U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:47 AM

746 posts, read 1,875,499 times

Advertisements

I've never had that problem and I've used two professional movers and numerous U-hauls throughout the years. All of these moves were within WI and MN so that was probably why. Those pests can't survive the freezing temperatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 08:24 PM

21 posts, read 87,933 times
Any suggestions to keep the couch and mattress safe? That grosses me out, and I am going to be moving from Nv to MI next month...

Old 12-21-2008, 10:28 AM

4,521 posts, read 4,795,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterserv View Post
Approx. 47% of all moving vans are infested with Bed Bugs. If you are unfortunate enough to use one of them, then you WILL be infested too. Be aware!!
This apparently was from a survey done in the 1930's.

Bed Bug Lessons from the Past : Got bed bugs? Bedbugger.com
..."A 1930s survey of 3,000 moving vans in Sweden found bed bugs on 47 percent, foretelling big concerns for moving and storage companies today."...

Any recent data - that's not being conducting by exterminators?

Old 12-22-2008, 05:48 AM

5,633 posts, read 12,505,834 times
Recently saw a news article on the news about the large increase and infestation in bed bugs. They have been found in five star hotels, so there is no correlation between cleanliness and the bugs. They are transported in suitcases and on your clothing, so it isn't limited to moving vans. Most better moving companies will wrap your furniture in order to help prevent the spread.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:40 AM

424 posts, read 617,508 times
Ugh! What a horrible thought. We always check the beds in hotels, in the rim (seam) of the mattress, around the headboard, obviously on the bed itself. Have a very wealthy neighbor that stayed in a 5star and bought bedbugs home. Had to replace all their bedding. I believe I was bitten several times by bedbugs during one stay, but didn't bring any home. Hope never have to move again!

Old 12-22-2008, 07:43 AM

51,555 posts, read 12,361,179 times
Where my hubby works he was informed on Friday that the exterminator would be spraying all lockers because of bed bugs so he is not a happy man. He really doesn't like his job to begin with because of some other BS that goes on but this really put the icing on the cake and of course he has been looking for another job but as we all know jobs are scarce. I told him to make sure he shakes out his clothes/jacket before putting them on because bringing them home would make me nuts.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:09 PM

8,416 posts, read 33,710,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
Where my hubby works he was informed on Friday that the exterminator would be spraying all lockers because of bed bugs so he is not a happy man. He really doesn't like his job to begin with because of some other BS that goes on but this really put the icing on the cake and of course he has been looking for another job but as we all know jobs are scarce. I told him to make sure he shakes out his clothes/jacket before putting them on because bringing them home would make me nuts.
Oh man..I suggest you research the signs and get a bed bug mattress cover as a preventative. Tell him to put cedar blocks all through his locker and spritz off on his clothing (not skin)

Shaking doesn't always work. The eggs are sticky like lice eggs.
Wash everything as soon as he gets in the house and spray down his shoes wet with rubbing alcohol.(kills by drying up)

Old 12-23-2008, 01:27 PM

205 posts, read 711,149 times
Those mattress covers they sell for kids that wet the bed will keep the bugs from getting to your mattress. Also, food grade diatomaceous earth will kill them pretty quickly, and it's pet safe. My sister had moved into an apartment with bugs, and we learned the hard way how to get rid of them. Once you get them, they're not easy to get rid of.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:23 AM

635 posts, read 1,481,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I helped a girlfriend move a number of years ago. I think she used U-Haul. There were a number of boxes, some furniture, not too much, which she draped with old sheets and the like and some odds and ends. The last thing that she did before closing the door was set off some bug bombs. She'd had a problem with bugs in her apartment and said that she didn't want them moving into her new place with her.

She said that she'd learned that as a young woman working for a moving company. Sounds like a good idea to me.
Never thought of that ... very smart idea

Old 12-27-2008, 04:08 PM

56 posts, read 193,189 times
I know a pest control guy who combats bed bugs professionally. Since bed bugs do not have the ability to sweat and regulate their body temperature these guys take large heaters and essentially cook the bugs to death right in the bedroom. It takes a few hours but the results have always been positive.

Diatomaceous earth is also a good solution. It's great for keeping out other pests too like silverfish, roaches, ticks, fleas, etc., since the little diatoms effectively pierce the exoskeletons of the pests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues