U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:41 PM

26 posts, read 58,066 times

Advertisements

Forty years ago, a living wage meant one person working one job full-time to support a family.

Twenty years ago, two people working living wage jobs made the upper-middle class lifestyle more attainable.

Today, if two people are NOT working living wage jobs, normal middle-class comforts cannot be sustained.

Something is wrong here. Anyway, this is not meant to be a post about cost of living over time, but right now. I have to get back to living on one paycheck, paying for housing with one week's pay, and surviving through this depression by nose pressure on the grindstone. This formula is the only way I can see to return our budget to living below our means, regardless of the lifestyle crunch we feel to get there.

I am considering moving my family to one of several dirt-cheap locales, with rent on a house well under $800 per month, public transportation above-average and a well-defined business district or downtown. Areas that have been raised on CD for such conditions include Minneapolis, Dallas and Boise. Wages may be only average compared to the country, but must allow 80 hours of work to bring home $52k per year after all taxes. Yes, I am willing to work 80 hours per week to make this happen. No, sales jobs are not options since I have a family, and their expenses do not vary with performance.

The above bold phrase is the crux of the issue. Where is this possible? Names of cities, please, would be most helpful, along with any details you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 08:57 PM

61 posts, read 240,010 times
I want to send out my regrets to you. I am certainly feeling the crunch, along with many others. I hope the move helps you.

That said, I personally will suggest Oklahoma City. Voted #1 recession-proof city by Forbes and I think a home under $800/mo will be very easy to find.

How many bedrooms are you needing?

OKC's cost of living is still fairly low. It is growing fast and offers a lot of different opportunities, I think. The mindset here may be a lot more conservative than the coasts, but that may benefit you.

One downfall would probably be mass transit. We DO have metro buses, but they are not the best. I have never used our transit system, so I can't personally speak for how effecient it is or isn't, but I do hear a lot of complaints. If you can land a job before moving and can then choose a home based on that, it can cut your driving time majorly. OKC is big, but if you plan it right you can keep your driving expenses to a minimum.

Hmmm, not sure what else to add. Again, I hope the best for you and yours!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:19 PM

Thank you for your comments!

OKC sounds nice but landing a job prior to moving is usually not possible during hard times. Too much competition from locals. I would like to commute without a car, which will cut out $300 per month alone from the budget, even if I keep a car just for weekends.

A two-bedroom would be sufficient, with W/D and A/C in a place that 40-somethings could sleep without boomers roaming through the parking lots at night. What parts of OKC would you recommend for a bus commute downtown and for this type of housing?

Old 01-07-2009, 11:17 AM

4,097 posts, read 10,179,376 times
How far out from where you are now do you want to move?

We moved from LA, CA to Charlotte, NC 3.5 years ago. Charlotte now has a train that travels from south of Charlotte into the downtown area every day. We also have a commuter bus from several locations into the downtown area.

My husband drives to the train station right now and loves is. He isn't able to use the commuter bus because of his wacky hours at work during busy season, but it has been wonderful to get the train in, and his company subsidizes the monthly cost. During the height of the gas prices, it was far cheaper to take the train in. It still is cheaper, but not quite as good of a deal now.

Charlotte has a great downtown, it is clean and safe.

I don't know about a house rental for under 800/month, but you could come fairly close I think. Much closer than Seattle, that is for sure. (I went to college in Seattle, great city!)

Dawn

Old 01-07-2009, 05:11 PM

61 posts, read 240,010 times
Unfortunately, I can not offer any advice on the OKC busline. GoMetro: A&R Food Service - this is the Oklahoma City metro transit website.

I wish you much luck with your move, wherever it may take you.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:19 AM

10,011 posts, read 8,101,457 times
For goodness sakes get a job BEFORE you move unless you have a PILE of cash.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:58 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,601,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
How far out from where you are now do you want to move?

We moved from LA, CA to Charlotte, NC 3.5 years ago. Charlotte now has a train that travels from south of Charlotte into the downtown area every day. We also have a commuter bus from several locations into the downtown area.

My husband drives to the train station right now and loves is. He isn't able to use the commuter bus because of his wacky hours at work during busy season, but it has been wonderful to get the train in, and his company subsidizes the monthly cost. During the height of the gas prices, it was far cheaper to take the train in. It still is cheaper, but not quite as good of a deal now.

Charlotte has a great downtown, it is clean and safe.

I don't know about a house rental for under 800/month, but you could come fairly close I think. Much closer than Seattle, that is for sure. (I went to college in Seattle, great city!)

Dawn
Dawn, unless OP is a tax professional, I don't see companies needing 80 hrs worth of work in Charlotte right now. Accounting firms are the ones in dire need of seasonal workers at extended hours. D&MofJ - if you are one of these, there's probably the same demand in your area. Tax accountants, depending on their rates can make their annual pay in the 4 months from January to April 15 on tax prep alone. And reps to you for changing the paradigm. God knows not many people do!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
For goodness sakes get a job BEFORE you move unless you have a PILE of cash.
I agree with the sentiment, in better times. However, not unlike the thirties from the dustbowl when all there was to eat was what was in the fridge and freezer, and all the money left was what was in our pockets and in the gas tank, we have the choice of staying where we are and dying slowly, or moving someplace with some work and a lower cost of living. We're not to that point yet, but that date is on the calendar. Yes, in some places, it is that bad.

Worse would be staying put and hoping something changes, IMO.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:59 AM

594 posts, read 1,243,917 times
Try Charlotte, NC or Greensboro, NC
I have done alot of research, and NC has a low cost of living.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:19 AM

395 posts, read 1,359,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadandMomOfJunior View Post
I agree with the sentiment, in better times. However, not unlike the thirties from the dustbowl when all there was to eat was what was in the fridge and freezer, and all the money left was what was in our pockets and in the gas tank, we have the choice of staying where we are and dying slowly, or moving someplace with some work and a lower cost of living. We're not to that point yet, but that date is on the calendar. Yes, in some places, it is that bad.

Worse would be staying put and hoping something changes, IMO.
Wow. You sound just like my husband and me. We made our big move to Oklahoma City on the first of October and our only regret is that our seventeen year old son elected to stay and finish school in Florida. We came here with no employment and no savings, knowing full well that if we remained in Florida with our two remaining kids things would almost certainly get much worse.We needed to move to a place with work and a lower cost of living. Initially we planned on moving to Tulsa, but then we read the Forbes article on OKC and we saw that the housing seems to be a bit less in OKC than in Tulsa. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues