U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 12:47 PM

305 posts, read 1,548,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
A few extra clothes. Yes, you think your trip will take x number of days. But maybe not. Having something else to wear is so nice after a long day sitting in a car.
This is great advice even if your move is only going to take a day. We moved from Northern California down to LA; we left in the morning and got there in the evening. Two days before we left, my husband packed clothing and essentials for a week, but I only packed clothing for the day before we moved and the day of. My husband laughed when I woke up the day after we moved because the apartment was such a disaster I couldn't tell where all my packed items were and had to wear one of his shirts and use his toothbrush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 02:20 PM

73 posts, read 290,218 times
Another great thing to pack is a small, portable file cabinet (those cheap ones with the handle) Keep any important documentation you may need quickly, phone numbers, info from your moving company, any info from your new place, important docs (especially important if you are switching jobs and need it right away). When I moved halfway across the country, this helped keep me sane.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:05 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,430,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
I say one moving essential is a "TO DO LIST". I made a post it note to call and cancel U-haul. Well not sure where that note ended up in all the madness. So did I not get a call from U-haul today asking if I still wanted the truck!! Well, there is a $50 fee for not cancelling but the rep told me they are going to waive that fee.

By the way I have a to do list and that wasn't on there!
My to-do list was cards on a peg board. Started with general topics and was divided into specifics, and as each was taken care of was checked off in red so I could feel progress is made. I took a systems design approach and am still grateful for that class although it was only used once for software lol.

Also keep a notebook. Write everything in it. Emails and saved text are great if the computer is on, cards can easily be lost but the notebook needs to follow you everywhere you go once your packing.

Ironicially despite some broken things, some that magically never made it to the truck and the pack by weight so its all misc method this has been the easiest move I've ever made.

Who would think that 1400 miles would be easier than ten? That one was a disastor!

btw... I LOVE my new home and town!

Old 09-17-2008, 08:10 PM

461 posts, read 1,326,527 times
I moved across country a couple years ago and we were SO thankful that we brought a couple rolls of quarters (great for tolls, parking, vending machines and laundry) laundry detergent and a box of garbage bags. Also, lots of cds are essential... we got tired of going through radio stations every third song realy quickly! We packed our silverware, mugs and a couple pots and a pan which was nice to have, it took another week after we got here for our stuff to make it.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:13 PM

Oh I almost forgot... we really used our atlas a lot on our trip too!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:06 PM

369 posts, read 1,802,301 times
Just drove across the US moving from CA to CT. I was not as prepared as I might have been, and would plan better the next time (which will NOT be any time soon). My sister and I drove with my 11 year old and our Lab. I did have a cooler with ice, drinks and snacks. I had wipes, paper plates and plastic silverware. We had a triptik from the Auto Club and the books for each state they give you - really a HUGE help when deciding where to stop for the night. I also purchased a paper atlas, and this was also a big help. I was glad to have something cozy to change into each night after driving all day. I wish I would have brought detergent to use in the hotel washer. I also would have packed better snacks so we did not have to eat so much junk. In addition, I would have made sure to have beer in the cooler for those overnights in dry counties - I am not a big drinker, but sometimes a cold beer makes the transition from driving a little smoother. My daughter was fine with a Nintendo and laptop. She watched a lot of movies, although I did insist she spend some time just looking out the window and taking it all in..Dog food, leash and bowl for the dog.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:44 PM

We had the cooler in the back and a big bag of snacks... lifesaver! Especially at those stops where bottled water is $4 and they have a huge assortment of junk food and not much else.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:56 AM

8 posts, read 25,628 times
above all those essentials, dont you ever ever forget your camera.. you might want to capture every mile of the trip.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:40 PM

7,139 posts, read 13,142,616 times
Water and snacks! I tend to drive hard and seldom stop, so is good to have food along. Cell phone AND recharger is always important to remember. Hand wipes, alcohol and plenty of paper towels/TT. First aid kit, and handy access to whatever road service you use (put on visor). I travel with a cat (ugh!), so make sure I have plenty of cat litter. Not a good thing to run out of that in the middle of I 10 and NOWHERE to get any!!

Old 03-30-2012, 12:52 AM

14,972 posts, read 18,789,575 times
I know this is an old thread, but I happened to pull it up when searching for moving advice.

What amazes me is that this thread is less than 4years old and so much of the informuation is antiquated by technology.
Y
You don't need trip tik, an atlas or paper maps- use your GPS. Camera - use your cellphone. Cd's??? Nope,use the cellphone or your ipod. To do list on paper????? Not anymore. Portable filecabinets - use dropbox. Bring your laptop or tablet installed with skype and your tablet to see your family anywhere.

Isn't it amazing?

I'm not a kid or a geek, but even at 55, I can manage all of this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or