Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 06:15 PM

8 posts, read 14,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
You don't need trip tik, an atlas or paper maps- use your GPS.
Expensive, not everyone has one.

Quote:
Camera - use your cellphone.
Not everyone has a phone with a camera, and most cell phones don't compare to a good quality camera.

Quote:
Cd's??? Nope,use the cellphone or your ipod.
Only works if you can plug your device into the car and use the car speakers. Using the device's speakers (a) wears the battery down quickly, and (b) isn't going to produce as good quality sounds as the car speakers.

Quote:
To do list on paper????? Not anymore. Portable filecabinets - use dropbox.
*sigh* And for people who aren't leashed to their electronic devices, as you seem to be?

Quote:
Bring your laptop or tablet installed with skype and your tablet to see your family anywhere.
Decent quality tablets are pretty pricey, and you're assuming everyone has skype.

Also, batteries run down on electronic devices, which doesn't happen when your to do list is on paper. (Yes, I know you can buy car chargers. If you're as up on technology as you present yourself, you know that devices will still run down at inconvenient times.)

Quote:
Isn't it amazing?
That you think everyone has your desperate need to be on the "cutting edge" of technology? Yes, it is. I'm not a technophobe, heck, I've got most of the tech you describe (except for the ability to use the car speakers for my iphone--my car's about 5 years old, and no, I don't plan to replace anything just so I can pretend to be super sophisticated). I'm just also aware that not everyone is going to run out and buy the latest gizmo just to run around on the Internet yelling "check out what I'VE got!"

Quote:
I'm not a kid or a geek, but even at 55, I can manage all of this stuff.
No, I can tell that. No one but the most self-absorbed kid or geek would be making the assumptions you've made here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 05:03 PM

737 posts, read 1,148,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I happened to pull it up when searching for moving advice.

What amazes me is that this thread is less than 4years old and so much of the informuation is antiquated by technology.
Y
You don't need trip tik, an atlas or paper maps- use your GPS. Camera - use your cellphone. Cd's??? Nope,use the cellphone or your ipod. To do list on paper????? Not anymore. Portable filecabinets - use dropbox. Bring your laptop or tablet installed with skype and your tablet to see your family anywhere.

Isn't it amazing?

I'm not a kid or a geek, but even at 55, I can manage all of this stuff.
It is amazing. All of these changes happening in such a short time.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:29 PM

224 posts, read 545,970 times
I'm glad I read this... I hadn't thought about how I would move my gun....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues