Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 AM

70 posts, read 345,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Awesome question. Yes, absolutely.

For me, that would be the Pacific Northwest - Seattle and Portland. I only moved there to follow my family who had relocated there. I was ok living in a major Southeastern metropolis prior to this.

I detested the smug, aloof, depressed (NINE months of gray skies), "walk on eggshells" character of MOST of the people I met. The ones who saw it the way that I did eventually left the area as well, and these include professionals.

To those with a "dreamy" feeling about the Pacific Northwest, make damn sure there is a fit before attempting that relocation...and I don't mean just the fact that the locals are polite when you visit. Living there is another ball game.
Gotta agree with you. I lived on the "wet" side of the Cascades and couldn't hack it. I do love the east side of the mountains though. Not as much gloom, friendlier atmosphere, not as crowded. Good luck to all in finding that special place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 12:18 PM

450 posts, read 1,057,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
A wise person once told me, "If you want something and you try to get it and you can't get it, try again. If you can't get it the second time, accept that the Universe knows more than you do. Let it go. If it's yours, it will come to you. If it's not yours, something better for you will come to you."

That is true for me -- I deliberately live with my awareness in the now absolutely as much as possible, so I can see and savor all the good stuff that's here for me now, instead of living in the past which is nonexistent or the future which never comes. Perhaps your brother and his family might enjoy that information? I wish you joy!
Absolutely one of the best posts I have read in any thread onthis website!!!!

Old 03-29-2009, 09:19 PM

844 posts, read 2,014,872 times
I've lived in Austin about 8 years. Moved here for the funky vibe and job opportunities in high tech; have come to love the music, food, landscape and winter weather. But I've just never managed to make any close friends or any serious relationships. I don't know if my personality just doesn't mesh with the people here or what. But I keep sticking around because I have ended up in a good job and I still love the "weird" architecture and interesting neighborhoods. I wish I could have it all but I guess I'm choosing what's really important to me.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:32 PM

146 posts, read 436,465 times
I am dealing with the misery of leaving Miami and living in DFW area of Texas now. Everyday I just cry because I am so upset because I had visited Florida earlier this month and was about to stay with a friend for a month, but then I decided not to because his mother lived there also and he was having too much financial issues ...so I only stayed for a week and came back to the misery of living with my family here in Texas.

I had lived in Miami previously for 2 years, had issues and came to Texas in 2008. 3 weeks ago I "tried to visit Florida for a month, and if I liked it again would find an apartment". It didnt work out, so I came all the way back to Texas only to be miserable once again. Now I have to wait until the summer for any hope of moving away again. Everytime I try to move back to Miami something always comes up or its just too difficult. Im a 21 year old single and in school so maybe thats why?

Im too jaded in trying to move to Miami again, so now I have decided to try someplace completely different this year so will have to see. I'm with ALLFORCATS also because sometimes invisible forces seem to wreck havoc when you try to return to a place. Why? I dont know. Maybe a reminder of why we left in the 1st place. The hard part is, the only time you can REALLY remember why you left is when you visit or move there again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues