U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 05:50 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,187,702 times

Advertisements

We moved from Michigan to North Carolina in July. Can't say that we are happy here. We have kids here with us and 3 older kids in Michigan. In Oct we just said that we can't be here at Christmas we need to go home. So with the gas prices lower we are. I can get by all the other important times of the year but not Christmas. I think we all wake every morning just counting the days until we leave. I'm not sure it will make it worse to go home and return it might. It is funny before we left we had this party to say good bye and that was nice. What I want to do more than anything is just see things. I want to stand at my Mom's grave and go to our church. I want to know where I'm going and to go into a store and see a face I know. I'm sick of being the outsider looking in. We left Michigan for work and it was the adult thing to do the right thing. But our hearts are still there with those we love. On one hand you need a home to live in and money to live on but we also need the people we love and the time we share with them. I know many people get what I';m saying. Just like the song from Brain Darc'y James I want a Michigan Christmas nothing can beat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 01:12 PM

43,858 posts, read 44,520,587 times
I think it is always hard to make the transition from a place you are used to - to a new place. Especially around the holidays. I moved to Orlando earlier this year and it just doesn't even feel like Christmas. We are even going to my parents FOR Christmas, but putting up the tree and decorating a new place felt odd. You get used to what goes on in your own neighborhood for holidays....and there is a sadness when you know you'll not be a part of what you are used to.

I guess by next year both of us will be used to our new surroundings and maybe won't feel so displaced as we make new memories.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:21 PM

983 posts, read 4,089,570 times
I totally agree with OP. I have been alone in various states throughout the holidays. And it's kinda like you wait to see what friend or associates are gonna extend an invite but it's not the same as going HOME. I have always had jobs that required work on holidays and/or wknds. In most cases I prefer to just work the holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues