Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 05:01 PM

281 posts, read 640,678 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the automotive forum, but I figured I'd start here. I've decided to pack as much as possible in my car for my move this summer, about 1700 miles. I have a 2003 Olds Alero so it won't hold much, but I can fold seats down, use a lot of smaller containers and bags, and cram as much as it'll hold. My concern is I wonder if there is a weight limit that I should worry about? Obviously I won't know how much it will weigh, but does anyone know at what point should I look out for if it is not safe to drive? I mean I doubt the tires will be rubbing, but at some point there must be a cutoff? I will just have regular household items, clothing, dishes, decor, a few books but not a lot of overly heavy stuff.

Has anyone packed a car to the roof with stuff and drove that far? Should I over-inflate my tires?

Thanks everyone!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 09:07 PM

457 posts, read 602,503 times
Definitely do not over inflate your car. Your car manual will say how much the car will be able to hold. Probably around 1200 lbs. Weigh each box.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:47 PM

143 posts, read 263,630 times
Check the door frame for the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). Subtract the curb weight of the vehicle from that (I believe an Alero is around 3200 lbs) and you have your cargo/passenger capacity. Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Also, any worn steering/suspension components would affect how much you can safely carry.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:26 AM

16,881 posts, read 15,995,876 times
800 pounds maximum is usually about right. Anything more than that and you may get killed.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:53 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,447,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXred View Post
I have a 2003 Olds Alero so it won't hold much...
I wonder if there is a weight limit that I should worry about?
The weight is far less of an issue (for most) than cubic feet will prove to be.
So unless your plan is to pack lead ingots... start loading.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:26 AM

24,215 posts, read 16,899,255 times
Yes check your owners manual and door frame for weight info. Don't forget to include passengers. When loading try to get the heaviest items over the rear axle or to the front of it. If you have a lot of weight behind that axle your car might sway and be hard to control.
Above all be careful when you are packing. Think about if someone cuts you off and you had to do a panic stop you don't want anything hitting you in the back of the head when you slam on the brakes.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:54 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXred View Post
SNIP Should I over-inflate my tires?

Thanks everyone!
Doesn't that last question seem rather telling? Obviously you know where to get the information about your car's tire pressure and on that same sticker is the loading capacities of the car. I bet you've looked at it before and know how much you car can carry.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Doesn't that last question seem rather telling? Obviously you know where to get the information about your car's tire pressure and on that same sticker is the loading capacities of the car. I bet you've looked at it before and know how much you car can carry.
Obviously anyone can find that information...but if you recall the MAIN purpose of my question as I kept rambling on was in reality (not stats) if anyone has packed their car to the roof full of goods and had any problems with doing that? Or do people squeeze in whatever can fit and they do just fine. I also stated I obviously will have no way to know what the car will weigh when packed...so what do numbers matter? My term "weight" was meant to be used a general guideline for "how much crap".

No need to get snippy

Old 02-20-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The weight is far less of an issue (for most) than cubic feet will prove to be.
So unless your plan is to pack lead ingots... start loading.
Thank you Mr. Rational..that's kind of what I was getting at. I have normal household items so it sounds like I'll be able to just fill it up and be fine.

Also, the question about over-inflating the tires is because my mechanic said he under-inflated them a bit since I mostly drive alone, and he said the ratings are made to include passengers. He said under-inflating them will give me a smoother ride. So, with that, I thought if I over-inflated them for when it is packed full it would be better... Sounds like just inflating them to factory suggestion is the best idea.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:02 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,780,653 times
I've driven a Honda Civic packed to the gills, including a rooftop box. No issues what so ever (well below the weight limits of the car as a whole, and the roof load restrictions).

Fill your tires normally, do an oil change before you go and have fun (well, give your cooling system a once over as well, that is an older car that is going to get worked a bit (you are going to hit grades going 1700 miles, add that to the weight and the summer heat and your cooling system may get stressed pretty heavy).

Make sure your brakes are in good enough shape for the trip as well, as those grades and weight will play a role in your stopping power too.

If you plan on packing so that you can't use your rear windows, practice driving without those in a controlled environment first (I used an abandoned parking lot and sunshades to block the back three windows prior to my trips). IMHO you dont need a whole lot of rear view on the long hauls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues