U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:33 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,458,195 times

Advertisements

My work required that I am gone a month, bleach in the toilet does not do it, you will need someone to bleach, swish and flush it every 2 weeks or it will look like someone washed nasty feet in it. EUCK! If the water is being turned off, pour anti freeze in it, flush and add more to sit in there ... In case the power goes off and nobody is there and I would also drain all the water pipes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 10:18 AM

620 posts, read 1,779,196 times
Have your realtor go in every so often to check to make sure the doors are locked, and such after a showing.

When we left our house ( it wasn't completely vacant), I typed a sign and put it out for the agents that showed our house. I told them Thank you for showing the house, etc. and gave them directions to do before they left;
1.Turn off ALL lights/ ceilings fans
2. Deadbolt/ Lock ALL doors
3. Make sure to leave their card.
** I did say please first!

That list at least gave me peace of mind that they might do it!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:49 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,559,055 times
Put a sign near the thermostat requesting settings not be changed. Some buyers turn the heat on and then forget to set it back to the right temperature. You can't take the chance that they leave it on too low, or leave it on at 90.

Close the flue to the fireplace. If you're on a regular oil delivery, contact them to stop the delivery.

If you have a friend in the police department, request them to do drive-bys to make sure everything is in order. We left our home while it was in escrow and something burned in the furnace causing smoke to come out of the chimney. A police officer was driving by and noticed the smoke, then called the realtor and the fire department. Thankfully, it was nothing major that would have caused the sale to fall through. There was no damage but you can just imagine our terror being 700 miles away and in the midst of a sale.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:05 AM

4,521 posts, read 5,215,281 times
I just sold my house while I was on extended trips (weeks long) and I can tell you it's a challenge. When delaying the sale of your house by months, you have to weigh the extra or continued utility costs vs. paying the extra months of a mortgage. For me and my agent, it was sell competively yet not give the house away (still sold at a loss).

Here are some tips:
Cancel the trash pickup and cable/Sat TV. Never going to need it, even with inspection. I paid the neighbor for my occasional bag of trash that I did have.

I didn't see any benefit to leaving a business card. When I got home there was a pile of cards and I wasn't going to call any of the potential buyers. The house was in a big city that had a centralized showing program so we (& realtor) knew who showed the house and there was a website that provided buyer feedback (thru the buyers' agents).

My realtor either didn't stop by or didn't follow requests to occasionally flush the toilets, water indoor plants, etc. Almost every time I returned the toilet was unflushed. Who doesn't flush - buyer or an agent?

Temperature. I sold in the Texas summer and there 'wasn't time' for an agent to adjust the temp. I programmed the temps to be lower during the day and raised them at nights (to try to save money). It's backwards but the agents explained the extra cost is worth it when selling the house.

I paid for routine yard and pool care (different companies). Pool company agreed to water the outside plants for an extra fee. My water billed increased while I used the underground sprinkler system - and this kept the routine yard maintenance crew busy (crazy circle of work here).

Cleaning. Didn't hire a cleaning crew. The longest trip was 3 weeks and the house needed another dusting but if the house is spotless and truly ready for house showings, a little dust over a couple of weeks is not going to prevent a house sale. My indoor plants were the low-water types and still didn't look good after the 3-week trip.

Biggest worry was storms or heavy rain. Last thing you want is a big tree that falls in your front yard during a storm. I had occasional critters dig up the front landscaped areas that had mulch but the landscape crew fixed those weekly.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:07 PM

14,168 posts, read 44,731,825 times
Not really answering the OP's question, but I would suggest getting one of the "home stager" people to stay in your house, they live there for free or even are paid but are on the hook to keep the house show-able and to let you know if something goes wrong. Your real estate agent should know about this service.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 589 times
Default Care takers

Is there anyone looking for someone to take care of their property for free rent until it sells? I can do alot of handy work from electrical, plumbing, carpentry, landscape, security, ect... How do I find these people?

Last edited by Lgriffin2223; 03-26-2019 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: Add more

Old 03-26-2019, 12:40 PM

6,831 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgriffin2223 View Post
Is there anyone looking for someone to take care of their property for free rent until it sells? I can do alot of handy work from electrical, plumbing, carpentry, landscape, security, ect... How do I find these people?
You advertise a tiny bit more locally than you are doing right now. Spamming and highjacking multiple threads on a forum that has members from all over the world isn't a great way to start. You'll have to spend more effort with local classified ads, local realtors, local craigslist etc.

Old 03-27-2019, 05:46 PM

790 posts, read 301,229 times
To OP:

Invest in security cameras as long as yiu keep electricity and internet service on. The NEST cameras have great video and keep the videos for over a week. The Alarm.com cameras are fair video.
I am sure there are other systems out there you can check into.
You may also want to have the smoke alarm/break in protection beyond just getting videos of a bad guy messing you vacant home.
Having a good security system may also help on insurance cost as vacancy will cause higher premiums but with an active security system they may be more willing to inure the vacant home
Good luck.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:18 PM

17 posts, read 6,083 times
Have a neighbor or someone you know pick up any newspapers, flyers, mail etc. left laying around in the front. If there is a pile of mail, someone with bad intentions may take that as a sign the homeowner hasn't been around in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues