Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 08:46 AM

309 posts, read 1,026,010 times

Advertisements

I'm sure it varies slightly from company to company, but say generally? I'm fairly certain that it is a compensation, you pay, the reimberse, though some places probably just give you an allowance. That I'm not too worried about the details.

What I am wondering though is what is considered moving expenses? Movers, truck rental, etc right? What about deposits on apartments? Hotels rented on the 27+ hour drive? Gas? (car and/or truck)

What about if we use parents to help us move. We have two vechicles and if we rent a truck or have them drive a truck and then send them home on a one way flight? Can we count the flight costs as moving expenses?

Also, would it be ethical to have my parents bill us as movers and then use their own money to buy the plane tickets, rent hotel rooms, etc, in case those aren't covered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 09:22 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
I'll answer what I know within your quote based on my experience ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgtfc View Post
I'm sure it varies slightly from company to company, but say generally? I'm fairly certain that it is a compensation, you pay, the reimberse, though some places probably just give you an allowance. That I'm not too worried about the details.

What I am wondering though is what is considered moving expenses? Movers, truck rental, etc right? YES
Also, packing supplies such as boxes and tape; tolls paid along the way.
What about deposits on apartments? NO
Hotels rented on the 27+ hour drive? YES
Gas? (car and/or truck) YES
Meals and travel foods - No I don't think.

What about if we use parents to help us move. We have two vechicles and if we rent a truck or have them drive a truck and then send them home on a one way flight? Can we count the flight costs as moving expenses? I don't know about this, but I know you can consider the mileage on your personal vehicle(s) as a moving expense.

Also, would it be ethical to have my parents bill us as movers and then use their own money to buy the plane tickets, rent hotel rooms, etc, in case those aren't covered? No, I don't believe you can.
Just remember to get and keep all receipts for absolutely everything.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Call and ask;that the only way to get your answers.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:25 PM

71 posts, read 510,955 times
Default Relocation Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgtfc View Post

What I am wondering though is what is considered moving expenses? Movers, truck rental, etc right? What about deposits on apartments? Hotels rented on the 27+ hour drive? Gas? (car and/or truck)

What about if we use parents to help us move. We have two vechicles and if we rent a truck or have them drive a truck and then send them home on a one way flight? Can we count the flight costs as moving expenses?

Also, would it be ethical to have my parents bill us as movers and then use their own money to buy the plane tickets, rent hotel rooms, etc, in case those aren't covered?
Just to preface my remarks here, I am a corporate relocation consultant. This is exactly what I do with corporations. I help them write and implement policy if needed as well as provide relocation services nationwide. I know a little about this.

There are so many questions here....let me tell you what I know about it. It depends on the company. Each company has a relocation policy and you should be able to ask someone in HR or recruitment to provide that policy. It should answer all your questions.

If they are just giving you a lump sum to move, that is exactly what you get. They give you a sum of money and however you get there is up to you. If what you are asking is what they will reimburse you for, again it should be in their relo policy. Most companies will reimburse you for house-hunting trips (at least one anyway) for you and your spouse. They will pay for your traveling expenses like hotels, partial per-diem for food (you have to eat anyway so you don't get 100%), fuel, truck rental, moving labor. In my opinion it would not be ethical to send them a bill for your parents moving you because they are not professional movers. The one way plane tickets back for them would not be covered either.

Take it for what its worth.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:29 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Generally speaking, but definitely not always, a company's definition of moving expenses follows what the IRS defines as moving expenses. Certainly, as others have suggested, call your relocation rep in your company to ask specifics.

Quote:
I'll answer what I know within your quote based on my experience ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgtfc

What I am wondering though is what is considered moving expenses? Movers, truck rental, etc right? YES
Also, packing supplies such as boxes and tape; tolls paid along the way.
What about deposits on apartments? NO
Hotels rented on the 27+ hour drive? YES
Gas? (car and/or truck) YES
Meals and travel foods - No I don't think.

What about if we use parents to help us move. We have two vechicles and if we rent a truck or have them drive a truck and then send them home on a one way flight? Can we count the flight costs as moving expenses? I don't know about this, but I know you can consider the mileage on your personal vehicle(s) as a moving expense.

Also, would it be ethical to have my parents bill us as movers and then use their own money to buy the plane tickets, rent hotel rooms, etc, in case those aren't covered? No, I don't believe you can.

Just remember to get and keep all receipts for absolutely everything.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:53 PM

309 posts, read 1,026,010 times
My wife is currently in negotiations and is getting a detailed list of what is covered and not. It looks like they might 'ok' our expenses in flying my parents back. We will find out soon, but I wanted to thank everybody for the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues