U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 07:09 AM

174 posts, read 500,542 times

Advertisements

OK, so it looks like my fiance and I will be moving in.....wait for it.....January!

We currently live in SW PA and are moving to Raleigh, NC. After looking into weather predictions for this winter (I know, predictions, a.k.a. best guesses) it appears that everyone is predicting a horrible winter with lower than usual temperatures and higher than usual amounts of snow! Now, I usually wouldn't put much stock into those predictions (lately when they say it will rain it's sunny and when they say it will be sunny it rains , and that's for the same day not months in advance) but, I am really worried about the weather this winter. Maybe it's because we're moving so I'm just imagining worst case scenario, or maybe it's because we have had a cooler than usual summer and are already experiencing fall weather, but I think those predictions might be right!

So, my question is, does anyone have advice for moving in the dead of winter? We are using a U-Haul Trailer and towing it with our truck. I know that we will have to take certain precautions but other than buying a massive bag of salt I'm not sure what those precautions should be.

Thank you to any one who has advice to offer! I know we'll need it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 09:40 AM

730 posts, read 2,600,733 times
I drove cross country from Vail Colorado to New Jersey in January so I can understand your concerns. All I can advise is:

1.Make sure you check and double check the u-hall and make sure everything is in proper working order. I've rented several times and almost every time something went wrong/broke.

2. Make sure you have warm clothes and blankets in case you get stranded for a while.

3. Keep extra windshield washer fluid handy. If it snows you can go through TONS of it pretty quickly and if you run out and are far away from a gas station you are screwed.

4. Look into emergency road phone numbers for the areas you will be travelling through.

Good luck to you!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:11 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,057,725 times
I have moved twice during the month of February. Once it was to Northern Maine and once was Out of Northern Maine. (when I say northern Maine I mean 180 miles North of Bangor, so it is far northern Maine.) Agree with LynnePatrice and the list posted. I would add to make sure your tires are in very good shape and are properly inflated.

I would add that if you DO run into foul weather during your trip, slow down to YOUR comfort speed. If it is way slower than the flow of traffic, pull over, find a motel and spend a night out so you are not a hazard. If it is slower, but not a huge amount slower, don't let other drivers intimidate you out of your comfort zone by riding up your trailers read-end. If they don't like your speed, let them pass. If you are faster than the flow, re-assess what you feel is a prudent speed and slow it down, you are pulling a trailer and it will take MUCH further to stop. I have traveled thousands of miles in winter weather pulling trailers, speed is your enemy in bad weather, that trailer wants to keep going straight down the road, stopping, turning, and anything sudden is much more difficult and dangerous with a trailer attached to your vehicle, on snow and ice that is multiplied tenfold.

Use common sense and you will be fine. Plan an extra day for the trip, if it is nasty you have two choices:
1) Pull over and have a relaxing day/evening at a motel someplace eating out, watching a movie or two, then eating microwave popcorn before turning in to a comfy warm bed. Next morning you get up, the roads are sanded, plowed and the sun is out waiting for the trips continuation

2) White-knuckling the wheel and raising your blood pressure and stress level while fighting a freezing windshield, reduced visibility, wind gusts, and slick roads. Next morning you are tired, stressed, and irritable. (Been there have done both, much prefer the first option.)

Old 09-05-2008, 06:02 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,106,170 times
All very good advice! also....take along with you an empty tin can, and some tea light candles. if you get stuck due to weather, one small candle can really heat up a car.
take along some granola bars, or something along those lines, they'll tide you over until you can get to food.

we moved from socal to utah in december......that was an adventure.....lol.....prepare for the worst, and hopefully nothing with happen.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:55 AM

700 posts, read 2,328,134 times
Stay on MAJOR highways!!

Shouldnt be bad since its heading South. Drive during the day.
If it gets so bad that you actually need emergency kits and giant bags of sand....maybe stop for a day or two and kick back at a hotel?

Safety is always more important then a clock.
Good Luck

Old 09-06-2008, 10:18 AM

174 posts, read 500,542 times
Thank you everyone for your responses! I am really concerned about the timing of our move and I keep getting this nagging feeling that we're going to have a massive snow storm the week we move. Luckily, my fiance is an Automotive Technician and knows what to look for on the trailer to make sure it's working properly (I'm not thrilled about using U-haul but they're the only company that offers just a trailer!) and he's also a great driver (he has to be for his job!) so that's keeping me comforted!!!

Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we'll be able to make the move with little hassle!

Old 09-06-2008, 10:41 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,106,170 times
when you get to your destination, and decide to move things in, and snow/ice is on the ground, buy some of those rolled straw mats and put them down. they didn't slip or sink into the snow and they keep a lot of the wet out of the house/garage.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:53 PM

389 posts, read 945,976 times
About 4 and a half years ago, I moved from West Virginia to Washington State. It was quite a trip, let me tell you. While we moved in the spring, it was still quite an adventure, and I would offer several pieces of advice.

Choose non-mountainous areas to go through. Typically roads (particularly interstates) are very well kept in the winter, except in fairly high locations (e.g. 4th of July pass). I realize that there really aren't any "passes" on the East Coast, as there aren't any real mountains there, but this is still an important tip: If you can avoid mountains, avoid them. Period. Even if it means going a few hours out of your way. Snowstorms can crop up from virtually nowhere, so this is fairly important. You said you were in SW PA... I would advise against going through West Virginia in the wintertime. WV is relatively rural, and you're more likely to run into trouble there. I would suggest cutting across the state and THEN going south.

Watch your speed, make sure you always have enough gas, and if you're tired, REST. Even if it takes you an extra day, try to make it so you will have several extra days, should you need it. Chances are you won't, but it's always better to be prepared.

If you're traveling with pets, make sure they have what they need to be kept warm. And, make sure you have food in case your vehicle breaks down.

Once you get to where you're going, it should essentially be downhill from there. But, be careful of ice when you're unloading your stuff.

Best of luck and, again, main thing is avoid mountainous areas. This would mean avoiding West Virginia in the winter. While roads aren't usually that bad, they can be a bit rugged in the winter time.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:03 PM

634 posts, read 2,323,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VC dreamer View Post
All very good advice! also....take along with you an empty tin can, and some tea light candles. if you get stuck due to weather, one small candle can really heat up a car.
take along some granola bars, or something along those lines, they'll tide you over until you can get to food.

we moved from socal to utah in december......that was an adventure.....lol.....prepare for the worst, and hopefully nothing with happen.
Make sure you crack a window to let fresh oxygen in, you don't want carbon monoxide from the candle to overcome you. At least I think that might be possible with a candle, just want to make sure you're safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues