U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:02 AM

489 posts, read 1,857,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzeegirl View Post
I am a degreed professional - never thought I would have a problem with over 20 years in one field - did research before I moved - cannot believe this market - horrible - good luck with temp agencies - they don't call.....

I am in the same boat in Ft. Myers. Did all kinds of research, looking at employment ads online for several months, and talking with people who were employed here. There didn't appear to be any problems, but once here, I found that the job market is not as good as it looks on paper - unless you can afford to work at a job where the main requirement is knowing how to say "Do you want fries with that?" with a smile. Even then, they won't hire me because they look at my background and feel sure that I will not stay with them. I'm pretty sure that the only people who can get one of these jobs is someone very young (high school or college student) or retired. Then I've actually had emails or calls from employers in response to resumes, and when I respond to them, I have had to leave messages and then got no return calls. Temp agencies are unpredictable, and oftentimes, what I have learned here anyways is that the jobs that are available are the ones no one wants, and if you turn down even one job when working with an agency, the recruiter is so ticked off that they missed out on commission, that they never send you back out again. The icing on the cake is hearing all of these kinds of stories from others who moved here. Wish someone could have told me the horror stories BEFORE I arrived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 07:48 AM

6,047 posts, read 21,611,659 times
Bit of good news... My husband and I are relocating in late July or August. We do not have jobs lined up. We mailed apartment applications to 3 different places, and we were worried we might not get approved for any because of the job situation. Our second choice called yesterday, said everything was approved and asked if we'd like an apartment available June 23rd. We had to turn it down, June is a little too soon for us, but we were so relieved to be approved for at least one of the places.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:36 AM

911 posts, read 3,245,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
To answer your questions ----- You are correct in asking what happens if you have a good FT job, and 2 months later you lose the job. That has happened. Or, I rent to a "family" and they later transfer or get divorced and the remaining spouse cannot afford to stay. We can't predict the future.

That saying, yes I would consider signing a lease with 6 months or 12 months rent up-front, if they were a strong applicant and had a good experienced work background.

It depends on the current vacancy factor -- one thing I refrain from doing is renting to the "best of the worst".

We don't like high turnovers - we lose rent, spend money on advertising, time and prepping a unit for re-rent. So, yes, we hope to have a long-term tenant.

Once in a while you have to make a judgment call .........

Paula
This is soooo funny in a sick kind of way...lol

When I moved once they were builing my home...So I had to rent for a while.
I looked at the application and told the Manager:
"There must be some mistake, I don't want to buy the entire Complex"...

I openned my briefcase for a second $$$ and showed her my checking balance(pocket change for me) and she said,"You can have any unit you like"...

The whole deal is very Demeaning and De-humanizing...

Old 03-25-2007, 09:38 AM

14,505 posts, read 23,730,473 times
Thumbs up true~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I moved without a job halfway across the country, but I had substantial savings and was able to buy a new house with cash (so no qualifying needed) and no job was immediately required to live on.
Thursday I go in for my first job interview since 2001! I just finished updating my resume.
When they ask me what I did between June of 2005 and now, I sure can't say I walked around in my underwear all day! I'll think of something more glamorous
If you have cash- landlords (some) wont require a job. I rented on Bay Harbor Island (Miami) but had just sold my property in NY. That's mostly what they care about-not HOW you pay, but IF you can pay!

sunny

Old 04-20-2007, 04:24 PM

29 posts, read 153,298 times
Default Scared and encouraged

Thanks for all the info and everyone who contributed (Hi MoMark!)

I am crunching the numbers to move without a job as we speak (back to the Denver area).

I will try sending out resumes and see if I can get even a phone interview but not before I have enough cash in the bank to A. afford the moving costs and B. afford to pay at very least 3 month rent in my price range.

I have relocated semi-long distance (that means without being able to see the apartment before I actually moved in) so I am not too terribly worried about that part. But when I did it here in state, I already had a job lined up and it was only from the bay area to Sacramento. I couldn't look ahead because the job gave me only about 2 weeks to move and I had no car.

So scarred, yes. This will be my first "big" move on my own. And I am over 40 so I have - what shall we call it, responsible adult fear? lol
Getting out of California - I get that Christmas morning feeling everything I think about it. That is extremely motivating.

Hope everyone will keep posting new insights into this!

Old 04-20-2008, 02:53 PM

195 posts, read 378,594 times
I have family in California. I plan on renting an apartment with my cousin. She already lives out in California. My question is since she has a job, and I will get one when I move out there, would we still be able to rent a place with only one of us having a job at the time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or