U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 11:30 AM

48 posts, read 169,950 times

Advertisements

Hello, all--I've always been a U-Haul kinda girl, but now I'm moving my grandmother in with me and that's not going to work. I've got quotes from 3 companies but don't understand anything they're saying. Any thoughts?

Mover 1 estimates 4600 lbs, $2300; if more weight, pay more; if less, pay less, but minimum of 4200 lbs.

Mover 2 estimates 5000 lbs, $2400; if 6400 lbs, $2789

Mover 3 estimates 6370 lbs, $2365 (bound estimate is $3000; included a bunch of "extras" in initial quote of 3k); if less weight, reimbursed $12 for every 100 lbs they're off.

And what's this "valuation" business? How does that work and what am I looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 11:46 AM

973 posts, read 2,965,382 times
An option you can try is to rent the U-haul or Penske truck then hire pro movers and pay them by the hour.

I hired a couple of guys to load and unload the truck I rented and they charged like that. It worked okay but I had to pack everything myself.

As to your original question, it sounds like some big differences in the weights evaluation for the stuff to be moved. I'd request another estimate. Consider Two Men & a Truck. They did a great job for me.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:59 AM

48 posts, read 169,950 times
Thanks, Giz--we're doing all the packing, but we're moving my grandmother from a city 200 miles away' the other thing is I don't know if a 26' foot truck (largest and only from UHaul) would be adequate. It may, or it may not, and if it's not, we're screwed. Also, we're trying to do this about the 28th, and I know that's around a holiday for a lot of people.

And I did check Two Men & a Truck since I'd heard good things about them--according to their website, there are no locations to serve the area my grandmother's in.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:02 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,476,909 times
If you don't know what you're doing, then you need a pro to guide you.
There are five companies in the U.S. with long -- over 50 years -- and excellent histories of honest, competent service.

They are: Allied, Atlas, Mayflower, North American, and United Van Lines (they all have "Van Lines" in their names). These are the undisputed leaders in the field. They are licensed, bonded, have histories with the Better Business Bureau (which you can check) and with your state's Department of Transportation (which you can check).

They will cost a bit more than small, local, far less experienced companies because you get what you pay for. I have moved many times, have always done my own packing and unpacking, and have always used one of those five companies -- because every year for decades there are horror stories on shows like 20/20 and Dateline about companies unaffiliated with the big five charging astronomical amounts of money, destroying possessions due to terrible handling, and requiring to be paid up front and then taking off with the possessions, which the owner never sees again.

You get what you pay for. The big five provide total service, including teaching you enough to understand what you're doing. They have excellent reputations to uphold, so your move matters to them. I have never understood the math or algebra of moving, and I don't care -- because the big five come to my home and do the estimate well, take good care of my possessions and of me, keep their word, and make the whole thing happen pretty seamlessly. I wish you a great move!

Old 11-11-2008, 02:40 PM

4,209 posts, read 12,508,090 times
Wow - big differences in weight estimates and prices between the first two movers and the third. I'd be leery of Mover 3 -- yes, they have the lowest per pound cost (about .37, with the other two at .50 and .48 respectively), but that reimbursement thing if they over-estimate the weight is odd -- does that mean they expect you to prepay the $3,000 and then make an adjustment after the truck has been weighed? Right off the top I can see that the reimbursement of $12/100 lbs is giving you back less than half of what you overpaid ($37/100 lbs).

If you're going the pro route, allforcats has given great advice.

If you want to consider U-Hauling, I think you might be close to filling it or it might just work. Hard to say. 26' trucks can generally haul between 6000 and 7000 lbs, but it's the cubic feet of space that might be an issue -- depends if your grandmother has lots of boxes or lots of bulky furniture.
U-Haul: Moving equipment guide: Moving trucks, cargo trailers, utility trailers, vehicle trailers

To answer your question about "valuation", what's probably meant is regarding the value of the goods for insurance purposes. Each company has a per pound fee for insurance against breakage. It's usually a small amount and sometimes is included in the price for the move. My experience with the large national movers is that they offer additional insurance for purchase. For example, a 10 pound box of kitchen glasses and a 10 pound box of antique dishes would weigh the same and be insured the same by the company (a bare minimum) but obviously have quite a different value. So, we were given the option to go through the house with the estimator and give certain things a higher value.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:55 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,411,822 times
Your third estimate is known as a "binding estimate" which means, it is one flat weight, if it goes over that weight you still pay the initial price and no more, if it goes under you get reimbursed. It depends on where your moving to. And you have to watch, ask up front if there is going to be extra charges for "stairs" meaning if they have to go up and down stairs, and long carries, which means if between the front door and the truck has to park is more than 120 feet. Plus, were these phone estimates or did they actually come out and estimate? If it has to be shuttled which means, if they cant get a semi truck back to the home there will be an extra charge with some companies. Which if you go with the binding estimate that all is included in that price. there shouldnt be any hidden cost. also, find out the ratings of the driver coming out to do the job. one is the best the higher the number the more claims (damages) they have had. When the helpers come out, they dont have ratings, if its a good driver, they will keep on top of the helpers. How do i know all this? My husband and i use own our own semi and drove for a big moving company. and we have friends still doing it which have done it for over 20 years. if you have anymore questions, please let me know.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:57 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,411,822 times
Also, if you decide to have a big company pack for you, and you want to save money, ask for them to use used boxes.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:12 AM

31 posts, read 281,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisat View Post
Hello, all--I've always been a U-Haul kinda girl, but now I'm moving my grandmother in with me and that's not going to work. I've got quotes from 3 companies but don't understand anything they're saying. Any thoughts?

Mover 1 estimates 4600 lbs, $2300; if more weight, pay more; if less, pay less, but minimum of 4200 lbs.

Mover 2 estimates 5000 lbs, $2400; if 6400 lbs, $2789

Mover 3 estimates 6370 lbs, $2365 (bound estimate is $3000; included a bunch of "extras" in initial quote of 3k); if less weight, reimbursed $12 for every 100 lbs they're off.

And what's this "valuation" business? How does that work and what am I looking for?
That depend on many factors like the moving distance and additional services. Below i am giving you some tips
Do not Plan to move in a peak season.The total cost of your move may be increased if you want additional or special services. only look for reputable movers.

I can recommend you a moving company named Box which i have used. They are very reputable in this regard and you can also gets some prier moving estimations on that site.Let's hope they work in you are

Old 03-28-2012, 08:35 AM

15,008 posts, read 18,840,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonSmith View Post
That depend on many factors like the moving distance and additional services. Below i am giving you some tips
Do not Plan to move in a peak season.The total cost of your move may be increased if you want additional or special services. only look for reputable movers.

I can recommend you a moving company named Box which i have used. They are very reputable in this regard and you can also gets some prier moving estimations on that site.Let's hope they work in you are
Just to save someone else the trouble, the company in the referral link is out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues