Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 01:32 PM

757 posts, read 1,093,784 times

Advertisements

I remember years ago when I got divorced, I had shipped several boxes of my ex's stuff to the Pacific Northwest from San Diego. It was economical because we didn't have any time deadlines. Has anyone does this recently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 02:26 PM

281 posts, read 643,362 times
Wow, I had no idea Greyhound shipped packages. I did a quick quote online and it seems a bit higher than one I did with UPS last week. Also, they only insure up to $300 which won't work for my tv. I have only done cursory quotes since I don't have anything packed up and weighed yet but GH seems like it was about $30 or so more.

When I get closer I will do more detailed comparison shopping between USPS, UPS etc...I'll post when I find out the most economical but it'll be a couple months.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:33 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,101,719 times
My mom used to ship via GH ages ago. I assumed they stopped doing it due to security concerns (most passenger modes of transportation want a person with the packages/luggage).

I'm surprised that they still do that!

Old 02-12-2014, 03:24 PM

So if I am in Denver and want to ship home goods and clothing back to SD, would UPS be the way to go? Nothing of high value.

Sadly, I may have to make a quick exit from Denver if I don't find a job by the end of March. Pretty depressing. I have a small hatchback with a trailer hitch for my bike. I guess I could rent a small U-Haul trailer and just bring my stuff that way.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:15 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,439,200 times
My son shipped a lot of stuff from Seattle to Dallas, was a LOT cheaper than UPS. You can also consider freight lines. They will ship partial loads but you will have to go to their terminal for pickup

Old 02-12-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
My son shipped a lot of stuff from Seattle to Dallas, was a LOT cheaper than UPS. You can also consider freight lines. They will ship partial loads but you will have to go to their terminal for pickup
Thanks!

Old 02-14-2014, 05:58 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Home

Just be sure you realize you must bring your package(s) to a terminal that accepts them and they must be picked up at the destination terminal unless you pay extra.
But, if you want to pay for it, door to door is possible.
It's a great service for bulky and oversized things.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:16 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,947,713 times
"Back in the day", we used to get blood shipments via Greyhound. At the time, that was often the quickest way to transport blood between blood banks. I've been out of nursing a few years, so I don't know if they still do that. Funny. Units of blood would be in a little igloo carrier right next to the passengers' luggage.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:29 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
So if I am in Denver and want to ship home goods and clothing back to SD, would UPS be the way to go? Nothing of high value.

Sadly, I may have to make a quick exit from Denver if I don't find a job by the end of March. Pretty depressing. I have a small hatchback with a trailer hitch for my bike. I guess I could rent a small U-Haul trailer and just bring my stuff that way.
If it were me, and I just left Denver for OC, there is no way I would try and take a uhaul trailer over the divide with a small car. If you must spend 2-3 hours and go ABQ to SD. Uhaul has mini pods too that may suit your needs, we had a full house so we used ABF. Good luck

Old 02-18-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
If it were me, and I just left Denver for OC, there is no way I would try and take a uhaul trailer over the divide with a small car. If you must spend 2-3 hours and go ABQ to SD. Uhaul has mini pods too that may suit your needs, we had a full house so we used ABF. Good luck
Thanks! I'm really not wild about pulling a trailer with my little car. I think I will just take the essentials with me in the car and ship the rest. Most of my stuff will be going into storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues