U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-03-2008, 10:38 AM

73 posts, read 211,918 times

Advertisements

Ok, here's my deal- Just moved into a rental townhouse, no washer/dryer, but has a hookup. I do have a pickup truck. Looking to get something used, local, ala Craigslist. Once I get it, how do I properly move it? Any help and advice for me and anyone who might be moving is appreciated
Thanks!

My thoughts: Buy a handtruck and those ramps for atv's/motorcycle to get it into the truck. Once I get it home, just struggle to get it down through the kitchen and down the stairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 11:04 AM

1,492 posts, read 4,624,823 times
Handtruck is awesome....but if you don't have one use a broom. No kidding! Learned that trick in the military.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:40 AM

6,978 posts, read 16,628,511 times
You may be able to rent a heavy duty hand truck. Check that out before buying. They would come with a belt sort of arrangement that allow the washer to be tied to the hand truck body.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:29 PM

2,901 posts, read 6,715,210 times
You have a few options.

First, many times I find it easier to move a dryer by hand using two people. They are much lighter.

You can use a hand truck, but you would be better off renting for one day an Appliance Dolly.....a heaver duty hand truck with straps. Should be less then $20 for the day....sometimes less. You need the straps to hold the appliance ON the hand truck.

Getting a strapless hand truck down basement steps with the washer bobbing all around is not fun. Use an appliance dolly.

If you were not going down steps, I recommend moving straps, where you do not hurt your back. The straps go under the appliance , bookcase, etc, and have handles for your wrists, giving you much more lifting power without hurting your back.

hand trucks are too skinny to hold a washer or dryer securely.

You didn't ask, but clean out the dryer vent FIRST, and make sure it is not a cheap plastic one........also, replace the washer hoses also, preferably with the steel mesh type instead of the cheaper rubber ones.

Frank D.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:30 AM

1,219 posts, read 2,761,343 times
The U-Haul dealers usually rent the appliance dollies.

As for the ramps-if you have a couple STRONG folks helping, you can probably lift the appliances into the bed of the truck.

Be aware that a front-loading washer is insanely heavier than the regular top-loaders. My dh, ds and I saw our lives flash before our eyes, lugging that thing up the basement stairs in our old house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues