Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:18 AM

10 posts, read 36,798 times

Advertisements

I live in Silver Spring Maryland, in a smaller town of burtonsville. I have lived here my whole life (25 now) and just bored of the same old ****. Same people going to the same bars ect... I am scared of leaving though because its so much easier knowing everyone and having long lasting connections to make money ect..... I have some money saved up and would love to tour the US and take off a year to see if buying a house in my hometown is the right thing to do. Im going to israel for 17 days in january and when I get back I feel like puting my motorcycle in my truck and just leaving...... I have friends and family in
North Carolina (ive heard its nice year round) never been
Atlanta Georgia
South Miami
Colorado and SoCal
Pretty much I just like being free and enjoy nice weather and doing things outdoors. Riding motorcycles, being on the water, snowboarding ect.... I feel like if Im gonna do this its now or never..... Obviously the ''safe'' thing for me to do is to keep working buy a house and just do what everyone else does work and have kids lol. Anyways whats your take on this

I have no debt, no kids, no serious relationship

Thanks for your input on this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 01:07 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
I got married in my 20's and moved from my home town. During that marriage, my parents also ended up moving to another part of the state. Then in my 40's I got a divorce.
I said all that to say this.....I always have this odd feeling that I have no "Home Town". I have no reason to go to the town where I grew up because it isn't much of a town....but to visit my parents does not feel like I'm really "going home" either.
So, I know what you mean about that sense of loss.

I'm not sure why we go through those feelings. I guess inherently as humans we long for a place we associate with what we perceive to be our home spot. If you do end up leaving home... keep in mind there is probably a lot of truth to "You can never go home again." Maybe once you leave it, it just never feels or is the same.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:25 PM

517 posts, read 1,964,246 times
Default Just Do It!

It sounds like this would be a great time to check out what you're dreaming of. You're young and have the time and $ to do this so... what's stopping you? The trip might change your life and if you don't go now you might regret it later and always wonder, what if?

You might not have this chance again when real life kicks in and you have a house, a family and all the responsibilities that go along with those. I must admit it is wonderful to have a home and family - but you just can't do those kinds of "crazy" or "spontaneous" things (at least on the level you're thinking). The next chance might be when you retire!

Even if you leave for a while what would be the reason you couldn't go home again? Maybe such a trip would confirm that your hometown really is the place for you to settle.... or maybe you'll discover the perfect new hometown. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:43 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,164,918 times
woooooooooooooohooooooo-sprout those wings that are waiting to soar and fly away to see the world. I left my hometown and have no plans to go back. I've lived all over the U.S. in the last few years. Be open to meeting new people and experiencing new things. It's great!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorider View Post
I live in Silver Spring Maryland, in a smaller town of burtonsville. I have lived here my whole life (25 now) and just bored of the same old ****. Same people going to the same bars ect... I am scared of leaving though because its so much easier knowing everyone and having long lasting connections to make money ect..... I have some money saved up and would love to tour the US and take off a year to see if buying a house in my hometown is the right thing to do. Im going to israel for 17 days in january and when I get back I feel like puting my motorcycle in my truck and just leaving...... I have friends and family in
Atlanta Georgia
South Miami
Colorado and SoCal
Pretty much I just like being free and enjoy nice weather and doing things outdoors. Riding motorcycles, being on the water, snowboarding ect.... I feel like if Im gonna do this its now or never..... Obviously the ''safe'' thing for me to do is to keep working buy a house and just do what everyone else does work and have kids lol. Anyways whats your take on this

Old 12-16-2008, 08:31 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,102,730 times
Motorider, you answered all your own questions! Your post shows that you believe your present choices are between freedom and contraction, creativity and conformity, eagerness and boredom, discovery and well-known.

So YOU are the only one who knows what you REALLY want your life to be. And you are the only one who ever shapes your life, now and always.

I wish you joy!

P.S. if you chooe to travel before May, stay south as mountain passes farther north may be impassable if the winter's weather is very cold, snowy, windy and icy as it often is, requiring extremely serious preplanning for emergency supplies and equipment, not to mention driving skills.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:01 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,826 times
I left the Midwest (where I was born and raised) when I was 20 and haven't returned, except for a few months at a time. I'm 32 now and have had a blast living in different cities and seeing the country. I say get out and see what the rest of the country has to offer NOW!! You won't regret, I promise. We have always rented apartments, and now that we have the chance to buy a house I'm not sure I want to - I would feel too tied down! Getting out and experiencing all kinds of things has been intoxicating to me. I have never felt that people HAVE to buy a house/settle down. But then again, I have never played by the rules.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:31 AM

378 posts, read 1,063,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorider View Post
Atlanta Georgia
South Miami
Colorado and SoCal

There's is no reason you should not just follow your heart. I would go and have all of those adventures. It will be fun and an invaluable learning experience for you regarding not just our world but self discovery as well. You never know who you will meet along the way as far as relationships go either. You may meet the one you are suppose to settle down with. You are so young (I'm almost 42) and who knows if you'll be able to do it again in the future. Many people are too afraid to embark on an adventure like this- they are afraid of the unknown. Do not be discouraged by others opinion on what you should or should not do. As far as being "safe", when was anything "safe" fun anyways. We only get to live once so you should go for it in my opinion.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:18 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
Do it and Don't Look Back. I dream of moving everyday. It's not that easy anymore. But, I keep hoping.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:15 AM

444 posts, read 799,416 times
Do it. Move and explore all that there is out there. I did it when I was young and have no regrets. I did, however, move back to near my hometown when I was ready to settle down and have my family. I'm still not sure exactly why. I think it was for my comfort level or something.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:27 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
Spread your wings and go see the world!! I grew up in a very rural, redneck county in west Tennessee. A county populated with people who never went anywhere thier whole lives. Not this boy! They were so oblivious to anything that was happening outside thier little world and i didnt want to be like that. And after experiencing life in other places, seeing how other cultures live and act, i realized that alot of what i thought about other people or had been taught about other people were flat out wrong. Gays and lesbians arent out to get ahold of little kids and recruit them. There are just as many hard working black people as there are white people. Jews dont have horns. Leave the south and guess what? They dont fry all thier food! I always knew that I would retire back here in Tennessee. Its affordable. But i have lived such a rich life and experienced so many things that the people I grew up with have never known. They remain secluded and ignorant. Go for it and have a blast!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues