U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 08:36 AM

793 posts, read 1,489,018 times

Advertisements

I have lots of ornaments, from different size, shape, and fragility. It may fit in a big big box or several smaller ones. I don't want them to break. How do you pack them so they don't break. I just got so many, and some are very very fragile. Some are the size of just bigger than a thumb, and it the size goes up to close to 3 feet tall.

I need help. I don't move very often, and I will be driving on some bumpy roads along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 08:56 AM

10,079 posts, read 11,405,376 times
I wrap mine in tissue paper (the same that you would put in a gift bag) and then put them in one of those ornament boxes that have separate spaces. I usually include the hanger because I am always losing them. Just wrap the ornament so that the hanger doesn't scratch it. If I have any opened tinsel, I will also put it in one of the spaces so that I can recycle the tinsel box. You can easily stack these boxes, and you can buy them at K-Mart, Walmart, etc.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:59 PM

625 posts, read 1,052,417 times
The tissue paper is great and if you can't find a divided box use a regular box and put shredded newspaper or packin peanuts for spacing. Allways put at least 2 inches of filler between items and sides of boxes. Good Luck

Old 09-17-2008, 05:49 PM

3,191 posts, read 5,683,781 times
For starters, liquor boxes! they have those cardboard divider thingies. Wrap them in tissue paper, and use shredded paper or peanuts between them to.
good luck

Old 09-17-2008, 08:29 PM

461 posts, read 965,535 times
You can get boxes for fruit from the grocery store with cardboard inserts that are rounded for holding apples or whatever. I also use clothes and towels to wrap breakables so I don't have a ton of tissue paper to throw away.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:49 PM

84 posts, read 168,310 times
I also use liquor boxes. I've used them for years to store my ornaments and just made a cross country move with them. No damage. I also used the liquor boxes to move my crystal, martini, and wine glasses. Risky, I know, but i was willing to chance it. I couldn't believe everything arrived unharmed. All the glasses were individually wrapped and the liquor boxes kept them very safe.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:43 PM

3,874 posts, read 11,552,811 times
The trick to packing breakables, for moving, mailing, storage -- lots of air.
That means lots of space around the item.
That means crunching the paper instead of wrapping it flatly and tightly around an object. Or slightly crunching it but definitely wrapping the item loosely.
Then using more wrapping items (shredded paper, styrofoam peanuts, or more crunched paper) to add air around the item.
Air, beautiful air!

Old 12-19-2011, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 6,101 times
Default Article on Packing and Storage of Christmas Ornaments

If you have a paper shredder, rather than throwing out old documents and used wrapping paper, shred it and use it to nestle glass and other fragile ornaments. I wrote this article on how to safely pack and store fragile Christmas ornaments, and it has a lot of thrifty, clever ways to store ornanaments.

Good luck!

(Removed link, junior members cannot recommend services)
Read TOS. Thank you Jasper12

Last edited by jasper12; 01-01-2012 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: removed link

Old 12-19-2011, 10:27 PM

121 posts, read 190,934 times
I just moved 1500 miles and had our ornaments in a container like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00063...dir_mdp_mobile

No tissue paper, nothing, just the dividers and it was fine. I left the containers out of moving boxes as to let the movers see that it was ornament and so they knew it was fragile. Not one broken!!

Old 12-19-2011, 10:39 PM

4,179 posts, read 5,751,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieJenks View Post
If you have a paper shredder, rather than throwing out old documents and used wrapping paper, shred it and use it to nestle glass and other fragile ornaments. I wrote this article on how to safely pack and store fragile Christmas ornaments, and it has a lot of thrifty, clever ways to store ornaments.

How To Safely Pack and Store Christmas Ornaments | Self Storage Solutions by Assured Self Storage

Good luck!

I have ornaments from my parents' tree as well as 40 years of my own ornaments, many fragile and handmade or mouthblown. Those mizerabull cardboard ornament boxes with the cheap dividers are (almost) useless to me. I have a large Rubbermaid plastic tub with a snap-on lid. First I put a 2-inch thick shredded paper layer in the bottom, bringing it up the sides. Then I put a layer of ornaments, half-burying them in the paper so they don't move. Then more shredded paper to completely cover them. Then I put flat pieces of cardboard on top, another deep layer of shredded paper, and on to the top, making sure that no ornament, only paper, touches the sides and cardboard. A final layer of cardboard on top, then the (reused) tinsel wrapped in sheets of newspaper. Snap the lid shut, and done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues