U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 04:11 PM

557 posts, read 1,630,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
my one BIG dilemma that I'm starting to realize is I have a LOT more clothing items and small stuff then I really realized..... more then would fit in my eclipse.....

(If you don't know how small an eclipse is, go look at the new 2009 models! They have NOOOOOOOO back seat and NOOOOOO trunk space.)

So I'm inevitably guna have to figure out some CHEAP way to move all my stuff.......

I'm really honestly looking into ABF U-pack even though I've heard horror stories....

I also read GOOD stories from people who packed their stuff SUPER well AND didn't have outrageous exectations (I realize that it's a freight company so I realize they aren't going to be as precise as an ACTUAL moving company).........

So I figure I can pack necessities for a time frame of two weeks and then ship all my crap via ABF u-pack. It's like $800 if I can figure out how to pack it all up in their trailer just right..... PLUS then I won't have to pay for gas for a rental truck...

and of course I can pack SOME stuff in my car.......
The relocube will be your cheapest and easiest way to move. Just load it tight and keep the heaviest stuff on the bottom and work your way back. Make sure you wrap glass ,tvs, valuables with heavy blankets . Tie furniture to the sides and make sure nothing can shift or move. Jam cardboard and clothing in any gapped area. Fill it as full as possible and you'll minimize any damage. You can put your own lock on when you're done.

Another way is the Abf trailer. They give you 5 feet back and 8 feet high with the original quote and it is about the same square foot as the relocube. Of course you can go past the 5 feet for extra. You load your stuff in an empty trailer and than place a barrier when you are finished so they can load their freight behind it. The chances are much higher for damages using this method. I used this method and my tvs,stereos,computers,furniture,belongings,etc were all fine. Just separate your stuff into heavy,medium,light and load according. Bring a tape measurer and tape with you and mark off 5 feet back. Load it high and tight and your stuff will be fine.

I wouldn't give up your stuff either as it would cost more to re-buy everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 07:19 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,635,665 times
I've been down the same road and if I were doing it over, I would unload all furniture and start over. There are thrift stores and yard sales all over the country. Drive it as if you are in an adventure in your car, take a few secondary roads and give yourself a chance to meet some of the countryside along the way. Don't forget to take a camera!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues