U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 10:17 PM

6 posts, read 21,975 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a cross country move, what are some basic items i would need to survive for say... a few days ??

I've compiled a bare minimum in necessities like a toothbrush, soap, razor, toilet paper, alarm clock, and a towel.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 12:48 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,549,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TazmanianDevil View Post
I'm considering a cross country move, what are some basic items i would need to survive for say... a few days ??

I've compiled a bare minimum in necessities like a toothbrush, soap, razor, toilet paper, alarm clock, and a towel.

We took three days to get from Calif to Ok, and stopped at several motels. Several reccomendations.

Your own pillow. Its nice to have something you recognize as yours in random motel. Some are good and some are flattened. It does take space but not that much.

A hotpot. A small thing which warms water. I never travel without one. I had coffee bags and hot chocolate and my favorite cup, plus some munchies. Grabbing a cup in the morning while getting ready to go or having that latenight snack is every so much easier that way.

A few extra clothes. Yes, you think your trip will take x number of days. But maybe not. Having something else to wear is so nice after a long day sitting in a car.

A book or something else you can relax with so you can sleep.

Take your normal routine and see what you most use. Bring them. Its a lot easier than having to stop somewhere.

any meds you take of course, but the over the counter type you sometimes do too. Allergy pills can be useful when you enter new allergen zones and somethng to chase away the aches or a headache is very appreciated.

Maybe not totally required, but certainly things that make it a lot easire and less stressful.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:12 AM

179 posts, read 509,108 times
I'd pack just like you would when you go on a 1-2 weeks trip.
Even if the moving truck is scheduled to be there in a few days, you never know, it may break down, there's a storm and they got to stop or whatever.
Specially if you move with kids: Pack entertainment gear up :-)

Old 09-13-2008, 01:34 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,655,618 times
Are you camping, staying in a hotel, with family... ?

I try to be a minimalist while traveling...pack enough clothes and toiletries, and you've covered 99% of it.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:06 PM

896 posts, read 3,927,193 times
My husband laughed at me but when we moved cross country because I packed up two boxes with an air mattress, pillows, sheets, sleeping bags, towels, a cheap lamp I bought at Target and an alarm clock in boxes and shipped them to our new location (actually to my husband's new office and they kept it until we arrived). Despite my husband's snide remarks--it was a godsend while we waited 12 days for our stuff to arrive. Stuff like toilet paper, towels, paper plates, other essentials, etc., I just bought at the local grocery when we arrived.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:25 PM

486 posts, read 884,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel079 View Post
I'd pack just like you would when you go on a 1-2 weeks trip.
Even if the moving truck is scheduled to be there in a few days, you never know, it may break down, there's a storm and they got to stop or whatever.
Specially if you move with kids: Pack entertainment gear up :-)

Great advice!

Old 09-13-2008, 10:21 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,181,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
My husband laughed at me but when we moved cross country because I packed up two boxes with an air mattress, pillows, sheets, sleeping bags, towels, a cheap lamp I bought at Target and an alarm clock in boxes and shipped them to our new location (actually to my husband's new office and they kept it until we arrived). Despite my husband's snide remarks--it was a godsend while we waited 12 days for our stuff to arrive. Stuff like toilet paper, towels, paper plates, other essentials, etc., I just bought at the local grocery when we arrived.
I bet your husband was singing your praises afterwards!!

Old 09-14-2008, 12:40 AM

19,823 posts, read 56,018,889 times
It took 16 days to get my household from Miss to UT. I brought some cheap knives, spoons, and forks that I had gotten for a previous move (a lot easier to eat with than plastic ones). I bought paper plates and plastic cups here. I brought a truck with my bed, a small TV, my kitchen table and 2 chairs. Also towels, sheets, and clothes for 1 week. Then I had to find a laundromat. I had to being my houseplants, alcohol, and candles as the movers will not take them. Also won't take firearms if you have any. I needed the dog dishes, the cat dishes, the dogs' beds, the litterbox, and everyone's water bowls. Not sure if it applies for you, but I brought my jewelry as I didn't trust the movers to bring it.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:02 PM

896 posts, read 3,927,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
I bet your husband was singing your praises afterwards!!
Who knows! The day we arrived--he went on a business trip out of town so I was the one who slept on the air mattress!! I'm so glad I thought ahead!!

Old 09-17-2008, 12:02 PM

983 posts, read 4,095,923 times
I say one moving essential is a "TO DO LIST". I made a post it note to call and cancel U-haul. Well not sure where that note ended up in all the madness. So did I not get a call from U-haul today asking if I still wanted the truck!! Well, there is a $50 fee for not cancelling but the rep told me they are going to waive that fee.

By the way I have a to do list and that wasn't on there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or