U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 07:30 AM

1 posts, read 33,994 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to Las Vegas from New York and was wondering if anyone has used a train to move their stuff rather than a truck. With the cost of gas I would think that a train would be more ecconomical. I have seen places to transport your car by train but nothing on the rest of your stuff. I looked into pods but they are too expensive.

How do you go about doing it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 12:06 PM

983 posts, read 4,085,506 times
I don't think you can use the train since I am sure they have a limit on number of bags like the airlines maybe? Not sure but go to Amtrak website and see.
Also another service similar to Pods is Upack thru ABF. They are more than half of what Pods cost but their containers are smaller so depends on yr move size. ABF also has a service where you take it to their freight location and load it yourself there and it is even cheaper than if they bring it to you.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:18 PM

305 posts, read 1,548,144 times
It would work if you're only moving yourself and a couple of bags; I don't think it would work for a household or even just a couple of people with furniture.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:23 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,427,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
I don't think you can use the train since I am sure they have a limit on number of bags like the airlines maybe? Not sure but go to Amtrak website and see.
Also another service similar to Pods is Upack thru ABF. They are more than half of what Pods cost but their containers are smaller so depends on yr move size. ABF also has a service where you take it to their freight location and load it yourself there and it is even cheaper than if they bring it to you.
Amtrak has a limit of one large checked bag (which can only be checked if each transfer included checked luggage- some stops are just for passangers and your luggage would go on and on and on)

Carryon, they allow two bags, up to 29 inches by 24 by 12 (would have to look it up to be sure) and there is space in the bottom of the car to store one this size. Smaller carryons can fit by your seat, and laptop, briefcase and purse are not counted. But don't end up with a bunch of small bags...its hard to hold all of them.

Next train trip the 29' suitcase and the large packpack I have the laptop in, and maybe a little bag with light stuff. No more.

If your stuff is going one way and you aren't going with it and you have the time, the train might be a relaxing way to get there.

No firearms are allowed (even with permits) and no animals though.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:23 PM

9 posts, read 49,335 times
I think he means by freight train.

I don't know if they still do that kind of thing. Maybe if you had so much crap to fill a 55' sea container that could be put on a flat car :P

Old 03-10-2010, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 31,477 times
am curious if you've found anything about this or not. thanks!

Old 03-31-2010, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 31,270 times
HAHAHAHA god some people are stupid. YES HE DEF MEANT FREIGHT TRAIN. I doubt he was planning on lugging his f+%king couch with him on a regular train. I get sooo annoyed by how dumb people are. Don't answer questions people, unless your responses are serious. This dude was asking a simple question and ya gave him the worst responses. I bet the response below was actually searched by the individual!!!

Amtrak has a limit of one large checked bag (which can only be checked if each transfer included checked luggage- some stops are just for passangers and your luggage would go on and on and on)

Carryon, they allow two bags, up to 29 inches by 24 by 12 (would have to look it up to be sure) and there is space in the bottom of the car to store one this size. Smaller carryons can fit by your seat, and laptop, briefcase and purse are not counted. But don't end up with a bunch of small bags...its hard to hold all of them.

Next train trip the 29' suitcase and the large packpack I have the laptop in, and maybe a little bag with light stuff. No more.

If your stuff is going one way and you aren't going with it and you have the time, the train might be a relaxing way to get there.

No firearms are allowed (even with permits) and no animals though.

Read more: Moving by train?

Old 03-31-2010, 06:02 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,135,732 times
Amtrak has a freight service called Amtrak Express.

You can ship up to 500 lbs loose, after that it needs to be palletized.

Origination and destination service is also limited. You couldn't, for instance, have your household shipped to, say, Mount Pleasant Iowa, because it is basically an unmanned station, with no staff or equipment to offload the items.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 22,775 times
My mom said that when they moved to Missouri from Idaho, they used a freight car to move their entire household. She was pregnant with me at the time, so I'm not sure how that all worked. But it has been done before.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 14,311 times
I want to move a 10 by 12' shed and loads od gym equpment, two cars and some fruniture in a freight train box car. How do i find the rate from ny to florida, and who loads, picks it up, delivers it to the train and then to the final destination?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues