airline, and one of the hubs he manages is Denver).........

I'm going to be going there alone, but not........ It's pretty scary

Old 09-27-2008, 10:03 AM

187 posts, read 611,755 times
Long Island born & raised (32 years). All of my memories are there. It will always be a part of me. The good thing about memories is, you can always take them with you. My husband, my self and 3 children, just moved to middle TN about 2 months ago and although I love it here and would not consider going back... I think I will always refer to NY as Home! We left behind all our friends & family, which makes it tough. But we keep pretty busy with just the 5 of us and plan to visit often. We do have some family members that are following us down here. I will say that leaving NY has made me have more of an appreciation for it. TN is prettier & more family orientated and more of what I want for my family at this stage in the game, but my first 32 years were in NY and I wouldn't want it any other way. I am now looking forward to making new memories in my second home

Old 12-03-2008, 11:12 AM

29 posts, read 126,280 times
Yes, I moved away from Arlington, VA. I miss it sooo much. I literally haven't been the same without it. Its hard to adjust to these New England people who very closed-in and sheltered, where as Southern people are much more open and have bigger typically more relaxed personalities. I go back once ever summer or two for a while and visit friends, but I wish I could move back. It was sooo nice. I've put it in my mind that I will move back to a place like that one day to raise my kids....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues