U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:43 AM

21 posts, read 66,891 times

Advertisements

We've had our house packed up and in self-storage for a few months. Now we're getting ready to make the big move. I'm investigating DIY with a Penske truck, but wanted to hear opinions on these companies and any recommendations for companies (Movex is one I just found). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 03:20 PM

10 posts, read 44,334 times
For Moving Labor

emove.com
Hireahelper.com
Easy Moving Labor
Help America Move

For moving trucks check diffrent days of the week. Some companies like Uhaul have different prices depending if you pick up their truck on weekend vs weekday. Check back on the truck prices they vary depending how busy they are. You can walk into a truck rental center and haggle a little. I've done it many times. They're slow this time of year.

Other options
ABF Upack for containers or semi trailers
MoveX - They broker you with an independant trucker who may have multiple loads on his truck
Overnight Xpress - now rents a container.
PODS - Nice Containers but they can be expensive.

I'll post more if I think of them. I help people pack all types of trucks so thats how I know the options.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:12 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,472,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMS Paul View Post
For Moving Labor

emove.com
Hireahelper.com
Easy Moving Labor
Help America Move

For moving trucks check diffrent days of the week. Some companies like Uhaul have different prices depending if you pick up their truck on weekend vs weekday. Check back on the truck prices they vary depending how busy they are. You can walk into a truck rental center and haggle a little. I've done it many times. They're slow this time of year.

Other options
ABF Upack for containers or semi trailers
MoveX - They broker you with an independant trucker who may have multiple loads on his truck
Overnight Xpress - now rents a container.
PODS - Nice Containers but they can be expensive.

I'll post more if I think of them. I help people pack all types of trucks so thats how I know the options.
I got a quote from ABF about 1-1/2 years ago and at that time felt it was really a fair quote. They ask you the size of the house you are moving via number of bedrooms and they give you a quote based on the dimension/cubicle on what you would need for your move. It is not a door to door service but a terminal to terminal service. They have terminals all over the country. For example I would have to drive 50 miles to the terminal they have in another town close by. I do my pack up via rental u-haul . Once I get to my destination I drive 40 miles to the delivery point terminal again by using a u-haul rental. Sounds like a pain but the savings would be huge and if you are into saving money on a move this does make a lot of sense. Renting a u-haul locally is really cheap compared to taking it out of State.

Dave

Old 01-06-2009, 11:47 AM

769 posts, read 1,941,156 times
We used ABF "pods" when we moved two years ago. They dropped them off in front of our house in Cali and a week later they arrived in front of our apartment in North Carolina (you can pick your pick up and drop off dates, within a certain range). They also provide storage at their terminals (in the "pods"). We had two "pods", and it was cheaper than renting a U-Haul and driving it our selves, plus we didn't have to wrestle a "big" vehicle parking at hotels etc. One thing I discovered quite by accident - typically you have 48 hours each to load and then unload them, but if you have them drop them off on Friday morning they don't pick up on Sunday so you get an extra day to load/unload! For larger homes, you can rent a certain number of feet in a semi trailer - again, they'll drop it off at your place and pick it up if there's access.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:13 PM

983 posts, read 4,026,782 times
ABF does have door to door service. Just with their trailers you have to have a place for them to park it. And you have to make sure yr city doesn't have some kind of law/ordinance that limits them parking it. I used ABF cubes in Sept and it worked best for me since I had a small move. They dropped off 2 but I only used one so I paid $1130 vs $1460. There was no way I could have had a trailer dropped off since it was an apt complex. I used emove for mover help and those 2 guys were AWESOME. I paid $100 for 2 hrs since I chose someone that didn't have ratings yet.

I would say since yr stuff is in storage a trailer may not be a problem for them to drop off. And in some cases they can come back for it the same day after you load up. If not, def first thing next morning.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:26 PM

9,594 posts, read 9,427,321 times
For our cross country move we researched the container shippers and went with Penske. Prior experiences with U-Haul ruled them out. ALL estimates and capacities of both trucks and containers need to be taken with a grain of salt. In other words assume you will need 'more' truck or container, not less. Most container shippers will not come into NYC. That was our starting point. Even if we could have trucked our stuff to our secondary loading point in Hoboken, NJ it was still about the same price overall as using the truck for 11 days to get to Oregon. Fuel was quite expensive when we moved but we still do not regret the flexibility that driving ourselves offered. Doing it now with fuel prices what they are at present. Yowza! A no brainer. Go Penske or even Budget. U-Haul has been the market leader for so long they have gotten fat, lazy and overconfident in continued success.

H

Old 01-06-2009, 01:37 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,472,543 times
Curious about the ABF option. When I got the quote 1-1/2 years ago I must have missed the door to door service link via pods. Just checked out their website and it does mention pod service(either or). When they shot me a quote 1-1/2 years ago it was not for door to door but terminal to terminal and storage was also available as I recall for a fee. Really don't know why they didn't quote me a price for the Pod Service; Maybe its regional? That's my story and I'm sticking to it It was still considerably cheaper going this route versus a rental from the Big Rental Companies e.g. Budget, Penske, U-Haul.

Dave

Old 01-06-2009, 02:01 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,080,965 times
What you do depends upon money and how much labor you have available to you. DO NOT trust any moving company if you cannot fill a van. Forgeet Allied. They destroyed furniture and denied it.

We use U--Haul and have for many years. Ideally, I would hire a local company with smaller trucks if you don't have a six bedroom house. If you DYI, be sure to rent at least a dozen blankets. You'll need them to protect furniturer, appliances and paintings. If yu haven;t done this before put the heaviest to the back near the seats, the lighter in front and put the stuff you must unpack first at the tailgate as it will go into the house first.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:12 PM

302 posts, read 514,548 times
We used ABF and it was the one bright spot in a very stressful move. They did everything they said they would do and even kept our truck at their yard for 4 extra days without charging us extra. We moved when the gas prices were very high, I don't think we could have managed a drive it ourselves any cheaper.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:27 PM

10 posts, read 44,334 times
If you use the ABF trailer make sure you use plenty on blankets and pack boxes carefully. The trailers don't have the smootest ride. If packed correctly you'll be fine. The nice thing about the trailers are that the mark the walls every 2' so you know how much your using. When I pack one we go clear to the roof. Remember to rent the ramp when you do it. The rear gate is about chest high on the average person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or