Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 03:12 PM

251 posts, read 1,142,577 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd start this thread so we can all share ideas on how to make moving easier and less stressful.

I've moved a lot in my life so I should have this all worked through by now, but I still find it stressful trying to keep life normal while, at the same time, having to both sell and buy a home.

I think making a list of negatives about the home I'm moving from helps keep me from wistfully wanting to stay on days when the sun is bright and the birds are singing outside. I just read through my negatives list and feel ready to box everything up right then and there! (Well, not exactly, but you get the drift.)

I plan on taking photos of how I've got things arranged on my decorative shelving units and tables - so I can pull everything together the same way in my new home.

I'm trying to pack a couple of boxes a day so it's not overwhelming the last few weeks.

I need to begin interviewing different moving companies to find out ahead of time who to go with.

I'm trying to keep some semblance of regularity in my life in spite of almost constant house showings. I'm walking every day and sitting outside in the sunshine. I'm reading about other places around the country to get myself outside of NC and the thought of moving.

Being a Christian, I'm also in prayer asking for extra energy as my husband and I keep our health up while making changes.

What are you doing? Or what have you done in the past to make moving easier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 04:04 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Positive thinking!! A must. Go on a site such as this and find out about the area you are moving and the people. Get comfortable with them. This makes change much easier. Prepare ahead of time. If you are moving animals be sure to have all their shots and certificates. As mentioned, pack as much as possible ahead of time and label those boxes clearly. Clean everything before packing so you only need to take them out and put them where they belong. Find the best deal by doing your research on a moving company or freight company ahead of time. Take it all one day at a time..tomorrow will still come so don't drive yourself crazy today. This is how I am approaching this move...now to see how it works!!

Old 03-07-2007, 04:10 PM

219 posts, read 852,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipstone View Post
I thought I'd start this thread so we can all share ideas on how to make moving easier and less stressful.

I've moved a lot in my life so I should have this all worked through by now, but I still find it stressful trying to keep life normal while, at the same time, having to both sell and buy a home.

I think making a list of negatives about the home I'm moving from helps keep me from wistfully wanting to stay on days when the sun is bright and the birds are singing outside. I just read through my negatives list and feel ready to box everything up right then and there! (Well, not exactly, but you get the drift.)

I plan on taking photos of how I've got things arranged on my decorative shelving units and tables - so I can pull everything together the same way in my new home.

I'm trying to pack a couple of boxes a day so it's not overwhelming the last few weeks.

I need to begin interviewing different moving companies to find out ahead of time who to go with.

I'm trying to keep some semblance of regularity in my life in spite of almost constant house showings. I'm walking every day and sitting outside in the sunshine. I'm reading about other places around the country to get myself outside of NC and the thought of moving.

Being a Christian, I'm also in prayer asking for extra energy as my husband and I keep our health up while making changes.

Skip,
We have decided to move to NC. When the wife told me she would only be taking about 4 or 5 pieces of furniture I was SO HAPPY. I didn't realize however how MANY BOXES of "stuff" I had to pack. I'm still packing and fixing up the place here...............thank God she decided to buy furniture down there.
Can't wait till this is all over.
Can't understand how it is all going to come together.
It will.
But I'm running out of boxes, tape and string.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:30 PM

823 posts, read 3,921,565 times
I like the photos of the shelves idea. Photos of things that have to reassembled might be useful, too (i.e. wire connections on the back of A.V. equipment, computers).

Thanks,
Alice

Old 03-07-2007, 08:33 PM

110 posts, read 455,994 times
Ta da dump, ta da dump, ta da dump dump dump! The best thing we did before moving was DUMP STUFF! Literally took over 10 pickup loads of stuff to the dump or Goodwill. I'm so glad now that I'm unpacking. Even so, I'm finding lots of stuff that I wonder "why in the world did I bring THAT old thing!" Moving is a great time to start over. The less you bring, the easier it will be on the other end.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:48 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin from Oregon View Post
Ta da dump, ta da dump, ta da dump dump dump! The best thing we did before moving was DUMP STUFF! Literally took over 10 pickup loads of stuff to the dump or Goodwill. I'm so glad now that I'm unpacking. Even so, I'm finding lots of stuff that I wonder "why in the world did I bring THAT old thing!" Moving is a great time to start over. The less you bring, the easier it will be on the other end.
Your right Robin...the biggest and best advice is to Purge, Purge, and then Purge again. We were lucky that my DH's company paid for the move (but I still have boxes of who knows what in my basement). My parents on the other hand paid for their own move to the Carolina's...and so after living in the same place for over 30 years they Purged, then Purged again...but they apparently forgot about that last Purge. It wasn't to long after their move was compete...that they decided to have a yard sale (doesn't make much sense does it?)

Old 03-07-2007, 09:22 PM

905 posts, read 3,453,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipstone View Post

1. The list of negatives are good but make a list of the positives as well!

2. Rather that redecorate the way you did in your old home, mix it up a bit. This is new beginning, embrace it!

3. I would guess moving season is fast approaching...start making those calls tomorrow before you find yourself scrambling.

4. Are there certain foods/sodas/treats that are regional to where you live that you enjoy? Pack up a few cases and tote (southern for carry ) them with you. They might bring you some comfort in the early days.

5. Contact resourses for newcomers to help you get up and running in your new community.

6. Like the others said, purge and toss. If you have not worn any old clothers in over a year, donate or dump.

Good Luck

Old 03-08-2007, 09:35 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
I agree on the ridding yourself of all the items you haven't used in the last six months. Chances are if you haven't used it or missed it you never will!!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 03-08-2007 at 10:00 AM..

Old 03-08-2007, 01:31 PM

19 posts, read 64,310 times
IF and WHEN i sell my house, I am hoping the buyers will want or need a lot of stuff. Hoping to have to move as little as possible, as I am trying to downsize anyway.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:51 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
Default Begin Anew

I am moving down to Raleigh this June and will not be bringing too much with me. For a couple of months I have been purging unnecessary things. I have lived in the same place for 25 years. It really add up. My plan is to start almost everything anew in Raleigh. No moving truck is required because I'm buying everything from scratch. I'm taking only limited clothing, paintings, flat screens tv's, stereo, books (few), pots, utensils and a air mattress.

For some its hard letting go, but release yourself from the need to keep items from this point forward that you have not used. Hire a family member to help box those things you are keeping. Better yet throw a girlfriend luncheon and allow your close friends to help. I know mine were happy to have first dibs on my stuff. They left me post-it notes for those things they would like to acquire. I'm happy they are willing to purchase my stuff. Also, once you have moved the frustration is still not over. Either unpacked slowly with those essentials or hire someone to unpack for yourself. Moving will never be easy but relax and ask for help.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues