U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:09 AM

185 posts, read 364,097 times

Advertisements

I've done the CT to CA drive twice, and Missouri to Boston by myself. I stayed in Motel 6 each night, which was great...they have charts that show the mileage between various Motel 6's..makes it easy to plan. Biggest issue I had was the lack of radio stations in the middle of the country. (This was before the days of satellite radio) Booksm on tape are a great way to pass the time. You can get them from the library and mail them back at the other end.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 09:08 PM

445 posts, read 957,633 times
I did the drive alone. Well, with my Labrador, lol. The route I went, I traveled before, so I wasn't totally unfamiliar. I was limited with $$$ so my plan was to make it all the way through from OK to NC, which I did, thank you very much. However, I told myself, if I needed to stop, I could do so, with family friends in GA. I ended up driving straight through. I started out early in the morning in OK, cuz I wanted daylight hours for states where I knew interstate traffic would be heavier. I did my best to not drive at night, but lucky for me, there were no mountains involved, just flat land thank goodness. I enjoyed being on the road. Have plenty of good cd's to switch out, listen to local stations as you pass through different states, you start noticing the different dialects and that's kind of fun. Not to mention, the beautiful scenery, as you're driving. While driving alone, I didn't do the rest stop thing, but when I drove with sis and kids, we rested at truck stops, with other travelers, that drove by car, and it was pretty safe. But, like I said, I was with other people. If you get sleepy on the road, and don't have $$$ for a motel, then do the rest stop thing, just be careful.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:17 PM

445 posts, read 957,633 times
Forgot to mention, I snacked on almonds. I didn't want to fill up on too much food or beverages, while on my way to NC, cuz like I said, my goal was to drive straight through. However, when I left NC back to OK, I felt a little more familiar, although I took I40 going back. Of course traveling with a dog, you're gonna have to take more rest breaks, so this time, I allowed myself coffee, oh, and mountain dew, too! Also, washing your face in between times, helps to refresh you and give you a little pick up, once you get back on the road.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:02 PM

5 posts, read 7,572 times
I am driving from San Diego to Oregon with six cats that hate driving, their carriers, and one another. What do you suggest?

Old 11-12-2010, 01:31 PM

22 posts, read 93,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Hello all. It looks like my plans to move to Portland Oregon from New Jersey this summer are being delayed so I will, instead, be moving at the end of October. Thing is, I will be driving there...ALONE. Anyone have any experience with driving those long distances alone? Do you normally sleep in a hotel or just go to a rest stop and dooze in the car? ( I'm pretty short, so I can actually sleep well in the back of my car) How do you stay focused for that long on the rode?

I don't think I'll be driving at night at all...I'll get up at first light and get off the road at sundown. I will be in ABSOLUTELY NO HURRY, because there is still allot of this country I have not seen and this will give me a good oppurtunity to see it all.

Also...I will be driving from Jersey through PA, Indiana, northern Illinois (finally get to see Chicago!) Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, northern Utah (Salt Lake City) and up through Idaho around Boise...is there any chance, in, let's say the first few weeks of November, that I'll run into snow? I hate driving in snow! I mean, I HATE IT! I want to pull my car over and wait it out if I so much as see dandruff fall off my head. I'll go to California first and then turn north just to avoid it!

Any advice?
Unless you enjoy "Hate Radio" cause this is all you will hear on your travels on the AM Dial, I would bring a long an MP3 Player. Use discretion though, some States frown upon using such devices while driving. Using such device in remote areas I'd do so in a heart beat. Am planning on a trip this Spring and I will do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues