U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-08-2009, 10:22 AM

364 posts, read 1,042,741 times

Advertisements

I'm making a move from St. Louis to Chicago (probably 5 hour drive) and plan on transporting the bed on top of my 4Runner, using the luggage rack. Has anyone done anything like this before? I'm trying to figure out the most secure way of doing so. Definitely don't want the bed to come flying off while going 75 on the interstate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 03:54 PM

8,825 posts, read 23,242,151 times
In principle you could do this if the bed is relatively small. You would need to wrap the matress and box springs up to keep them dry, the frame should be small enough to go into the truck.

Unless all your stuff will go into the 4Runner and you can make this in one trip, I would definitely consider at least a U-haul truck or even just a trailer (one your truck can pull).

Probably something like motorcycle tie downs are called for to strap the bedding down, and good. The aerodynamic force on something the size of a matress are pretty impressive at 75-80 MPH.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:09 PM

1,367 posts, read 3,602,310 times
Yep, my husband and I did this. It sure was interesting watching him pull the car over and go running into the middle of the highway to grab it before the traffic caught up!

Old 01-08-2009, 06:15 PM

364 posts, read 1,042,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
Yep, my husband and I did this. It sure was interesting watching him pull the car over and go running into the middle of the highway to grab it before the traffic caught up!

Good story, but can you elaborate and tell me how you strapped it on so that I can be sure to strap it much more securely?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:40 PM

303 posts, read 1,260,781 times
I wouldn't recommend it for such a long drive...it's really hard to even tie it down well enough for a trip across town driving slow (we've done it before). Your 4 Runner can probably manage a U-haul trailer. The aerodynamics of it are really against you because the wind tries to pick up the mattress as you pick up speed.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:41 AM

700 posts, read 1,716,556 times
2 words...

Wind Sail....

Strap that puppy down!!!

Cant you just buy a new bed in Chicago?? or a futon or something?

Good Luck

Old 01-10-2009, 08:25 AM

2,217 posts, read 482,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
I'm making a move from St. Louis to Chicago (probably 5 hour drive) and plan on transporting the bed on top of my 4Runner, using the luggage rack. Has anyone done anything like this before? I'm trying to figure out the most secure way of doing so. Definitely don't want the bed to come flying off while going 75 on the interstate!
What size bed are you talking about? If it's a single, this should be easy. If it's a double, it's still doable.

First of all, make sure your mattress is protected. A furniture store might have a box you can get, or a heavy plastic bag. If not, you can get inexpensive tarps anywhere.

If you're also taking your bed frame, set that on TOP of the mattress, before you strap it down. Use your headboard too. Also, consider going to Home Depot and getting about 4 2x4 studs to set on top. All this will add rigidity and keep the mattress from lifting in the front.

Strap that baby down! Quarter-inch rope will work, provided you secure it well. Ratchet straps are also good. You can get 6-packs of them at placed like WalMart for about $15.00. This link will show you what I'm talking about. Trailer Parts Superstore - Ratcheting Utility Straps (http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=23 2 - broken link)

I used to run a side-line lawn mowing service with my sons, before they left home. We've secured and hauled just about everything imaginable. They've also traipsed all over the country while traveling with bands. We never once lost anything we were hauling. It can easily be done, provided you have the load secured.

DM me if you have any specific questions.

Good luck!

Old 01-10-2009, 03:10 PM

303 posts, read 1,260,781 times
U-haul stores sell mattress boxes and bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues