U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:15 PM

499 posts, read 1,828,725 times
Complaints about movers infecting a customer's shipment with bedbugs are become more common but no studies have proven if motor carriers are responsible for rise in these outbreaks or if they just transported the problem from one location to another.

Check out my article, Moving and Bed Bugs, and watch a clip from Bed Bug Central TV for some helpful suggestions from an professional entomologist on how to minimize your risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 25,491 times
Considering the number of people who use U-Haul, even 1% would be a significant number.

We did rent a U-Haul recently - and we did inherited some unwanted guest... one adult bug to date - a few nymphs... nothing major and hopefully with preventive measures it won't come to the point of having to suffer economical losses : (

Given how inexpensive it is to rent a U-Haul versed buying/renting a pick-up truck - it stands to reason renting a U-Haul truck is likely the least expensive way of transporting infested furniture to the local disposal site... or elsewhere since waste disposal sites/landfills will also charge fees (and let's face facts, sadly we live in a day and age when many will put ethics aside - and common sense in not so common!) Goodwill, Salvation Army, or other charity of choice

Best advice I could offer from the lesson we learned – short of having an exterminator clean the unit you rent - spend the extra money and purchase plastic wrap/bags designed to move/store mattresses, sofas, and wrap anything with wood and cloth material. If you can get you hands on some, line the walls and floor with that plastic wrap used in semi truck-trailers. Perhaps old shower curtains.

DO NOT use the U-Haul blankets/furniture pads on bare furniture, mattresses, etc… and DO NOT leave clothing in the drawers! I would go so far as to line boxed with plastic wrap/large garbage bags, which may prevent water damage too : )

FYI - http://pestcontrolcanada.com/INSECTS/bedbugs.htm

BTW, our mattress - both new and expensive. Suggestions welcomed...

Regards

Last edited by pi2canada; 06-22-2010 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: minor typo...

Old 06-29-2010, 06:36 PM

93 posts, read 199,609 times
Another aid in the fight is the flea treatment used on dogs. When I lived in DC and had bedbugs, one of the ways I combated them was using K9 Advantix on my dogs (who the bed bugs also liked to chew on). There is a chemical in the K9 Advantix that wasn't in the other liquid flea treatments. It only works on dogs, though, but a once a month drop to help kill the bed bugs and eggs is worth the cost!

Old 06-30-2010, 06:10 PM

5,278 posts, read 5,444,472 times
Ohio has a big bedbug problem. I just heard on the radio a few weeks ago the State of Ohio asked the federal govt for some special dispensation to be able to use a specific federally regulated pesticide of some kind that they hope will help. They've shown up in schools, hotels, apt complex's, hotels. Cinncinnati has a 1-800 number for bedbugs.

I'm in an apt with all my other stuff in storage. I worry my stuff in storage may have picked something up but its unheated and there's no food source so maybe not.
My couch is shot! I need a new but like to buy something good, hate shopping and the decisions, prefer to buy quality that lasts - but - If I buy a 2,000+ couch and it gets infected? That is a lot of money to me. Not sure what to do here.
My Mom and Dad grew up in the pre/during WWII Soviet Union and bugs of all kinds were a problem. Bedbugs were big. My mom told me they can live forever without food. I read up on it and they can go dormant for 18 months without food? These guys put cockroaches to shame!
And as for heat - I dont think its as easy as the previous poster makes it out to be - the internal temperature of all your mattress, sofa, pillows, behind baseboards and lightswitch's would have to reach that heat and stay there. How do you get the middle of a mattress that hot?
I saw a movie star (Weeds) on David Letterman last year, she lives in NY and was saying that there were people looking at her apt to see if she had a bedbug problem and that if she did it they were going to pack up and take all her stuff to some huge freezer for 2 weeks and it was going to cost her 10's of thousands of dollars!
I am freaked by the idea of bedbugs, seems like a matter of time and then throw everything you own away!

Old 06-30-2010, 11:36 PM

59 posts, read 222,162 times
How hot does it get in moving vans? I know that parked cars can get over 120 degrees and that's more than enough to kill all stages of the bed bug. I'm not sure a truck container would get that hot but if so,=no worries. Try the car trick for small things like your luggage if you're ever in a pinch. You'll thank me. Hair dryer can work too but not as effectively.
Will using a hair dryer kill bed bugs? I'd rather use my car

Old 07-08-2010, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 25,491 times
Bugs like corrugated (cardboard) boxes - lots of tiny "tubes" to hide and breed in : )

Wal-Mart, dollar stores, and the like sell plastic totes that the bugs will not and can not hide in. In the unfortunate event you may have had the unfortunate experience with bugs of any kind, DO NOT keep corrugated boxes, plastic or cardboard, in your home.

Diatomaceous earth is a mineral that will kill fleas, etc... read up on it before you decide to use chemicals - to which many bugs have built up a resistance. Diatomaceaus earth is to insects what dragging your own body over a coral reef would be like (ooch!)

"Food grade" diatomaceous earth is for human consumption... read up on this mineral its health benefits for your own bodies!

Last edited by pi2canada; 07-08-2010 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: typos : )

Old 10-06-2010, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 13,277 times
Well I guess I will sell whatever or give alway everything that I can.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:50 PM

3,950 posts, read 1,856,106 times
Also the furniture store or mattress store trucks. I bought new mattresses about a year ago and they asked me if I wanted them to take my old mattress. So, I realized that if they are taking people's old mattresses then there is a chance that someone could've had bed bugs and those bed bugs are in that truck, getting on my new mattress. So, I told them that I was concerned about that and luckily, my new mattress was wrapped in plastic. I've had the mattress since then and thankfully no bed bugs. I got lucky.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:50 PM

450 posts, read 548,219 times
Hi - I've read all your posts and am still a bit confused - I know there is a lot of info out there and a number of suggestions. We're moving...very soon. We are shrink wrapping our couch and chairs...shrink wrapping the piano (after applying moving blankets)..doing the same with every wooden piece of furniture we own (NEW moving blankets ... then shrink wrapped). We are leaving nothing in the drawers. We have a combo of new rubber/plastic-type boxes with tight lids and completely new boxes. We have plastic coverings for the mattress and box-springs. Having said all that....what is the consensus with the moving van (Budget)? Spray or no spray? Wrap the walls and floor in shrink wrap or not? We'll take whatever time we need to take to do this right...I am just wondering what that is...spray or shrink wrap??

Thanks again-AJTucson.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:24 PM

499 posts, read 1,828,725 times
Realistically, shrink wrap won't do a thing to prevent a bed-bug infestation. The critters are small enough to slip between the folds of plastic to follow either a human or animal pheromones to their next blood meal. If you're going to use plastic to protect your household goods, it must completely encase each item being transported in well sealed, non-vented plastic bags.

If you're moving yourself and you don't currently have a bed-bug problem, then the only concern you have is contaminating your shipment with a bugs or larvae left in the truck or on the moving equipment that you rent.

If your rental agreement allows it, you can either fumigate the company's equipment by either applying Vikane (sulfuryl fluoride) gas (very expensive) or pesticides (potentially harmful) to the equipment before you undertake your move.

I doubt any rental company will allow you to apply heat to their equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues