Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How old were you when you moved out?
16-17 53 20.70%
18-19 97 37.89%
20-21 28 10.94%
22-23 28 10.94%
24-25 9 3.52%
26-27 11 4.30%
28-29 3 1.17%
30+ 3 1.17%
Still living at home 24 9.38%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 08:20 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times

Advertisements

Left for college at 18, haven't lived back since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 07:46 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,199 times
I moved out when I was 18 to go away to college.

I moved back in at 27 and stayed for three years to go to graduate school and pay back my student loans. During those 3 years that I was back at home, I worked part time and attended school full time for a year-and-a-half. I worked full time for another year-and-a-half to get out of debt and build up a savings. I paid my parents a minimal rent. If I hadn't had that break, it would have taken many, many years to do what I did in 3 years.

I finally moved out for good at 30.

Last edited by Pivot Point; 12-09-2008 at 08:08 AM..

Old 12-09-2008, 07:56 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,582,237 times
Well if boarding school counts I left my folks house since I was 14.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:46 AM

617 posts, read 2,072,759 times
Got my own apartment at 21. Should have stayed home and saved my money but I wanted to be on my own. Now I'm 50 and I'm ready to go get my own apartment again but I'm afraid my kids would find me.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:13 PM

612 posts, read 1,843,357 times
At first, I wanted to move right after high school at 18 but I did not have a job because I was involved in 3 varsity sports year long. I decided I would move down to my father's (lived with my custodial aunt). I moved down and got a job but it was a lousy pay ($6 starting). I decided to go ahead and take classes at the nearest C.C. and that was all paid for because of my rare kidney disease. I quit that job in Sept. because I seriously hated it and the drive to school was not fun.

I then moved to my mother's about 40 minutes North of my dad's and continued going to school which was now 30 more minutes but found a job that was 5 minutes from school and that paid a few dollars more. I felt that if I stayed with this job for a few months I'd have enough saved up. I did have enough saved up but then I got sick in December and had to pay for my bills.

Fast forward to June of this year, I finally moved out into an apartment with a buddy of mine. Two weeks prior to moving in I got pulled over for supposedly running a stop sign and got caught for no insurance and had to pay a $500 fine which was going to go towards my first months rent. I still was able to move in but I did not have enough to get all the necessities that I needed.

Early August, I again became sick and missed work for a whole month and unfortunately moved out. My roommate said he had things covered and that his sister was going to move in to help but now he keeps harrassing me to pay rent even though I don't live there anymore.

After, I moved out, I moved back into my mother's now down south to the same city as my dad. I was told to take a medical leave.

I returned to work in October but my health has not been the same. Two weeks ago I became seriously ill and was hospitalized once again after nearly dying. I have returned to work but my back is still recovering after a spinal tap.

Right now, I intend to go back to work and work part-time. In January, I'm debating whether or not to continue school or take another break and work full-time. I do plan on either getting my own place next summer or waiting until I get my Associates in Business to get another place. As for a roommate, I'm not too sure about it.

So, in all, I got my own place at 19 but didn't work out. If you were to ask the majority of my friends who do not live on campuses most of them still live up until their younger 20's. My area however has seen a recent growth in older teens and younger 20s having kids.

Average cost of an apartment in Overland Park, KS (an upperclass area):
1BR: $600-750
2BR: $750-900
3BR: $850-1100
Townhown Apartments: $750-1500

Not too bad but it is expensive to live on your own but cheap enough to live with a roommate or partner.

I'd say you're moving at a pretty average age. Good luck with it and make sure you research and know what you're signing.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:00 PM

261 posts, read 954,539 times
I moved out at 21/22 and that was for about 4 months. Moved back in, stayed for 3 yrs. Moved out to Overland Park, KS (back in 1995), then moved home after about 4 months. Moved out 1 month later and stayed out for 5 yrs. Ex moved in with me and we split rent. His mother told him to move home, he did, I had to move out as I couldn't afford rent. Moved home. Stayed at home until 1999 when I went into the ANG and haven't been back since! In process of owning our 2nd home (married in 2000).

21/22 is a good age, but just make sure that this is something that you are financially ready to do, as well as emotionally. It's a big responsibility to move and pay bills and work too.

Good Luck. BTW, I have never regretted moving out each time that I have done it. It was a great learning experience. I just wouldn't have moved in with the boyfriend at the time.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:12 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
I was barely 17 when I graduated from high school and there were no colleges near our town so I had to move "off the hill" down to the valley to attend college at 17. Never moved back home. It was just what had to be done if we were to go to college!

Old 12-12-2008, 06:13 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,324 times
Moved out at 17, but I've been pretty much financially independent since 15/16.

In the two years I've been out of the house I've gotten married, was a chef in a beach town, met amazing people, lived off ramen noodles, slept in cars because we couldn't afford hotels, and now I'm technically below the poverty line with a good few student loans and better credit than my parents. Two dogs, two cats, and a host of extended friends I view like family.

Wouldn't change it for the world. Money and security didn't make me happy, freedom did. I could work more, but I don't want to. I could be more secure, but I like change. I hate that I'm stuck here three more years for college, but life is great right now. Can't say the same for many people who stuck around with mom and dad. I can balance a checkbook, file a lawsuit, repair drywall and cabinetry (love my dogs), decorate a house, cook a fine meal, speak a good bit of spanish, lift things half my weight, and even sort my laundry!

You can save money, sure. But man, there's not a price you can put on a big fat dose of reality.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:20 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,583,894 times
I moved out at 21.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:22 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,769,343 times
Parents moved me out at 18. Their idea not mine. They paid 1st. month rent and said see ya! I did not understand why cause just graduated and had full time job and wanted to save money and have a break but guess not.

I was never taught about bills and what I needed to do in general so it was quite a struggle. Problem is my 3 brothers were given every opportunity including financial help and advice and they are doing real well and I'm struggling still 31 yrs. later. Guess life is not fair, oh well..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues