U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 09:37 PM

55 posts, read 207,241 times

Advertisements

We will be moving from MA to NC in 6 weeks.
I need some input on reputable long distance movers.
I've heard lots of horror stories and I want to be sure that we hire the right moving company.

Thanks for your input!

Len in MA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2006, 06:34 AM

527 posts, read 1,229,196 times
Len,

We priced several movers and they were all over the board to move our 4 bedroom house. Anywhere from $5k to $12k. We have some decent stuff but I'd have to guess and say that no single furniture item we own is worth more than a couple hundred $$. Some stuff will cost more to move than it's worth.

Checkout movingscam com for some good reviews. We found some great pricing from internet based movers but ends up that some of the places are really shady and a lot of people have been ripped off.

We ended up using emove to hire crews for here and there to load/unload the truck and then got a truck from u-pack. There's lots of good reviews about this process but we'll see what our experience ends up being. I guess the key to minimize damage is all in correctly packing and protecting your stuff.

What's really amazing is that we started packing stuff 2 months or so ago, about 50 boxes worth of stuff so far, and with the exception of the electric griddle and crockpot, we have needed nothing that we've packed away. I hate the thought of unpacking it only to find a place to store it. We also filled a 10 yd dumpster with crap that would have otherwise been packed and cost extra to move. Also check out epinions for other mover reviews.
Best of luck,

Mark

Old 06-13-2006, 09:49 AM

217 posts, read 581,985 times
Broadway express is very good. I know alot of people that used them (including family). They will bring a trailer to your house and leave in there so you can pack it up. Then they will drive it to your new location (house/apt/storage unit/etc.) and you unload it. Some of the drivers you can pay to help you load (advice is free and they usually give good advice). Or as the previous poster stated you can hire a couple guys to help you come and pack the truck.

Movingscam is a great reference too!

Old 06-13-2006, 09:58 AM

169 posts, read 391,208 times
We are using Broadway Express, based on the good reviews I recieved here. I called them, and they were great! And actually, when I priced them out and compared that to us renting a Penske truck, it will actually come out about the same. (We have enough cars to drive back, let them worry about the truck!)

Old 06-13-2006, 12:43 PM

694 posts, read 1,904,404 times
i'm using PODS because i needed a staging/storage/moving combo. so far it has worked well i have no complaints.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:17 PM

483 posts, read 1,111,696 times
Default Using PODS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener
i'm using PODS because i needed a staging/storage/moving combo. so far it has worked well i have no complaints.
Could you tell me what the purpose of using PODS is? I've seen houses in my area that are under contract and they have PODS sitting in their driveway. If someone is not prepared to move yet, then what would the purpose be to have PODS instead of having a moving company? I'm confused so I thought I'd ask.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:53 PM

99 posts, read 319,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lend27
I've heard lots of horror stories and I want to be sure that we hire the right moving company.

Thanks for your input!

Len in MA
We moved from Southern California to Tega Cay, SC about 3 months ago and used a long distance moving company. Like you, I was very apprehensive about moving companies, having also heard all the horror stories. The movingscam website is a must-read!! It's full of GREAT info, & really eased my mind. Be sure you check any recommendation you get for moving companies against the "Black List" on the website.

We ended up using a local United Van Lines company. They were friendly, caring, conscientious, and answered every question I had. United's corporate office was just as nice when I had to communicate with them.

Be aware that moving companies will charge you by the pound, so, as Markh said, get rid of much stuff as you can beforehand! They will also charge you extra for moving a piano, organ, grandfather clock, etc., and to make a run to your storage unit. Just make sure you show them EVERYTHING you want moved when they come for the estimate so you don't get surprised with the final bill after the move!

Good luck on your move!

Old 06-13-2006, 08:11 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,957,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43
Could you tell me what the purpose of using PODS is? I've seen houses in my area that are under contract and they have PODS sitting in their driveway. If someone is not prepared to move yet, then what would the purpose be to have PODS instead of having a moving company? I'm confused so I thought I'd ask.
PODS are both a moving and storage unit. The PODS are rented monthly and loaded and unloaded by you. Some people will load up a POD to remove items/clutter to stage the house for selling. Some are using them to move their stuff to the PODS storage facility near where they are moving, while they look for a home, then the POD will be delivered once they get their home. This way you only load and unload once.

Old 06-13-2006, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 18,172 times
I moved from NY to Mooresville and used Verity movers. They did a great job, got everything in on time and it only cost me 2700.00. I dont know if they are available in Ma. but it might be worth looking into.Good luck

Old 06-13-2006, 09:12 PM

3,728 posts, read 10,859,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lend27

Thanks for your input!

Len in MA
I moved from Cape Cod to Florida, I had Rainbow movers in Barnstable.

My first move, they were great, they also do have other locations. in MA

judy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues