Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:22 PM

199 posts, read 711,325 times

Advertisements

Moved from OC in SoCal last year to Western PA, small town. DIL's mom and aunt came to visit us two weeks ago, and are planning on moving here in two years when they retire, so is her sister and her two kids when she finishes nursing school. I would love for my kids (any of my three girls, my son and his family moved with me). They agree it is a different life here, housing is cheaper, people are more down to earth and they were blown away by the fall colors. My girls would die if they were this far away from a major and I mean major city/mall. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 04:26 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,562,198 times
Heck, our whole family ended up moving until we were all close again, one by one, over the years until we were all back together again.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:47 PM

9,471 posts, read 9,340,792 times
Default We Moved to be Near the Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebytheseashore View Post
My dear friend in Ohio left her home in New Jersy to follow her children. She gave up everything to be with them and the kids ended up all moving on with their lives and moving out of state. She said that she preferred NJ and wish that she had never left.
We moved from FL to ATL to be near our daughter and our grandkids. However, now they will be leaving ATL in about a year. So we will either follow them, or go somewhere warmer. We told them that we'd go with them if they didn't move too far north. But it's a tossup. It's sad, because we've gotten very close to the grandkids. But I just can't see us living somewhere with lots of snow and a long, long winter. Too hard as you get older. But where to go.....?

Old 10-28-2008, 08:53 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,424,519 times
We'd love it if our parents moved closer to us and we'd move closer to them if we could. My mom could retire anytime she wanted, but she'd never leave my grandmother behind in Florida. And, I wouldn't want her to. My MIL would like to, but my FIL is still working at a job he just loves, and so he won't be retiring soon.

But, my mother is also right in her belief that we'll never stay in one place long-term. Good thing my husband and mom rack up lots and lots of air miles.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:15 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,136,279 times
awesome!! It's customary in other countries for families to stay together. Lovely idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjames View Post
Yes, but mine moved in with us. When my wife and I first discussed moving to another state with my parents we told them we wanted them to come with us and live with us (they are both in their mid to late 70's). We made sure we bought a house large enough to give everyone their own space. It is very important to me that my daughter has a close relationship with her grandparents!

Old 10-31-2008, 04:02 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,016,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
if true; that is very sad.
I don't see why . Sometimes family members are so intrinsically different from one another it's best to visit rather than live close to one another.

My family members are rock-bound conservatives; believe that if you aren't for unions you aren't American; threw up their hands in horror at my stated position to vote for Obama. Living 1000 miles away, our limited visits are respectful and enjoyable. If I lived close, we'd be arguing all the time

Old 11-05-2008, 05:38 PM

596 posts, read 888,222 times
My parents followed my sister to OC Cal after she moved there. They visited her for a one week vacation and decided to move there. If you want your parents to follow you, invite them for a visit and SELL it to them. Tell them how much you love it and how welcome they would be. It can't hurt!

Old 11-06-2008, 01:53 PM

28,896 posts, read 54,034,514 times
I think the OP has some serious dependency issues. I'm really not trying to flip here. But this is the third or fourth thread centered about the withdrawal syndrome you're experiencing because you now live 2000 miles from your parents. Could it be possible that your folks have been a suffocating influence in the life of your marriage? It may very well be that your husband is breathing a sigh of relief that his in-laws aren't showing up on his doorstep every day.

I live several miles from my mother, whom I love. But my mother and her boyfriend are so busy having a great life together, that we see them maybe every three months. And, guess what? I don't resent her for all the fun the two are having together.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:08 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,235,619 times
My husband and I moved not out of state but across the state. (about 7 hours away~Texas is a large state) My mother did move here about 9 months later when her house sold. The time I spent away from her, though, was good for me to establish some independence.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:28 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,560,922 times
We just moved to Florida 2 months ago. My sister has been down here a couple of yrs but on the other side.
My Mom is already making plans to move down next year. And we're trying to put the idea in my brother-in-laws head too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues