Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:48 AM

154 posts, read 909,955 times

Advertisements

I've read so many articles about familes leaving the city life and moving to a small rural town instead. My family and I are moving from Northern CA to the midwest (Iowa) where my husband is from, and where his whole family is. I'm a native Californian. I've lived in Iowa briefly before so I have some idea of what it's like. Some parts of it I absolutely love and some parts I didn't like at all. I know this is the best decision for our daughter, who's 2. CA is eating itself alive and I've wanted to leave for a long time. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has moved from CA or other big metropolitan area to a small Midwest or Southern town, and how they were able to adapt to the new lifestyle. I do want to embrace everything the Midwest has to offer. Small town community, open space, low cost of living, friendlier people, my in-laws and a huge extended family that I haven't been able to know until now, 4 seasons, etc.. I will definitely miss CA, and some family I have here, but I want my kids to grow up somewhere safer with a slower pace of life. The quality of life seems so much better there for the middle class. Has anyone made a move like this or simlilar that could share their story? It would be much appreciated! I know I'm not alone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 01:02 PM

35 posts, read 167,003 times
I am planning on making the metropolitan to small town move as well. It just makes since for the working class with young kids. I can't wait! Reading through other strings.. it seems as though kids flourish in the Country. Anyway, I'd like to hear your stories too....

Old 02-09-2009, 04:01 PM

374 posts, read 1,125,252 times
Well, my story is different than what you are looking for, but i will share it anyway. I grew up in the Midwest, my grandparents still live on their small farm in Iowa, but i grew up in a large city (KC). I moved away twelve years ago to come to Alaska, to a rural town, and now I am looking to go back. I was fairly certain that I would never go back to the Midwest, but here I go nonetheless. As for moving from city life to rural life- it is all about your mindset. You can get super involved in your community, church, school, etc, and have some of the best experiences, strongest friendships ever. But you have to make the effort to get involved. When I moved to Alaska, I had never lived in a small town. I became immersed in the community and now I don't think I could ever live in a big city again. When I do move back to the Midwest, it will be to a small community. You know your neighbors, people help each other out, people care about each other, people watch out for each other. It can be sort of isolating at first, but that is where getting involved makes a HUGE difference- whether it is helping out at your church, being a volunteer at the library, or getting involed at your kids school. People see you wanting to be a part of the community, and they will welcome you with open arms. I think it is human nature to be mildly suspicious of new people, and this is definitely true of the Midwest, but if you get to know people and get involved, they will warm up quickly.
I had a friend tell me once that there was some study done that showed that on average, it takes people about 14 months to get acclimated to their new environment after moving. I have found this to be true time and time again- so if you move, and don't like it right away, try to remember the 12-14 month rule. Things in the Midwest are slower paced, and more laid back than anywhere else I have been- even in the cities. The reason we are moving back is probably the same reason you are going there- we want to have a nice house on a chunk of land, have a good area for our kids to grow up, have a garden, small community to be involved in, family close by. We want what used to be the 'American Dream' and has recently become so much less attainable.

Good luck to you both! I think you could thrive there!

Old 02-09-2009, 09:15 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I moved from a big city to a small town and had some difficulties adjusting, but I think you'll be in a much better position because you'll have family connections already in place, as well as some prior Iowa experience of your own. I'm guessing that you're living in the Bay Area now? Big adjustments will probably be both the weather (which I'm sure you're expecting) and lack of cultural diversity; the rural Midwest tends to be a pretty white place. In my experience I found that it was easier to get immediately involved in community issues in a small town; you first form sort of superficial acquaintance relationships (but it will still feel great to run into people you know when you're out and about in town!) but eventually with time - probably even faster because you have a kid - you'll feel fully integrated into the community. And, with cost of living being so much lower in the rural Midwest (although wages are lower, too, I suppose) maybe you can save enough money that you can afford regular CA vacations to share CA's many wonderful cities, natural sites, and small towns with your daughter.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:36 AM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,485,398 times
My advice to you would be 'when in Rome do what the Romans do' what I mean by that is you will do better coming from a big city to a small town if you adopt the customs of the locals and try not to compare too much (at least vocally). I'm a city (San Diego to Boise) girl so the transition for me was harder because I don't like the seasons. I have noticed that the people that have had the most successful transitions in my small town coming from larger cities are the ones that did what I mentioned. Good luck!

Old 02-14-2009, 11:59 AM

733 posts, read 4,653,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
My advice to you would be 'when in Rome do what the Romans do' what I mean by that is you will do better coming from a big city to a small town if you adopt the customs of the locals and try not to compare too much (at least vocally). I'm a city (San Diego to Boise) girl so the transition for me was harder because I don't like the seasons. I have noticed that the people that have had the most successful transitions in my small town coming from larger cities are the ones that did what I mentioned. Good luck!
One thing you need is a bit of scope. For instance, Boise a "small town"? It's got over 200,000 people! To many, if not most, of us in rural America 200,000 is a major city. The "try not to compare too much" is ABSOLUTELY essential. Your comments about how things were in California are not going to be appreciated...even if they are absolutely accurate. Small town America is not urban California, we all know that, and there's not a darn thing we can do about it.

First, learn the history and background of your new small town - and let folks know you WANT to learn about your new home. They'll love telling you their stories. Then they'll want to know YOUR history. Share it, then remind folks you're there now because you WANT to be there and ask them to help you fit in. Guess what? You'll have a passel of new friends real fast who will really want to make you comfortable in your new surroundings.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:22 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
I'm about to retire to a rural Texas home 4 miles from a town of 1200 people and 26 miles from a town of 20,000. I'm looking forward to the change but its been many years since I lived without the sound of the low roar of traffic, whooping sirens and jets flying overhead. This home is outside of "flyover America" and the solitude could drive me insane. However, I doubt it as I am very prepared mentally for this change. I'll come back to C-D in a few weeks and post my mental health; that is if I can find an ISP.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:44 PM

314 posts, read 1,277,478 times
I've lived in a small town in the south east and midwest and a big city in the south east...to me, I LOVED the midwest compared to the south east (Atlanta), especially the small town aspect. but I like walkable, historic neighborhoods, where are apleanty in the the midwest.

I like the ease of a small town. no traffic or real problems like that. with kids I would prefer that. currently i live in the middle of a big city, but live in a small town atmosphere within that context.

In my 20's I would prefer a big active city, and probably in retirement as well, but with young kids I like the small town for sure.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:54 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,485,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windtimber View Post
One thing you need is a bit of scope. For instance, Boise a "small town"? It's got over 200,000 people! To many, if not most, of us in rural America 200,000 is a major city.

Population in San Diego: 1.2 million
Population in Boise : 200,000

Sorry, but to me Boise was- and is a small town.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:58 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post

Population in San Diego: 1.2 million
Population in Boise : 200,000

Sorry, but to me Boise was- and is a small town.
That's what I meant by "scope." I'm sure you don't refer to Boise as a "small town" to folks from Boise and used that description just for purposes of illustration in this thread. Calling Boise a small town when it's the largest city in Idaho and with a population about 2.25 times the next largest city in the state is not a good way to endear yourself to your new neighbors, is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues