Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 01:07 PM

4 posts, read 51,372 times

Advertisements

I am about to move from SC to Arizona I got a great quote from Budget Van Lines but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the company. They seem to be professional and I checked them on the BBB all seems fine, but i was wondering if anybody has first hand experience.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 23,209 times
They are actually pretty good from what I heard by people in my office. Check out the following link http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...van-lines.html

Old 12-15-2008, 09:36 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Having moved many, many times, I know the huge importance of a moving company that is bonded, insured, reputable, and driven by a long history of satisfactory business.

My goals are always to: 1) get all my stuff at the end of the line, with no ransoms to pay; and 2) get all my stuff at the end of the line, without anything destroyed or "disappeared". So I always choose one of the big 5 that have been in business for over 50 years with the Better Business Bureau and state Dept. of Transportation history to support their excellent reputations: Allied, Atlas, Mayflower, North American, and United. I believe they all have "Van Lines" in their names.

These threads might be useful to you. Have a great move with a reliable, trustworthy mover!
http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ro-movers.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...g-company.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...companies.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ps-advice.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...companies.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...rch-mover.html

Old 12-16-2008, 12:13 AM

2 posts, read 22,270 times
I would recommend Budget Van Lines! I was in a real jam-I had contracted with a carrier who called me the day before I was supposed to move to Los Angeles and told me that they weren’t going to be able to do the pickup. I called Budget and spoke with one of their reps-he was very detailed and thorough, and was able to find a carrier to do the job for me at the last minute at a price that was less than the one that I was quoted by the original mover! The movers they found for me were on time, professional, and experienced (one of them didn’t smell so great, but if that is the only thing I have to complain about I feel like I got lucky!). I would definitely use them again…

Old 01-15-2009, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 51,372 times
I wanted to thank you all for your feedback about Budget Van Lines. The move went smooth and I was very happy with the movers. I am finally settled here now and I love the weather here in Phoenix!!

Old 12-28-2009, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 18,708 times
They did nothing they promised and to beat all it was 2 guys in a uhaul! They damaged and stole merchandise, threats from the movers, abandoned someone's property at the pickup site, had someone else's property out in the rain unprotected while they loaded my possessions. What a basement operation and I don't mean that in a nice way! When I called for resolution I was totally blown off. Do not be fooled by their nice phone manners, they are the worst! I have used other movers and have never encountered anything as bad as this. Definitely a nightmare you should spare yourself. Fell free to email if you want the details.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:00 AM

521 posts, read 4,412,358 times
According their Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) registration, Budget Van Lines is a licensed household goods move broker (MC# 512534) based in New York with a mailing address in California. According to these records, Budget has no drivers or equipment approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation to handle any type of interstate relocation. You can find a copy of the company's FMCSA safety, insurance, and customer service record here.

Moves booked through these types of transportation brokers are basically farmed out to the lowest bidder regardless of a participating company's qualifications or background checks of the service providers actually contracted to handle the job. Brokers essentially have no dispatch or financial control on how a customer's shipment is handled.

Check out these professional tips on How to Find a Reputable Mover.

Last edited by RikkiTikki; 01-01-2010 at 11:10 AM..

Old 01-01-2010, 01:45 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinashe View Post
They did nothing they promised and to beat all it was 2 guys in a uhaul! They damaged and stole merchandise, threats from the movers, abandoned someone's property at the pickup site, had someone else's property out in the rain unprotected while they loaded my possessions. What a basement operation and I don't mean that in a nice way! When I called for resolution I was totally blown off. Do not be fooled by their nice phone manners, they are the worst! I have used other movers and have never encountered anything as bad as this. Definitely a nightmare you should spare yourself. Fell free to email if you want the details.

Little late with the "advice" there - the OP used them and already moved (happily) a year ago.

Gotta love these resurrected from the dead threads though

Old 04-29-2010, 05:56 PM

12 posts, read 62,771 times
Very bad. We were get a low ball quote and promised a now more than 10% price. But ends up paying much more. Be careful, when you were quoted, the lower the weight, the higher the unit price. So when they came and picked up your furniture, you would pay higher price! As soon as you paid the first deposit, you were gone!

Old 04-29-2010, 06:09 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Yes, go with the company that is insured and all but as far as the movers themselves are concerned, they're all about the same.

The supervisor or crew chief drives down to skid row and finds three or four guys who are sober, hands them a company T-shirt - and those are the guys who are moving your wife's underwear drawer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues