Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 04:38 PM

809 posts, read 2,884,476 times

Advertisements

I want to hear from people who have either used ABF U-Pack or the Relocubes........ what was your experience like??? (Good or bad)

Did you have them drop off the trailer/cube or did you load at the terminal????????

I want to hear as many stories as possible because I'm like 80% sure I want to use them for my move in February from chicago to denver

(AND PLEASE!!!!!!!! I don't want people to tell me to just sell my stuff!!!!!!!! All of my stuff is LESS then a year old (bed, dresser, desk, chair, etc) and it was all bought at Ikea which Denver DOES NOT HAVE!!!!! So I do not want to give up my cheap Ikea stuff that is still in BRAND new condition!!!!!) (i have a medium sized dresser, two small end tables, a desk, a chair)... and my bed which is NOT from Ikea and is prolly the biggest thing I have. It's a REALLY nice pillowtop bed that I got on sale for $500 which was marked down from $1,000. I doubt I'll find that good of a deal on such a nice bed at a store in Denver)

(BTW, I definitely am NOT using Uhaul or any moving company, ABF has proved to be the CHEAPEST solution for what I have.......)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 01:03 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times
I have used ABF twice and both times I had an outstanding experience. ABF personnel go out of their way to make your move as easy as possible. Everything was on schedule and my relo cubes arrived at my destination before I left on one move. I used them both ways, having the cubes delivered to my driveway, and picking up at the terminals. Either way my experience with this company was exceptional.
As for cost, wow, I was given an estimate from a mover for $6300 from SC to PA. I used three relo cubes and at that time paid about $1000. Including related costs my total moving expenses were less than $1600. (I am sure prices gave gone up a bit but so have the mover's prices).
The only thing with this method is you have to pack and load. You must pack to prevent breakage. With the savings it is very easy to justify spending a little more to protect you possessions. My advice on the bed is to get a mattress cover, zip up type, W-mart has them cheap. Cheapest place I found for boxes was Lowes. Odd size boxes available at U-haul moving center, but never rent a truck from them. Bubble wrap was cheapest at Lowes. Use the fiber reinforced tape it is worth the extra money.
Another nice thing about using ABF is you don't have to drive a truck. Not that driving a truck is that bad but it is a heck of lot easier just to drive your own vehicle.
Good luck,
Don

Old 09-30-2008, 01:54 PM

665 posts, read 1,926,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
I want to hear from people who have either used ABF U-Pack or the Relocubes........ what was your experience like??? (Good or bad)

Did you have them drop off the trailer/cube or did you load at the terminal????????

I want to hear as many stories as possible because I'm like 80% sure I want to use them for my move in February from chicago to denver

(AND PLEASE!!!!!!!! I don't want people to tell me to just sell my stuff!!!!!!!! All of my stuff is LESS then a year old (bed, dresser, desk, chair, etc) and it was all bought at Ikea which Denver DOES NOT HAVE!!!!! So I do not want to give up my cheap Ikea stuff that is still in BRAND new condition!!!!!) (i have a medium sized dresser, two small end tables, a desk, a chair)... and my bed which is NOT from Ikea and is prolly the biggest thing I have. It's a REALLY nice pillowtop bed that I got on sale for $500 which was marked down from $1,000. I doubt I'll find that good of a deal on such a nice bed at a store in Denver)

(BTW, I definitely am NOT using Uhaul or any moving company, ABF has proved to be the CHEAPEST solution for what I have.......)
I also used ABF, I would use them again in a heartbeat! The company worked with us ,& the drivers both were very polite.You just have to make sure you pack your delicate things well. The price was very agreeable!I was pleased

Old 09-30-2008, 06:08 PM

983 posts, read 4,442,007 times
Just finished using ABF this past wknd! Overall I would say the company was great. Only negative was when I finished packing the relocube and called to have it picked up the receptionist said "OKay someone will be there in a couple hours". So I waited for 3 hrs and called back and dispatch said he hadn't been told there was a pick up but assured me someone would be out first thing in the morn.

Now I have to give Kudos to the driver of the ABF big humongous trucks. My location was not easy for him to get that thing in but he found a location to park it and came back around with that forklift to get the relocubes. Never once complained about how hard it was to get parked.

Now I have to worn you that your stuff has to be secured in a relocube cause it will shift and move around. Mine was packed out very tight and overall I only had one broken small plate. If you use the trailer yr stuff will be secured by those big bulkheads but I would still tie it down.

ABF was right on time at new location, they said 3 business days and it was 3 business days.

Whatever you do dont use those nasty furn pads from Uhaul on light furniture. They caused damage to my off white furn. Not sure what was on those nasty things. But never again. I would say use yr own blankets and sheets, or the clear furn wrap.

ABF is very reputable and good company.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:34 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
Default Free Boxes on Craig's List

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Cheapest place I found for boxes was Lowes. Odd size boxes available at U-haul moving center, but never rent a truck from them. Bubble wrap was cheapest at Lowes. Use the fiber reinforced tape it is worth the extra money.
You can also look on Craig's List for boxes. Many people give them away for free. Don't forget about wardrobe boxes. Wonderful for hanging your good stuff, and you can fill the bottom with shoes and purses to keep it from tipping over.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:02 AM

558 posts, read 1,835,292 times
I used ABF when I moved to Florida from PA . The terminal I used was out of Relo-cubes so I had to do terminal to terminal. I was very happy with the service and it is by far the cheapest way to move. If you are near a small terminal make sure you order a relo-cube 4 weeks before you move so they will be available to you. Everybody I talked to that used ABF was very happy with them.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:33 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,638,103 times
I will be moving with ABF in a few weeks, and happy with them so far. Did not know what to expect, did not know how big the pods were, etc. so went out to the terminal. The guy there couldn't quote prices, but he showed me the cubes vs. the trailer, made some good suggestions, was very helpful. So am going with them. Hopefully, will just need two cubes. Spoke at length with ABF 800 number, very friendly and helpful person as well, talked me through the steps and gave me good prices and options, etc.

As for selling, I have found my calling! That is SO much fun to get on a website like craigslist, put your ad in, and presto people bring their money to you!! So have sold at least four big pieces of furniture today, as well as washer/dryer. Only have two cubes for the move, and have so many boxes and books, household things, etc. Will just keep several treasured pieces of furniture, and let the rest go to others. Have even found someone who will come take my plants.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:40 PM

983 posts, read 4,442,007 times
Lilypad the key is getting experienced loaders to pack it out. I was amazed at the guys I used from Uhaul link that provide moving help. This guy was in the moving industry for 15 yrs and went solo. He got all my stuff into one relo cube. Now I did sell items too, but what was left was dining set, queen size bdrm with large armoir, t.v, book case, cd case, lg house plant, vacuum, etc and about 30 small, med, and lg boxes. Now I did breakdown 2 wardrobe boxes and put clothes into lg trash bags so he could make it work.
The rule of thumb is that one relo cube should fit one rm of furn, like yr living rm set and tables and boxes.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:24 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,638,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
Lilypad the key is getting experienced loaders to pack it out. I was amazed at the guys I used from Uhaul link that provide moving help. This guy was in the moving industry for 15 yrs and went solo. He got all my stuff into one relo cube. Now I did sell items too, but what was left was dining set, queen size bdrm with large armoir, t.v, book case, cd case, lg house plant, vacuum, etc and about 30 small, med, and lg boxes. Now I did breakdown 2 wardrobe boxes and put clothes into lg trash bags so he could make it work.
The rule of thumb is that one relo cube should fit one rm of furn, like yr living rm set and tables and boxes.

It would be nice if all my stuff could fit into one relo cube! I will watch them carefully. They have done this alot though for college kids and used to packing in tight. I don't have that much (not now, purged big time!) and sold several large pieces of furniture. So will just have: 2 desks (unless I can get a good price for one); bookcase; double mattress and headboard/frame; love seat; 4-6 small tables; 3 small chairs and wingback chair; small stereo. Will sell very old TV. Sold the appliances. I also will have lots of boxes. I have 4 large boxes of books! The rest just regular household stuff. Actually gave away most of my linens/towels/etc to Goodwill. They took 10 big boxes of JUNK away today!! Changed my mind about flying and will drive my car (full size) so I can take most of my clothes and things I will need temporarily at my new destination.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:00 PM

302 posts, read 580,361 times
ABF was great. We moved 2 months ago, they dropped off the truck when they said they would and picked it up. It was waiting for us when we got here after moving from CA to MI. You have to pack it tight! Our driver stressed that and to use ropes every 2-3 feet in the truck to keep things from shifting. We had trouble when we got here with the closing on the house and it was delayed by about a week. ABF held the truck and did not even charge us for the extra storage time. Our things were in good condition when they got here, including 2 very fragile bubble glass pictures that really had me worried. They were a very bright spot in a very stressfull move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues