Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 11:07 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twheels View Post
I'll second that! We used a 26' truck with a car trailer behind it...I was def. big riggin it! I now have a whole new level of respect for the men and women who do it daily. After 5 days and 1500 miles, I was ready to be done! That could have had something to do with the nine month old sitting next to me the whole way, too!
Heck, driving a big rig is EASY when you don't have a nine month old sitting next to you! The only thing I worry about with rental trucks governed at 70 mph is that a steer tire blowout is a handful, even at lower speeds. Driving a large truck safely really does take an entirely different skill set than a car. Believe it or not, using the brakes should almost be a "last resort". Keeping plenty of space in front of you really helps with that. And when a blowout occurs, don't hit the brakes but maintain speed until the blown tire stabilizes, then ease your way over to the shoulder. (Slamming on the brakes as soon as you have a steer tire blowout will cause the front end of your truck to swerve in the direction of the blowout, increasing the chance of losing control and and having a "rollover" crash)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues