Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 10:14 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,986 times

Advertisements

The Peaceable Journey law is federal, but some states ignore it. NJ completely ignores it. Their statie stormtroopers once confiscated a hunting rifle from a guy whose plane made an unscheduled stop in Newark. Shipping FedEx will cost a fortune. They require guns to go priority overnight, which is min. $60 per. That would be thousands for me. I had a very trusted friend drive one of my cars from VA to AZ. I put all my long guns in the trunk with the bolts removed. I took all the handguns in my car when I drove. I shipped a lot of ammo with the movers, since my price was volume, not weight, based. I have CCW's that had me covered in all the states I passed through, so I could carry my handguns however I wanted. I always had one in my jacket or door pocket and all the others in the trunk. I drove over 100 mph for a good five hours on end through TX and NM. Didn't get stopped once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 11:34 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
The federal law should hold plenty of weight providing you are not a felon. Unload them; case them; lock them, ship them. Put the ammo in a separate case; lock it and ship it. Put the clips, bolts, etc, in a separate case. lock it and stip it. Do not make it easy for the bad guys. Do make sure your licenses and registration and ID and sales receipt are in order. It would not hurt to keep a written list of ID numbers, etc., with you in case something gets lost. It is much easier to file a report if you have it. We hope you have a safe and unentful trip.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:27 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
All this depends greatly on where you are coming from and where you are going. In general, so long as you are not north and east of say Chicago, you can put your guns in the trunk of your car, in cases, unloaded, and you are fine. BTW moving companies won't ship ammo, so you'll have to carry that as well.

If your company sends you north and east of Chicago, my advice would be to quit if you can, if necessary store your guns with someone in free country, do the minimum stint in the northeastern people's republic, and move on.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:03 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,273 times
If you are worried about carrying them, go to a gun shop. They should be able to ship them to a gun shop local to where you are moving and you can pick them up there(with ID and paperwork of course)

Old 10-28-2008, 09:31 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,642 times
Default ...

We own guns and will be moving across the country. They will be in their DOJ approved safe(we're moving ourselves) If we were having movers do it that they would travel with us. I think maybe the shotguns would stay here as I am not sure we would be able to accommodate them in the truck comfortable.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:49 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
All this depends greatly on where you are coming from and where you are going. In general, so long as you are not north and east of say Chicago, you can put your guns in the trunk of your car, in cases, unloaded, and you are fine. BTW moving companies won't ship ammo, so you'll have to carry that as well.

If your company sends you north and east of Chicago, my advice would be to quit if you can, if necessary store your guns with someone in free country, do the minimum stint in the northeastern people's republic, and move on.
Northeast of Chicago? Come on now, that is a bit broad don't you think. Michigan has better (meaning more relaxed) laws than Illinois and for sure better than Chicago itself. Maine is one of the most gun friendly states I have even been to. Both Maine and Michigan are SHALL issue states also. The only ones in the northeast that are nazi's statewide with their gun laws (especially handgun laws) are New York and Mass. A few others have more restrictive laws than out west, but not as bad as you make it sound.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:50 PM

20 posts, read 96,315 times
I would add New Jersey to that list Bydand

Old 10-30-2008, 06:18 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Well, you are right Bydand, although most of the economic activity is in the anti-gun states. But New Hampshire, particularly Vermont, Maine, as you note Michigan are gun-friendly.

But if you are moving north and east of Chicago, you at lest have to pick your route carefully, I guess I'm trying to say the problem spots are all N and E of Chi, not that the entire area N and E of Chi is a continuous hotbed of anti-gun hysteria.

As noted, that hotbed would be NY, NJ, MA, and maybe to some extent RI, CN. And IL.

Are there any jobs in Michigan anyway? To hear the news the only economic activity there is in pawn shops, outplacement, reposession, and all those other lovely industries that flourish when the "real" economy goes south...

Old 10-30-2008, 06:20 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
If you are worried about carrying them, go to a gun shop. They should be able to ship them to a gun shop local to where you are moving and you can pick them up there(with ID and paperwork of course)
This is an insanely expensive way to go. You'll have to pay at least $50 per gun between FFL transfer fee and shipping and that's if the gun store has a good deal on shipping. And you get to paperwork on evey gun. They don't just put them all in a box and ship them as a batch.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:21 PM

445 posts, read 1,344,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
The Peaceable Journey law is federal, but some states ignore it. NJ completely ignores it. Their statie stormtroopers once confiscated a hunting rifle from a guy whose plane made an unscheduled stop in Newark.

... and their statie Stormtroopers will lose a Section 1983 Civil Suit in Federal Court, every single time and that gun owner will get a helluva lot more back from them than the cost of his rifle. The Firearm Owners Protection Act is extremely clear about this. State law cannot 'trump' Federal law, thus the entire reason this law was passed on the Federal level.

I agree that it is always dangerous to tempt 'legal theory' in the context of clear-cut, real world state-sponsored actions, even when those actions are contrary to the law... but the FOPA is flat-out clear as a bell. Comply with it, and if they hassle you or arrest you for violating a state law, you have massive recourse in Federal court.

Anyway, as far as long guns, you can ship them to yourself without going through a FFL dealer.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm (broken link)

Quote:
(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]
Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

(B10) May a person who is relocating out of State move firearms with other household goods? [Back]
Yes. A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her State of residence.
Certain NFA firearms must have prior approval from the Bureau of ATF before they may be moved interstate. The person must notify the mover that firearms are being transported. He or she should also check State and local laws where relocating to ensure that movement of firearms into the new State does not violate any State law or local ordinance.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.28 and 478.31]
For future reference, don't ever ask 'gun law specific' stuff on any website that isn't firearms oriented. Every swinging dick with a deer rifle in the closet or a pistol in the dresser drawer thinks he's qualified to comment on "gun laws" when, by in large, they're just as clueless as anyone. At least on gun specific forums, the ignorant types are far less likely to opine, since there are truly knowledgeable people ton those sites who will point out that the blowhards don't know what they're talking about.

Last edited by PokerPlayer1; 10-30-2008 at 07:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues