Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 12:16 AM

113 posts, read 718,352 times

Advertisements

Also, if the 16ft is too big for you, post an ad on craigslist or something similar to move some stuff for someone else. It will help offset the cost for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 12:23 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,332,216 times
I'd pay double uhaul rates to get a penske instead.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:43 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,126,186 times
sooo totally agree! Please listen to those of us who have dealt with both. U-Haul is really bad! There is an entire web site devoted to the horrors of renting a U-Haul. I only did so for a VERY short move across town and holy cow dung batman--it was a friggen nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjoh View Post
Go down to the local Penske place, and ask about the carrier. You will be able to use it I'm sure. I get the feeling you are getting your info off the website. I came across the same issue, being lead to believe I couldn't tow with the Penske, but it turned out I was able to if I wanted. (I had made arrangements after I thought I couldn't) The little extra cash it may cost for the Penske is worth the peace of mind in my opinion. There is no reason why you couldn't tow with the Penske. Besides, towing on a carrier is easier than a dolly, and easier on the vehicle your towing also. Your not supposed to put things inside the vehicle on a carrier, you can with the light fragile stuff, but I definitely wouldn't with the vehicle on a dolly. Just gives you more "packing space"
The AAA discount is also worth the AAA membership. You keep it for at least a year after you have done the move, and it may come in handy for doing all the exploring you'll do in your new location.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:50 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,355,022 times
I spoke to Penske myself over the phone. They said the car is too low to the ground for their towing equipment. It is a bit low but I can;t believe it is untowable. It also was not a listed model on the website. I didn't talk to budget but the vehicle model is not listed there either. Uhaul is the only one who lists it.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:53 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,663,046 times
Avoid Uhaul at all costs. They will tell you anything to get your business. If you do go through Uhaul try to get a priest to ride along.
Good luck!

Old 01-02-2009, 06:07 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,126,186 times
LMAO@you. A priest to ride along!!! true, maybe that would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Avoid Uhaul at all costs. They will tell you anything to get your business. If you do go through Uhaul try to get a priest to ride along.
Good luck!

Old 01-03-2009, 07:49 AM

261 posts, read 952,272 times
Have you checked out Ryder? maybe they will offer something close to what you need? We just moved the week before Christmas, granted it was local, but the cost of getting the Ryder was half of what Uhaul was going to charge. The Ryder truck was newer and it had a lift gate, much easier to move all of our things. We needed it twice (first time thought we were moving but we didn't close on house until the following friday). We still paid for it, but it worked out in the end.

Check out Ryder and if that doesn't work, definately go Penske. uhaul rips you off

Old 01-03-2009, 09:35 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,001,433 times
Penske doesn't charge per mile either and has no drop off fees.

The price of diesel will be offset by getting better gas mileage. With a 16' truck running on unleaded, you may get 6 or 7 mpg. It will be close to double that with a diesel.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:00 AM

638 posts, read 1,914,268 times
We used Penske to move from Reno to Montana. The sad part is that there are not Penske dealers in Montana (closest is in Coeur D'Alene ID) and the guy that was going to take it there for us screwed us over so hubby had to take day off work and we had to drive there to drop it off.

It did get great gas mileage though. We had always used U-haul previously and never had issues w/them.

Sadly U-haul is our ONLY option for moving from Montana to AK in April. No other rentals have dealers there.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:25 PM

319 posts, read 1,908,010 times
I would ask to go in-person to the Penske place and try out your car on the trailer, just to be sure. If the car fits and it's not going to be a hazard, you could even rent it and say you're towing some other car...they don't require you to load the car when you pick up the truck. We actually towed a large vehicle that was over-size and over-weight on one of their trailers. No problems thankfully.

We had a great moving experience with Penske and I'd avoid U-Haul at all costs. People usually need a bigger truck than they ever estimate. Even if you end up not using the space, just be sure to tie down your stuff so it won't shift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues